Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looks like we won't be having a Christmas tree again this year!

(14 Posts)
phantomhairpuller Thu 08-Nov-12 17:08:08

Do to the fact that DS (19mo) has just destroyed the one in our local co-op! Smashed baubles and everything! Between juggling my handbag, purse and my shopping, I couldn't get to the little sod quick enough!
We didnt have a tree last year as he was just learning to pull himself up on things and we figured the tree would be prime target! And it looks like this year is a no no too based on what's just happened!
Anyone got any handy tips? Other than putting the tree on the roof?!

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Thu 08-Nov-12 17:09:48

How much of an understanding of no does he have? Failing that have it in a lesser used room, dining room for Example?

HappyAsASandboy Thu 08-Nov-12 17:12:53

We put the tree in the corner of a room and then put several panels from the playpen round it, tucked behind furniture/the fire hearth. Tree and presents in the playpen, toddlers in the room smile

Worked womderfully and we'll be doing it agin this year smile

Floralnomad Thu 08-Nov-12 17:13:35

You could try one of the fibre optic ones that you don't need baubles and stuff on , and put it somewhere a bit less accessible . We have our main tree in the conservatory now so we get the benefit of the lights etc in the lounge without the hassle of actually having it in the lounge. I also have a fibre optic one that goes on the landing at the top of the stairs.

AngryFeet Thu 08-Nov-12 17:14:40

Do this?

phantomhairpuller Thu 08-Nov-12 17:24:48

Like that idea angry! Might just give it a go!
DS understands 'no', it's just whether or not he chooses to obey! Going through a bit of a rebellious 'I know best' phase it seems blush

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 08-Nov-12 17:44:29

When my PFB was born (in the December before the Millenium) we had one last fabulous tree (he was only 18 days old aaahhh )

We bought a fibreoptic for Christmas after that until my DD was 3.6 yo.
I have some very old glass baubles that I feared for their safety (baubles and DC safety) grin

BCBG Thu 08-Nov-12 18:02:39

Put it in a playpen. Worked for years here grin...also works with puppies....

NulliusInBlurba Thu 08-Nov-12 18:19:09

A small tree - 3 ft at the most - in a pot on a very stable full-height table? Or would he just see that as an extra challenge?

Mintyy Thu 08-Nov-12 18:21:14

Serves the co-op right for having a tree up so ludicrously early!

bagpuss Thu 08-Nov-12 18:46:54

We have only had a tiny tree on a very high bookshelf since our dts were tiny, mainly due to lack of floor space. I saw the felt tree idea on pinterest ages ago, and have just shown dh, who actually agreed that it was quite a cool idea - will probably do that this year! Other than that, you can still make the house look really Christmassy with garlands of fake foliage, candles etc. we still have a space for leaving Santa a mince pie and it all still feels magical for the dc without a big tree.

MrsDimples Thu 08-Nov-12 19:19:25

We have a fibre optic tree & put the baubles out of reach.

I just saw some very cheap table top ones in Asda.

Is he your only child?
They won't 'know' it's Christmas, or miss having a tree, so a little one on a table could be a nice gesture to having a tree.

If you're slightly crafty there are some DIY felt trees to put on a wall, with felt decorations etc on Pinterest, especially for babies & toddlers smile

Indith Thu 08-Nov-12 19:33:39

We've never not had a tree, when you have one in the house it loses the novelty factor after a few days. You just make sure the baubles that could break are out of reach and you don't leave them unsupervised in the room the tree is in.

helpyourself Thu 08-Nov-12 19:59:08

Baubles up high and use it as a learning tool. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now