Talk

Advanced search

Help with gift for FIL

(13 Posts)
BadPoet Thu 08-Nov-12 16:59:11

I know, I know it is such a cliche - but I honestly find him impossible to buy for. Our budget is £20- £30 and it is so hard to get something pleasing and personal for that - he loves technology but we can't afford to get him an IPad! He doesn't read (books that is, does read newspapers but he has a subscription already). He listens exclusively to the radio, not CDs. Have exhausted belts, gloves, scarves, ties etc. The aftershave-y gift set we once gave is still untouched in the bathroom.

Food, drink and experience vouchers (done afternoon tea and champagne lunch) do go down well but that's a gift for both him and Mil and she gets something for herself as well - easy to buy for! He does play golf but I try to limit new golf balls to once every second year and we gave them last year.

Dh will just say golf balls when I ask. Any ideas welcome!

Spons Thu 08-Nov-12 17:02:39

A DAB radio? Best present I've bought my Dad recently! Tickets for a theatre show you can all go to together?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 08-Nov-12 17:08:28

we do a food hamper for P&L every year.
find lovely local products for them, that each don't cost much but they wouldn't normally buy.
So local farm apple juice
locally smoked ham
local rolled oats
etc.

they give us the basket back each year and we fill it up again. Perhaps something to start? Last year I found a little silver brooch for Mil and a silver tooth pick holder for FiL so they each had a little thing that was just for them.

It did come to a little more than your budget but is a joint gift.

FireOverBabylon Thu 08-Nov-12 17:09:43

Where does he get his technology from? Amazon or Maplin vouchers?

Also, there are other golf stuff you can get other than balls wink and you can get vouchers to get a cheaper round of golf.

BadPoet Thu 08-Nov-12 17:16:55

He has a DAB radio already, bought it himself a few years back. Hampers we have done, and they are getting one this year between them (tends to be that or a bottle of expensive booze, or tickets/voucher) but there is always something each as well e.g Mil has a book this year, of an art exhibition she wanted to go to but didn't manage.
Sorry I don't mean to be negative - he is just hard to buy for I guess!

BadPoet Thu 08-Nov-12 17:25:31

Maybe Amazon vouchers thanks - he does (or did) have a Kindle although I doubt he uses it - got it through a comedy of errors I won't go into - and yes another golfy thing is a good idea too although as you may be able to tell I have no idea what is a useful gift and what is just a gimmick! grin

motherofluvlies Thu 08-Nov-12 18:36:54

Boot bag for golf shoes?

BadPoet Thu 08-Nov-12 19:07:02

Oh that's a good idea thanks - I am fairly sure he won't have anything like that, probably using a plastic bag. Have found a couple of links and will show to dh later. Thanks.

I liked the round of golf vouchers too - sadly no participating clubs anywhere near either us, him or normal holiday destinations.

By next year I need to have convinced him to take up watercolours or cross-stitch or something.

Thanks everyone!

ZombieBelle Thu 08-Nov-12 19:13:36

cook book? we bought fil one of the hairy bikers books, mum knows best i think it was called.

WineGless Thu 08-Nov-12 22:17:37

From the bargainous Christmas thread
the spicery
embroidered golf towel

Tinkerisdead Thu 08-Nov-12 22:27:34

My dh is a keen golfer. Ive got him a bag for golf shoes, previously i got him a personalised golf towel from dd that says (when i grow up i want to be daddy's caddy) vomit i know! This year i've got a golf ball marker with dd's photo and a golf divot tool that i had engraved and it cost me about three quid. This time i've had "enjoy the break from the pesky kids" put on it.

If thats any good shout and i'll post the links up.

TeeBee Thu 08-Nov-12 23:26:23

Subscription to a golfing magazine. Golfing jumper.
I bought my fil one of those scratch-off uk maps which went down well.
Talking Heads audio cd.
Vouchers for the cinema.
Does he like to eat out? Vouchers for his fave restaurant.

monkeymamma Fri 09-Nov-12 10:14:02

Ordanance Survey do a personalised map with your housr/address of your choice for just 16pounds. It is a great gift imo and u can choose the cover image, wording etc. We got one for my dad as he loves maps :-) and its also useful as you can manage a longish journey with just one map. If he already has sat nav you could have it framed instead! Just have a look on their website if thisight work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now