Talk

Advanced search

Do you? and if so, why?

(24 Posts)
Marzipanface Thu 08-Nov-12 13:53:30

Dress up for Christmas dinner or pjs/casual clothes?

Traditional Christmas dinner or something unconventional?

Presents for all or just kids?

Christmas lists or surprises?

Religious services or stay at home?

Orgy of present unwrapping or controlled distribution through the day?

Family decorated tree or poncetastic colour coordination?

Hand back presents if unwanted or smile and say thanks?

Do you host or do family congregate with contributions?

Stockings for all or just for the young ones?

Just curious...

Doshusallie Thu 08-Nov-12 13:57:28

Dress up for Christmas dinner or pjs/casual clothes? - we tend to put on something nice, although this year I have bought christmas jumpers for everyone so it will be more casual

Traditional Christmas dinner or something unconventional? - don't usuallly have turkey but other than that it's pretty traditional

Presents for all or just kids? - presents for all. Deffo. Everyone likes presents.

Christmas lists or surprises? - bit of both

Religious services or stay at home? - stay at home these days but I did go to mass as a child

Orgy of present unwrapping or controlled distribution through the day? - orgy of stockings - then do under tree pressies later when guests arrive

Family decorated tree or poncetastic colour coordination? - former

Hand back presents if unwanted or smile and say thanks? - latter - rude otherwise!!!

Do you host or do family congregate with contributions? - we usually host

Stockings for all or just for the young ones? - I prefer stockings for all but have to persuade tightarsecan'tbebothered DH

mogandme Thu 08-Nov-12 13:59:53

Pj's for the morning, then dress up for lunch usually wearing one of the clothes gifts we have been given

Traditional Christmas dinner

Presents for all - there are no kids in our family as yet smile

Started a new tradition this year but generally half and half - we have christmas lists but we can also buy other gifts.

We stay at home - although have been known to go to the nativity service on Christmas evening

We have an orgy of present unwrapping - usually all unwrapped by 10am blush

Family decorated tree but sometimes we do poncetastic colour coordination?

We smile and say thanks to unwanted gifts.

Stockings for all

PuggyMum Thu 08-Nov-12 14:05:14

Pj's in the am for breakfast / present unwrapping. Then shower and wear something nice for lunch.

A variation on a theme here. Rarely do turkey but will have a really nice roast with all the trimmings. No one likes Xmas pud so last year we had the m&s snow bomb!

Presents for all. Absolutely.

If people have something they want and let us know we try to accom but I hate the 'can you get x. It's item 12345 in Argos'. Although have done that for niece this year as she is getting a big dolls house and we have bought the accessory pack.

Controlled opening. We take turns. Although this will be the first year we have dn here so may be an orgy for her!!

Smile and say thanks. Always.

When I am hosting I don't expect contributions. But if people offer I will ask for wine / beer etc.

When I am visiting I ask the host. But have always been told no need to contribute..... I still take lots of alcohol and a generous gifts for host.

shinybaubles Thu 08-Nov-12 14:05:18

Dress up for Christmas dinner or pjs/casual clothes? normally semi smart contemplating pyjamas this year

Traditional Christmas dinner or something unconventional? Christmas Dinner

Presents for all or just kids? Presents for all

Christmas lists or surprises? Both

Orgy of present unwrapping or controlled distribution through the day?COntrolled distribution - other wise chaos follows

Family decorated tree or poncetastic colour coordination? bit of both - family decoarated and then rearranged secretly

Do you host or do family congregate with contributions? I host but family contribute in many ways, food , entertaining children , doing dishes - combined effort

Stockings for all or just for the young ones? stockings for young.

Marne Thu 08-Nov-12 14:05:45

Dress up- i dress the kids up if we have family over, this year they have x-mas jumpers, i wear my jeans and a top.

Decorations - traditional (red, greens, paper chains)

Presents- mainly for the kids, dh and i buy each other a couple of gifts and we buy one gift for each family member.

Christmas lists - a bit of both, kids write lists but i buy a few suprises too.

Religious services or stay at home - my dd's go to a church school so we do the church service before they break up, we dont go to mass.

Opening presents - usualy its a rush if we are going out but htis year its just us and we are staying at home so it will be controlled.

Tree decorating - the kids do it and then i re-do it when they are in bed.

Hand back presents - no, if we have something we dont want then we e-bay it or swap with someone blush

Family- we dont tend to congragate, we dont see most of our family, some will visit over christmas but not many (mainly just my parents).

Stockings - just for the kids (unless you include the ones i wear for dh as a christmas treat) grin.

PuggyMum Thu 08-Nov-12 14:06:21

Oh and poncetastic xmas tree. Whilst drinking mulled wine and with polar express / equally cheesy Xmas film.

I will go to Xmas eve carol service but I am not particularly religious!

Mousefunk Thu 08-Nov-12 14:17:42

Dress up for Christmas dinner or pjs/casual clothes? Its a PJ day for us although I might get dressed this year on account of the hideous photos.. grin
Traditional Christmas dinner or something unconventional? We're veggies/i'm vegan so no meat and instead we try to find an alternative main every year but other than that very traditional.
Presents for all or just kids? Pretty much just kids. DH and I get one another a little something but thats it.
Christmas lists or surprises? DCs are too young for lists yet so all surprises, I suspect we'll do a bit of both when they're older.
Religious services or stay at home? Stay at home.
Orgy of present unwrapping or controlled distribution through the day? Orgy wink
Family decorated tree or poncetastic colour coordination? Oh god, my mother colour coordinates according to how her room is decorated.. No thanks. We have an array of different random decorations, some which make no sense.
Hand back presents if unwanted or smile and say thanks? Smile and say thanks then stuff in in the spare room
Do you host or do family congregate with contributions? We have Christmas Day just as us and then go to family on Boxing day/27th.
Stockings for all or just for the young ones? Just for the young.

Dress up for Christmas dinner or pjs/casual clothes? I always buy a new outfit for Christmas day, not usually a dressy outfit though

Traditional Christmas dinner or something unconventional? Traditional

Presents for all or just kids? Presents for all

Christmas lists or surprises? Bit of both

Religious services or stay at home? Stay at home

Orgy of present unwrapping or controlled distribution through the day? They all get opened ASAP in the morning

Family decorated tree or poncetastic colour coordination? Bit of both. We have two trees. One with baubles and decorations that have memories, handmade and bought. The other one is poncy and colour coordinated

Hand back presents if unwanted or smile and say thanks? Smile and say thanks

Do you host or do family congregate with contributions? We all congregate at a family members house

Stockings for all or just for the young ones? For all

wordfactory Thu 08-Nov-12 16:29:01

We don't dress up, as in black tie, but we do make an effort.

Trad everytime. Bronze turkey with all the trimmings.

Oh everyone gets gifts. I have a large extended family

Mixture. if someone wants somehting then they should let me know, otherwise I'll choose.

Stay at home. Though pre xmas both DC sing in choirs so carol services ago go.

Orgy

Both - three tees blush

Smile of course

I host. I have most space and most cash.

No stocking for anyone.

Just curious...

44SoStartingOver Thu 08-Nov-12 16:31:13

Pjs in the morning, then full on posh clothes

Trad

All!

Both

Sah!

With breaks

Both

Bloody hell no!

Host

All

Just curious...

Marzipanface Thu 08-Nov-12 16:42:09

Pjs then relent and usually put on something comfy and vaguely festive for dinner.

Trad Christmas dinner normally but thinking of not having turkey this year

Presents for all

Bit of both-love surprises

Not religious

somewhat controlled apart from stockings

family decorated

Always smile and say thank you

Congregate with contributions

Stockings for little ones

fuzzpig Thu 08-Nov-12 16:42:27

New jammies for present opening. Then we normally get dressed in regular clothes but I think I'd like to make more effort this year, maybe get the DCs a new outfit or something.
Pretty traditional, although not for dessert as we don't like mince pies or Xmas pud.
All! DH and I love choosing each other nice gifts, although DCs get more spent on them.
Usually surprises but sometimes we give each other ideas. DCs haven't written an Xmas list before and so far have always been over the moon with whatever they are given - but we do keep an eye on things they mention. I guess we'll do lists when they are older (5 and 3 currently).
Stay home, just us 4. Would like to go to a service though.
Strictly one at a time for tree presents! We take turns. It is usually all done in the morning though.
No colour scheme, just a mishmash of family decorations including several naice ones from my childhood, and the ones we've chosen for the DCs each year.
Smile and sigh inwardly, though it doesn't usually happen thankfully. My parents hate choosing gifts so just give us money which is useful.
If we have family round we do it all. When my parents are here it's like babysitting.
Previously just the DCs - we've only done them for the last two years - but this year we've agreed to do them for each other too!

Rindercella Thu 08-Nov-12 16:46:01

Dress up for Christmas dinner or pjs/casual clothes? Dress up slightly - it's nice to make an effort.

Traditional Christmas dinner or something unconventional? Traditional, but a capon rather than turkey. Because I don't like turkey and a capon will easily serve us all, plus some for leftovers/curry on Boxing Day.

Presents for all or just kids? Presents for all.

Christmas lists or surprises? Bit of both.

Religious services or stay at home? Christingle service on Christmas Eve with the children. Tis madness.

Orgy of present unwrapping or controlled distribution through the day? Mostly the former, because we just cannot help ourselves.

Family decorated tree or poncetastic colour coordination? I would like to think it's the latter, but in reality it's 'family decorated'.

Hand back presents if unwanted or smile and say thanks? Hmm...mostly smile and say thanks.

Do you host or do family congregate with contributions? Mostly I host. Some guests are very generous though.

Stockings for all or just for the young ones? Just for the little ones...it's the only way I keep costs down as I go all out in everything else.

anklebitersmum Thu 08-Nov-12 16:56:16

Dressed up

Traditional but goose or duck

All

both

home

Santa delivers unwrapped overnight sacks opened on end of our bed. Pressies from tree are opened after breakfast

Decorated by all of us although I am a bit of a 'Monica'

Smile and say thanks..hand back?? shock

Host or do 'just us'.

All the children get stockings

Traditionally we always have a great big real tree with heaps of plain white lights that we all go out to choose.

BiddyPop Thu 08-Nov-12 17:03:12

We tend to still be dressed up in nice clothes from visiting earlier in the day. Sometimes, I may have changed into less formal but still nice things.

Traditional turkey - although we are thinking of goose to accompany the spiced beef (essential) this year instead.

Oh, presents for all of course!! Although, my siblings and I changed (about 5 years ago now when all well into their 20's) to having a KK draw so everyone buys 1 big present and gets 1 big present; and you get something either €5 or less, or make yourself, something for everyone else AND all the significant others (SOs are not yet in the KK draw, but may be next year - change comes slowly!!).

Surprises. Sometimes there may be hints for things someone would like, but not a full on list, and the end result may be very different anyway. But it can be difficult sometimes coming up with something some people may want/need/love rather than another year of bath smellies (although Mum still loves a Chanel No.5 bath bubbles set).

Mass on Christmas morning - timing depends on location and whether my Uncle is saying it somewhere, but it's one of 2 times a year we are guaranteed to go to Mass.

If staying with family, 2 orgies (1 on emergence from bedroom first thing at PILs, 2nd late afternoon in my parents). In our house, 1 controlled orgy in late afternoon when visiting done, turkey in oven and a bottle of something can be opened!!

Family version but tastefully done!!

"A Guide smiles and sings under all difficulties" - and I'm afraid of a clip around the ear from my mother!! grin

If we stay in our house, it's just us 3. If we travel, both our mother's host (PIL eat at midday, my parents late evening), so we bring something with us to both. We can't really host them as we are 160 miles away.

DD gets her stocking as a proper stocking. Any of my siblings sleeping under my parents roof on 24th get the traditional "fruit, sweets, undies and a book". And then my siblings also now have the €5/less pressies which do actually come in a stocking (as I was daft enough to sew those a couple of years ago). I am trying to persuade DH to do one for each other this year grin

Marzipanface Thu 08-Nov-12 20:33:08

Re: the hand back presents question. Both SIL have done this to me and family. Seriously against my family's present culture so wondered if it was just my family that made a big thing about respecting gifts no matter how naff they are!

bedmonster Thu 08-Nov-12 20:43:24

Always intend to be looking nice but ALWAYS end up looking harassed and in the same clothes I wear every day!

No turkey for us but a goose with all the trimmings, followed by delias chocolate torte, no xmas pud.

Everyone, would seem weird otherwise.

Mostly lists for DC with a few surprises, and all surprises for DP and I.

Stay at home.

Full on orgy grin - stockings in bed then straight downstairs to the under the tree presents, though this has always been the case because we would be out for the remainder of the day. This year we are at home on our own - BLISS! so things may be done a little differently.

Family decorated, looks like a bomb's hit it but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Smile and say thanks of course! then put it in the regifting cupboard

Both.

Just for the kids although the DDs have made their Daddy a stocking for the presents they have chosen.

What a lovely thread, it's really nice to see how other people do things. Thanks OP!

Marzipanface Thu 08-Nov-12 21:52:23

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else does too!

Kelly281 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:11:02

we go out to my cousins for the day, so we have to dress up.

Traditional dinner, with all the trimmings and loads of pud choices.

Presents for all. Distributed by an uncle dressed as Santa. We all go home with a big stash of pressies

Surprises

i go to Xmas eve mass with the ladies of the family, menfolk and children stay at home

orgy of Santa/parents presents in morning, then again with extended family after lunch

decorated by me, as DD is too young. I have no skill at it what so ever, so looks family decorated

say thanks

cosuin hosts, there's usually up to 20 of us all day, more appear in the evening

just DD

smile

anja1cam Thu 08-Nov-12 23:13:26

Thanks - great thread. We're mixing two Christmas traditions, though British prevails since we're in the UK:
---------
Get properly dressed in nice clothes and have relaxed breakfast before the first present is opened!

Quite traditional, if you are German grin

For all - though we the 'middle generation' have agreed with siblings and their partners no longer to give gifts to each other. But our parents asked to be excluded and still give & get them. It's not awkward and works for us.

Christmas lists or surprises? Both - Lists are for inspiration!

Religious services or stay at home? Occasional trips to services are possible

Orgy of present unwrapping or controlled distribution through the day? Controlled - the kids hand them out in turn from one big pile and we take breaks too

Family decorated tree or poncetastic colour coordination? Family all the way and the same decs come out every year / get added to

Hand back presents if unwanted or smile and say thanks? Always smile and grateful thanks. Occasionally I have, much later, indicated a preference when there was a risk of 'recurrence'

Do you host or do family congregate with contributions? We host a small Family these days, but everyone chips in to help

Stockings for all or just for the young ones? For all, but they just contain 'the small pressies' and rarely have things especially bought for them, certainly not the adult ones. When putting the presents under the tree we just see which ones will fit into our respective stockings and I might add a few sweets here and there... They then hang in the kitchen and we usually open them last!

izzywizzyisbizzy Thu 08-Nov-12 23:37:46

We dress for dinner, DCs have new clothes (only smart new jeans for DS party dress for DD), we also have new jamas on Christmas Eve for the morning photos, we did it as children and I liked it so i have carried it on

Proper stuffed turkey dinner, yum yum

Just kids, have too many to afford for adults

suprises for as long as I can get away with it

SAH

1 present at a time in the morning, second lot after dinner

family decorated

Smile, say thanks and try to figure out where to send it back to

Family congregate somewhere

Stockings for young ones and older DCs, DH and I get nothing, see above re too many kids, we usually try to book a groupon deal and get a night away together rather than have a present.

Just curious...

AuntySib Thu 08-Nov-12 23:51:11

Dress up for Christmas dinner or pjs/casual clothes? Not planned but the way its panned out is that ladies/girls dress up ( cos we like a new xmas outfit, even if it's only a sparkly jumper) men and boys in their usual jeans, maybe a new shirt if they've been given one that morning!

Traditional Christmas dinner or something unconventional? Traditional, though teenage sons asking if we can have beef instead of turkey this year

Presents for all or just kids? Pressies for all. Sometimes pre-agree that there will be a £5 limit on adult pressies, will then look for something quirky in boot sales/markets

Christmas lists or surprises? Mixture of both

Religious services or stay at home? stay at home ( but like to have a walk at some point)

Orgy of present unwrapping or controlled distribution through the day? Stocking orgy for immediate family, pressies with visiting family before and after lunch, then hold a few back for evening/next day

Family decorated tree or poncetastic colour coordination? family decorated.

Hand back presents if unwanted or smile and say thanks? hand back presents??? Wouldn't dream of being so rude.

Do you host or do family congregate with contributions? take it in turns with SIL.

Stockings for all or just for the young ones? Stockings for all ( to guarantee that I get one too!)

MumofWombat Fri 09-Nov-12 01:00:21

I'll wear a dress, DH a nice tshirt & shorts, DS a Xmas tshirt

Traditional for Oz, BBQ giant prawns and salad

For everyone

No actual lists but we might give a number of ideas that DS might like

Stay at home

A controlled orgy might be the best way of describing it!

Family decorated

Smile and say thanks. To hand back would be rude

Family congregate with contributions

Just the young ones

Just curious...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now