Talk

Advanced search

Leappad 2 or proper tablet? Desicions Desicions....

(5 Posts)
OohMrDarcy Thu 08-Nov-12 12:24:01

DD - yr1, will be 6 in feb

She has never had any kind of games console / ds / etc before

She works away happily on laptops and tablets at school,

We want to get her a tablet of some kind for christmas -we think. Not going to spend loads on one as wouldn't want to be panicking every time she touched it! Looked at the leappad 2 which does look good, but was wondering how long it would last before she outgrows it etc

Could get a basic proper tablet for similar money, and obviously - a fair number of android apps are free, so would probably work out cheaper long term!

Anyone been through this decision already ?

I work in IT so happy assesing specs, its more a case of which she would get more use of!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 08-Nov-12 13:04:26

We are having the same dilemma about getting something for DS1 - he is in Reception.

Initially we looked at just the Innotab and the Leappad, but we really resent being tied in to their software for games and apps and were worried about longevity.

We are now looking at the Kurio because it has such fabulous parental controls.

shinybaubles Thu 08-Nov-12 13:28:44

I would not get her a leappad etc something designed for children there is no need she is almost the same ages as my ds 1, and he can use with ease ipad, samsung tablet and laptops. We did last year buy a leappad dh threw it in the bin on boxing day. If you do want something specifically child centered maybe the Kurio, but I see no need.
There are many apps for ipads and other tablets , cheap and or free, much better. We bought a family ipad as we didn't want him to think he had umlimited use etc...even the almost 3 year old can use it ( not that he's allowed to often). Even the cheapest tablet is better, I think.

olibeansmummy Thu 08-Nov-12 17:45:48

I'd go for a tablet but you're probably better placed than me to decide which one!

OohMrDarcy Thu 08-Nov-12 19:29:46

Think we have decided on a tablet this one to be exact, at least - if it comes back in stock!

Have been looking and there are plenty of parental control apps for android, and you can also change the content filtering for what apps you want them to be able to see in play store

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now