Advanced search

Has anyone else gone OTT?

(451 Posts)
KrassKim Tue 06-Nov-12 19:58:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KrassKim Tue 06-Nov-12 20:00:52

iloveholidays Tue 06-Nov-12 20:04:08

I honestly feel that people should spend what they want and can afford and not worry what others think.

I assume you've bought a big item on DD1 for it to be that much?

Wish I could... DP would never allow me!! smile

Vickles Tue 06-Nov-12 20:06:30

I just think you're setting yourself for trouble later, when your little ones get older, and expect that kind of money spent on them.

I am all for spoiling our kids, believe me, but honestly, I think you're mad to spend £700 on a 3 year old. But, each to their own.

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:09:30

I normally buy loads and spend loads, I thought this year I would be frugal and keep it to 6, LOL that has not happened. They don't have anything really left to buy they have iPods 3ds's a wii bikes ect ect so even without massive presents I have still spent quite a bit. (they have about 12 presents each and stocking stuff already)

iloveholidays Tue 06-Nov-12 20:12:09

I see where you're coming from Vickles but I bet there are a lot of kids that get a lot bought for them during the year when they ask for stuff and the OP says she doesn't buy during the year.

I was having a conversation with DP the other day and saying that I'm sure Christmas is going to get more and more expensive as the kids grow up, as if they need (if I can use that word) a laptop I'd rather save it to buy for Christmas than just get one during the year. Maybe I'm a bit naive though...

Each to their own as you say.

Yama Tue 06-Nov-12 20:12:30

I would estimate that dd who is 7 will get about £80 spent on her, ds who is 2 about £50. I actually find this excessive as family will give them gifts too.

kige Tue 06-Nov-12 20:12:57

I wouldn't worry about it, it's totally up to you. Am v interested in what you bought with the £700 though!

Only thing is, I like to get toys through the year as bribes so would not spend so much in one go.

BabyDubsEverywhere Tue 06-Nov-12 20:13:19

Im the same Kim, I'll be spending around 400 each on mine, (5yrs, 4yrs, and 6months) and i could spend more tbh. I wont buy anything they wont definatly use, or that i wont have room for - nothing left to rot at the bottom of the toy box!

I dont tend to but much through the year and I dont really do holidays, so i go a bit nuts at christmas. I probably spend about the same amount again on christmassy activities all through december if im honest.

Dont feel guilty, just enjoy it, everyone does christmas different, theres no right or wrong way smile

NewNames Tue 06-Nov-12 20:14:08

What have you bought that came to 700 quid?

MikeLitoris Tue 06-Nov-12 20:16:17

I always go ott compared to some on here.

I dont buy the setting yourself up for trouble stuff either.

Ds has always been 'spoilt' at christmas, huge piles of stuff, usually around £500+

He is now 12 and all he has asked for is a hollister tshirt and 1 computer game.

Last year we hid his big present until later in the day and he didn't bat an eyelid. No tantrums in sight.

Get them whatever you want to and dont worry about what others do.

milkymocha Tue 06-Nov-12 20:16:44

Children are for spoiling!
Have you finished buying their presents out of interest?

VirginiaDare Tue 06-Nov-12 20:17:05

It's up to you of course, but since you did ask, I personally think its a bit obscene to spend that much money on small children. I'd spend less than half that and give the rest to a charity to provide presents for children in poverty.

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:18:53

You go ott on here for spending £50 tbh it's not real life and I don't know anyone who spends under a £100 IRL and I'm talking benefits poor not middle class we have no money but spend £20 on olive oil poor.

TheReturnOfBridezilla Tue 06-Nov-12 20:22:24

My estimated spend is 250 on my 3yo and 180 on my 1yo and I thought I'd got a bit overexcited! grin

It is lovely to spoil them now and then though.

What did you get in total for £700 [nosy]

KrassKim Tue 06-Nov-12 20:25:57

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:29:47

It's not hard to spend £700 if you have it. £200 for clothes pjs slippers dressing gown easy, £150 main present, 4 or 5 crafty sets at £20 each is another £100, a baby born doll pushchair clothes and accessories is another £150 then if you wanted to start on lego or play mobile. Oh and board games are expensive to!

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:30:55

Xpost OP was just generalising on mine

I wish I could spoil mine again this year.

KrassKim Tue 06-Nov-12 20:34:15

PinkSoccerMum Tue 06-Nov-12 20:36:04

I have spent around that much so far on DS 6, it's what my DM done and still does with us and I don't see any problem with it if you can afford it! grin

ginmakesitallok Tue 06-Nov-12 20:37:30

We haven't started Xmas shopping yet - but hoping not to go OTT this year - will spend no more than £250 on each - promise!

olibeansmummy Tue 06-Nov-12 20:43:33

I honestly can't think of what I'd buy to add up to that amount tbh!

MrsDimples Tue 06-Nov-12 20:47:15

We've gone a bit OTT too.

We started getting things in August and then said we'll just X, Y & Z and then that's it. Except we'd see another bargain and then get that and then another, seemed to good to an offer to let go wink.

It totalled about £200 til this week, when I've spent another 50, partly courtesy of the bargains thread on here blush. The pile looks way, way bigger than what has been spent though. Not one thing is full price and there is a lot of second hand and charity shop finds.

She'll only a present off two other people too.

MrsDimples Tue 06-Nov-12 20:51:37

Actually, part of the 50 this week is Y and just got Z to get now. Was waiting for the Tesco voucher thingy.

pumpkinsweetie Tue 06-Nov-12 20:58:53

Go with what you can afford and make money equal for all children dependant on ages etc.
I'm spending £100 on each of my four dds this year as my dh was made redundant that is my limit, last year i spent around £200 on them each.
Nieces/nephews around £15-20 each, dh £60 parents £20 each, sisters/sils around £20 each, friends/aqquintances around £5 and then last but not least around £10 each for dcs stocking contents.
In total for Christmas this year not including food is around i'm spending around £680 on Christmas gifts for everybody and i started last month in bits n bobs and when i can afford it.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now