Talk

Advanced search

Refuge gift list (John Lewis)

(35 Posts)
JackThePumpkinKing Tue 06-Nov-12 18:09:58

Seems like a good idea to me! grin

www.redonline.co.uk/news/sam-baker-s-daily-letter/john-lewis-refuge-gift-list

"Every year, Refuge try to ensure that every woman and child in their refuges receive a minimum of two to three presents each to unwrap on Christmas day. As Refuge say, 'The Christmas gift initiative is vital to ensure that refuges became places of joy on a day that has the potential to very bleak and hard.'
The charity have a gift list at John Lewis for the appeal so it could not be simpler. You can go as small as a counting block for £2.99, to as big as a pair of roller blades for £40. Whatever you pick, you will know that there?s a child in a refuge somewhere who will have a present to open on Christmas morning ? thanks to you.
Surely, this is the best reason to start your Christmas shopping early this year?
Go to Johnlewisgiftlist.com and enter list number 522953. (*The gift list has to close on 6th December 2012 so that there is time to get the presents to each of the Refuges*)

TomsBentPinky Tue 06-Nov-12 18:12:35

Thats lovely. I will definatly buy something from it. Thankyou x

charleybarley Tue 06-Nov-12 18:13:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toughasoldboots Tue 06-Nov-12 18:14:42

Thanks for posting this, will buy something.

JackThePumpkinKing Tue 06-Nov-12 18:15:02

I wonder if its worth reposting to AIBU?

charleybarley Tue 06-Nov-12 18:29:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ditavonteesed Tue 06-Nov-12 18:33:24

thats so nice, marking my place so I can find the gft list number tom.

bumasbigasthetv Tue 06-Nov-12 18:36:46

Will definately do this. Having spent time in refuge, i think it's a brilliant idea

TheEnthusiasticTroll Tue 06-Nov-12 18:50:14

That is great how does it work in terms of the gifts getting to fefuge, do we donate at store or if order will it automatically be delivered?

JackThePumpkinKing Tue 06-Nov-12 18:52:19

I think Refuge/John Lewis distribute them to the refuges.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Tue 06-Nov-12 18:55:09

So we can buy on line from the gift list then?

ditavonteesed Tue 06-Nov-12 18:57:31

looks like we just choose something and pay with card and they do the rest

AudrinaAflame Tue 06-Nov-12 19:10:38

Gosh that was very easy to do. They have lovely things, purple hair-driers and straighteners etc very reasonably priced. I always think that older children tend to be the ones to miss their possessions during upheavals so will be getting something for an older boy next. Thanks OP smile

JackThePumpkinKing Tue 06-Nov-12 19:32:39

I imagine it works in exactly the same way as a normal wedding/gift list. Just buy online and they sort out all the rest smile

Awesome idea, isn't it smile

Downbytheocean Tue 06-Nov-12 19:49:44

Thanks for posting, I'll definitely do this. Let's keep this in active convos!

Downbytheocean Tue 06-Nov-12 20:09:54

I bought a nursery rhyme book and a toy train, the sort of things my baby and three year old would like. Has made me very tearful to think of the kids they will go to. Hopefully this brings a small amount of joy.

I've ordered things my DCs would like, what a lovely idea.

noviceoftheday Tue 06-Nov-12 21:36:55

What a fantastic idea. Thanks OP. I am also doing an extra grocery shop this year just before christmas and donate to my local foodbank in case anyone else fancies doing the same.

VirtuallyHere Tue 06-Nov-12 21:56:26

Thankyou OP so much for sharing the link - I was wondering how to donate something to a refuge this Xmas and this is ideal. It is a brilliant idea by the charity and I hope it is successful. I have purchased an item and I have also messaged Refuge via facebook asking them to put a small article about it on their facebook page so people can share the news (and the link) - hopefully the news would spread as it would be fantastic to see the whole list sell out.

Noviceoftheday - we think alike, I am also contributing to our local foodbank!

hermioneweasley Tue 06-Nov-12 21:58:21

Marking my place

CitizenOscar Tue 06-Nov-12 22:08:25

Think it's a great idea too.

colditz Tue 06-Nov-12 22:11:51

I have just sent some finger puppets!

upinthehills Tue 06-Nov-12 22:21:37

I do think they need to go back in an edit the list though - very little below £9 left now - it will put lots of people off buying.

Some of the things a bit strange - a lego grey base plate for £8.99 - bit of a rubbish present imo - better a lego set in a box that you can build for the same price. I would like to see more kid toys on the list - though maybe they have all be bought already.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Tue 06-Nov-12 22:23:13

Yes I thought that too about the list. Not the expense but the limited gifts that are available.

serin Tue 06-Nov-12 22:53:02

upinthehills, but surely they will give the base plate with some lego, on its own it would be useless hmm

I hope John lewis are actually contributing to the appeal as well, not just raking in a nice little profit for themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now