Talk

Advanced search

Books for a story-hungry 2.5 year old

(32 Posts)
jumblequeen Tue 06-Nov-12 17:44:18

ANY suggestions very much appreciated. We have exhausted Julia Donaldson, Quentin Blake, Janet & Allen Ahlberg, Dr Suess, Dick Bruna, Judith Kerr and Shirley Hughes.

Thanks!

3bunnies Tue 06-Nov-12 18:14:12

Ds likes Dragon Stew by steve smallman, and You Choose, he also enjoys the Charlie and Lola books, though they are a bit longer, and a Mr Men book if he's really lucky. He is generally happy with whatever is in the library or on offer at the book people. He also likes us to read books again, and again, and again...

Marne Tue 06-Nov-12 18:47:29

'Aliens in Underpants Save the World' (both mine liked this and it has been read to death).

jumblequeen Tue 06-Nov-12 19:44:00

Ooh, great suggestions! Thanks both.

olibeansmummy Tue 06-Nov-12 19:47:37

Boy or girl? Have a look on the book people for cheap sets.

SkiBumMum Tue 06-Nov-12 19:52:19

At 2.5 I don't think it matters if the child is a boy or a girl does it? How about Topsy and Tim, the Usborne farm family series, Kipper the dog, Fergus (also a dog). Do you go to the library? Ours is fab. M&S have 25% off all their books & toys at the mo'. We got a heap of those Ladybird sized classic stories today. They're only £3 in any event.

Bearandcub Tue 06-Nov-12 19:53:06

Sue Hendra, or go retro - Mr Men series, AA Milne, etc?

DewDr0p Tue 06-Nov-12 19:54:15

Oliver Jeffers - Lost and Found and How To Catch a Star are particular favourites.

The Night Pirates
Dragon on the Doorstep
The Noisy Way to Bed

DorisIsWaiting Tue 06-Nov-12 19:55:50

DD 3's favourite book is the Great Pet sale by Mick Inkpen (of the Kipper Books) her favourite line (which she repeats in every and any situation is "sausages on legs you don't want one of those". IMHO it's way better than kipper books and I love reading it

3bunnies Tue 06-Nov-12 20:24:12

Just seen that there is an offer in the book people for all 50 Mr Men books for 30 pounds and 36 little Miss ones for 25 pounds. Wouldn't bother with the 'sparkly' ones. My dc (boy and girls) all preferred the Mr Men rather than Little Miss ones. It does sound like a lot of money, but at about 70p a book is good value.

Anythingforabitofpeace Tue 06-Nov-12 20:41:28

We're going on a Bear hunt, giraffes can't dance, hugless douglas.

Anythingforabitofpeace Tue 06-Nov-12 20:43:57

Oh and Dear Zoo, The Tiger who came to Tea and the Peppa Pig board books are good. We have My daddy.

AudrinaAdare Tue 06-Nov-12 20:56:37

Ten quality books for £9.99 and I think there is a free-delivery code floating around the bargain thread. DS will be reading them on the run-up to Christmas along with The Jolly Christmas Postman

You get a copy of the Gruffalo's Child with the collection but it's great for an emergency winter birthday or Christmas present.

ProPerformer Tue 06-Nov-12 20:58:17

The Terrible Plop! Brilliant book - DS (3) got it from Santa at nursery last year and it's a firm favourite with him, me and DH!

He's still not quite asleep so can't go look see who it's by.

jumblequeen Wed 07-Nov-12 08:07:10

This is SO brilliant, thanks everyone! I must confess the need for new books is as much for me as it is for my son... wink

Never ordered from the book people so I'm very keen to have a look and see what they have < hotfoots it immediately >

jumblequeen Wed 07-Nov-12 08:10:42

Cripes, the book people is amazing! I am never ordering from Amazon again!

thanks thanks thanks

MimsyBorogroves Wed 07-Nov-12 08:13:06

Hairy McLairy - any of them. They're by (I think) Linley Dodd.

3bunnies Wed 07-Nov-12 09:31:28

The code for the book people is 264XMAS for free postage under 25 pounds, over 25 pounds it is free anyway. If you order more than 4 times a year then you get free priority delivery (next day) for the year after your 4th order. I sometimes split up my order so it is less noticeable on bank statements in order to get the priority delivery. Lots of books for adults too. I do occassionally order from amazon/buy in shop if I want something specific, but at that age it is less about a specific author and more about variety.

Tinkerisdead Wed 07-Nov-12 09:37:22

Doris you've made me laugh as thats one of our favourites but we're always yelling " pick me i'm only 1p!"

Wibbly pig, meg and mog, aliens in underpants and nick sharratts 'pants' have all been hits in this house. Oh and hairy maclary from donaldsons dairy!!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 07-Nov-12 09:39:16

Hello Dudley! by Sam Lloyd is a favourite with my 2yo.

Owl Babies

The Pig in the Pond

jumblequeen Wed 07-Nov-12 10:01:49

3bunnies - variety, that's it! And thanks very much for the code too... placing an order now.

Mumsnet once again comes up trumps x

insanityscratching Wed 07-Nov-12 13:12:49

Hairy Maclary [[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_binding_browse-b_mrr_1?rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3A%27%27hairy+maclary%27%27%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A492564011&bbn=266239&keywords=%27%27hairy+maclary%27%27&ie=UTF8&qid=1352293706&rnid=492562011 series]] was a favourite here. Oh and Sliny Malinki here as the "I want my potty" series here Dd now 9 still sneaks a peek at some of them and used to recite a lot of them word for word when she was only a tot.

insanityscratching Wed 07-Nov-12 13:14:25

No idea why Hairy Maclary didn't work. Will try again

GoldenHandshake Wed 07-Nov-12 14:29:16

DD is almost four, her favourite books over the past 18 months have been:

Aliens love underpants
We're going on a bear hunt
Supermarket Zoo
How to grow a dinosaur
Funny Bones
Burglar Bill
All of the Meg and Mog books
All of the Spot the Dog books
Mrs Pepperpot books
Charlie Cooks favourite book
Gilbert the great

I hope that gives some inspiration!

jumblequeen Wed 07-Nov-12 17:23:49

goldenhandshake - that's fantastic, thanks! We've got a few of those so our children obviously have similar taste smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now