Talk

Advanced search

recommend me kids presents that are small and lightweight for travel please

(10 Posts)
MummyAbroad Tue 06-Nov-12 15:57:35

I live abroad and will be coming back to England to spend Christmas (well the whole of December) with my parents, and I need ideas for what to get the DC that will be light and small enough to fly back with.

DS1 is 4 and half and loves, Spiderman, Transformers, Cars, Hotwheels, and Imaginext toys.

DS2 is 1 year and loves wrapping paper, cardboard boxes, and the contents of my handbag. grin

I am thinking about buying the presents in the UK when I get there, but I dont know whats in the shops and if it would be silly to buy stuff that I wont be able to carry back. I am travelling with the kids there and back on my own, long haul, so suitcase space is at a premium.

milk Tue 06-Nov-12 16:16:21

You could get DS1 a Vtech camera, that would be nice as he could take photographs of his holiday smile

MummyAbroad Tue 06-Nov-12 17:37:54

Thats a lovely idea, but he already has one! So far I have resisted computer games, but I am starting to think some hand held thing would be great on the flight back, I no nothing about whats out there though.

alison222 Wed 07-Nov-12 13:53:58

An MP3 player and download stories onto it for the 4 year old? storynory.com has lots of free downloads.

MummyAbroad Wed 07-Nov-12 14:57:45

oooh thats a good one thanks.

MummyAbroad Thu 08-Nov-12 01:33:45

..and if anyone can recomend a good kid proof mps player, let me know!

VoldemortsNipple Thu 08-Nov-12 07:10:34

Superhero figures for the 4 year old and a little backpack with Spiderman on. That way he can carry the figures home in his own little bag.

For the one year old I would make him a travel rummage pack. A small bag which includes little bits to keep him happy on journeys such as an old set of keys, a couple of chunky crayons and a pad, a hand mirror, board book or other little things he might like.

You could also do stockings full of edible or wearable items. Chocolate, fruit, socks, hats, vests.

MummyAbroad Thu 08-Nov-12 13:39:26

Thanks, love all those ideas!

BellaVida Thu 08-Nov-12 14:09:21

We travel every year at Christmas and have the same issue. Mine had trunki's one year and loved riding them throughout the airport with all their presents in!
Not small, but practical and good fun.
We got a lot of use out of v-tech v smile consoles. You buy games cartridges and they have Spider-Man, Cars, Superman, Batman, Little Einsteins and lots more. They also do a travel bag. Hot Wheels are good as they are small and even the sets with ramps etc all come to pieces to go in the case.
For your other DS, in the past we have done megablocks, sticklebricks, playmobil 1-2-3, (all spreads out in luggage!), bath foam letters/puzzles (v light), stacking cars, teddy comforters, small books, v tech tiny touch phone, Little People.
For both, a little stocking, ruck sack or lunch bag with colouring pack and snacks.

MummyAbroad Thu 08-Nov-12 15:08:46

Thanks,

I just looked up the vsmile console on Amazon, looks perfect.

I think my 4 and half year old might be a bit big for trunki though? ( and the 1 year old too small) anyone used a trunki with kids of this age?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now