Talk

Advanced search

What recipes can I not possibly screw up?

(8 Posts)
HermioneE Tue 06-Nov-12 14:16:56

DH does almost all the cooking in our house, I have always felt very very insecure about cooking and have willingly done all the washing up for years instead- which suits us both.

Over the last year though I've started to find a bit of courage and have made a few soups, done a little baking etc.

My parents are doing Christmas Day and probably BD too so no problems there. But I'd like some ideas of what I can take to theirs - snacks would be easiest or I could gather my courage and take something for the BD meal. Traditionally in my family one household does the main Christmas meal themselves and the rest help out with puddings and/or Boxing Day.

Any suggestions for a very nervous cook? I'm pregnant and my mother's allergic to nuts but all other foods are ok.

ChristmasCountdown Thu 08-Nov-12 20:25:15

I was very much the same a few years ago. I find the recipes in the bbc good food magazine pretty infallible and good for someone like me who isn't always very confident. The December one is in the shops now with all the Christmas recipes.

We always have soup for a starter on Christmas day - could you take some soup? Nigella's feast book has a cranberry and orange pudding recipe which is pretty easy (this one) and I always make her cranberry mince pies too.

AlohaMama Thu 08-Nov-12 21:07:38

In terms of easy recipes, I'd say snacks are sometimes more difficult - lots of fiddly small things. Think soup is a great idea. Or an easy dessert? Something you can make ahead. You can always do something like buying ready made pastry, or even ready made & rolled pastry (which you can get already in a foil tin) and then you would just have to make the filling e.g., lemon or chocolate tart. If you just follow instructions carefully and use a timer you shouldn't go too far wrong. If you're worried about telling when things are cooked see if you can find a recipe online which has step-by-step photos or look for examples on you tube - that way you can see what something is supposed to look like at each stage.

If you search on places like Good Food, you can just pick recipes that are rated 'easy' - some don't even need cooking, just chilling to set.

Good luck!

bedmonster Thu 08-Nov-12 21:33:32

I'm going to let you in to my own secret failproof recipe, and when you've seen it, you will be forever in debt to me...

Marmite sandwiches wink <helpful>

mameulah Thu 08-Nov-12 23:39:47

Delia's rillettes of duck is a good festive one. You need to cook it for a few hours but it really is pretty easy and looks really impressive. Don't bother with the cranberry coulis, just buy cranberry sauce. Serve with melba toast.

fuzzpig Fri 09-Nov-12 10:43:51

I'm going to try ham cooked in cola!

Pootles2010 Fri 09-Nov-12 10:45:20

I think the key is to practise. Preferable twice before the big day! So maybe pick something you wouldn't mind eating on a 'normal' day iyswim.

HermioneE Sun 11-Nov-12 10:16:47

Thanks all, especially bedmonster :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now