Talk

Advanced search

PJs - primark matalan or asda?

(14 Posts)
3bunnies Tue 06-Nov-12 13:14:49

Looking for pyjamas for the dc, either velour or fleecy, not Christmasy, just snuggly. Our town is no good for cheap stuff so going on day trip with a friend. All different parts of town we're going to (would need to repark with toddlers etc) so need to know where to start first. Price is key, but don't want them to fall to bits when they see the tumble drier! Age range 3-nearly 8. Also looking for stocking fillers, but will probably go to poundland, 99p shop + wilkinsons for those (near to Primark). Or any other suggestions.

Goofus Tue 06-Nov-12 13:17:39

I have to say I bought fleecy type pjs from Primark last year and half the buttons came off in the wash. I prefer Asda although they're not quite as cheap.

crazygracieuk Tue 06-Nov-12 13:18:07

My children have had primark and matalan and they're fine. Ds2 has fleecy Zprimark ones that have been worn by ds1 and dd.

Only tip with Primark is that the sizing can be random.

kiwidreamer Tue 06-Nov-12 13:22:35

I get the Primark brushed cotton pj's every year for the kids and I really like them, I think the sizing is on the small size as my large 4yr old who is in 5/6yr clothes is almost out of their 6-7yr size and my dinky 17mth DD is perfect in the 12-18mths but I doubt there is another month or two growth in them whereas she is still wearing some 9-12mth dresses etc. So def size up or even 2 sizes up!

I was in Matalan today and their PJ's are really cute, a little bit more money than Primark (Matalan around £6 or so where Primark under £4) but nice bright colours and fun designs, much more so than Primark.

3bunnies Tue 06-Nov-12 13:32:32

Good tips on the sizing - dd1 is quite big, dd2 is tiny and ds is fairly big too. He will be with me and I have been known to try clothes on him for dd2 - he's 2 1/2 years younger but about the same size. Not sure if I can guarantee he will stay quiet on Christmas day though, his memory is getting better! Will maybe go to Matalan first - it is the first place in their complex one way system.

ChippyMinton Tue 06-Nov-12 13:36:10

Primark brushed cotton ones are lovely, last forever BUT do shrink the first time in the tumble dryer. They have a good selection (and also have fleece onesies - including a gorgeous minnie mouse one, a tiger and a shark £8/9 a pop)

moonblushtomato Tue 06-Nov-12 19:50:23

recently bought DS some fleeced pjs from Primark, they are lovely but I wish I'd got a bigger size, they've shrunk loads!!

Mousefunk Tue 06-Nov-12 21:57:29

Bad experience with primark onesies. We bought two last year all giddy because they were cute looking, snuggly and soft and only £6 each I think. He wore them twice and the top buttons fell off, zips were all stiff and kept getting stuck and then after like a month of pretty light use they were all rough and bobbled from washing and had holes in crotch.. hmm needless to say wasn't happy..

Always had issues with the zips getting completely jammed on the fleecy ones from asda sad

Maybe I just got the bodge ones though grin

Mousefunk Tue 06-Nov-12 21:59:23

* should have said fleece pjs we got him 2 pairs for £6? from primark last year, holes in bum area after not v.long sad

oreocrumbs Tue 06-Nov-12 22:03:50

I usually buy the brushed cotton pj's from primark, but at the weekend bought 2 pairs in matalan, they were £7 each or two for £8, they also had co ordinating slippers for £3.

I haven't washed them yet, but they seem to be a decent quality, and I have had pjs from there before with no problem.

I agree that the primark ones do shrink in the tumble drier - I make a point to dry them on the radiator now.

I got DD some fleece pj's from primark too this year and they are washing well. One pair is fleece top and biootm and the other is fleece top and a brushed cotton bottom. They haven't shrunk or pilled.

Asda ones are ok, but I think primark or matalan are better for the brushed cotton. Asda do nice cotton pjs.

serin Tue 06-Nov-12 23:00:10

Asda cotton ones come with plain tops and checked trousers, not that disimilair to the ones from Boden, (but less than a third of the price) wash fine.

3bunnies Wed 07-Nov-12 06:55:30

Great, thank you for all of your tips, have looked on Matalan website and there are some potential ones there. It's just annoying as is 40 mile round trip and I know I won't have time to park, repark repark again then go back to the first place!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 07-Nov-12 09:41:25

I make a special trip into town to buy pjs from Primark for DS. I never buy anything else in there but discovered them via a friend's hand-me-downs and they are so snuggly. At £4 a pair great value too.

ToriaPumpkin Wed 07-Nov-12 17:20:09

Mine this year are all from Matalan, still have last year's fleece ones and they're in pretty good condition, just a bit bobbly from being washed.

Their sizing is pretty good as well, the only place I know I can buy a 16 and it will fit as opposed to me having to try on the 14, 16 and 18.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now