Talk

Advanced search

Is this too tight?

(26 Posts)
ditavonteesed Tue 06-Nov-12 11:15:12

I have just been shopping for stocking fillers for dd's, I have come back with pants, socks, vests, pj's, bobbles, hair bands, so basically stuff that I would have to buy them anyway.

TheSurgeonsMate Tue 06-Nov-12 11:24:07

Yes! Get back out there. If you're putting that many things in a stocking I would judge that at least two of them have to be frivolous.

iloveholidays Tue 06-Nov-12 11:24:14

Of course not. I think most people get practical stuff for stockings. I tend to get all this sort of stuff which they need and then get a few little toys. Hawkin last year, did Woolgartoys this year.

My stockings were always full of practical stuff when I was a kid and I loved it - it was the excitement of opening them. Presents under the tree were usually toys etc. We used to get shower gel, deodorant, toothbrush, pants, hair stuff, stationery and usually 1-2 little toy presents in our stockings. They were rammed but I reckon 95% of stuff my parents would have bought us anyway. My DP found it hilarious when I did him his first stocking as I always put in practical stuff that we'd normally just add to our Tesco shop. He used to get about 5 things in a stocking but all books/toys so we had very different stockings as kids. Mine would be a lot of presents but mostly practically. His would be very small but mostly toys.

Do what you want to do - everyone has a different view!!

BertieBotts Tue 06-Nov-12 11:26:19

I think it needs to be at least half fun stuff - the practical stuff can count as fun if it's a bit different to what you'd buy normally though, like character pants/socks/hairbands etc rather than plain ones.

You also need some sweets - what else do you expect them to eat for their pre-breakfast snack at 5am??

BertieBotts Tue 06-Nov-12 11:26:32

(Meant to add a grin!)

ditavonteesed Tue 06-Nov-12 11:29:24

oh I bought sweets and selection boxes as well so nto too bad. also going to get a couple of little lego sets wiith my tesco vouchers.

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Tue 06-Nov-12 11:29:39

We do 50/50 useful stuff and silly crap. Fill gaps with sweeties.

And in deference to tradition there will always be an apple and a satsuma somewhere in there, which are usually found partially eaten and decomposing under dd1's bed in February.

ditavonteesed Tue 06-Nov-12 11:34:34

needs more sweets doesnt it.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Tue 06-Nov-12 11:35:03

I always put practical stuff into stockings - stuff I would buy anyway. It's still lovely! I would add some cheap fun stuff, like some bubbles, bags of chocolate coins etc.

And also a satsuma and a handful of nuts. grin

olibeansmummy Tue 06-Nov-12 19:46:13

Ah no it's fine with a couple of toys and some chocolates smile ds's (3.5) is similar: toy story boxer shorts, toy story socks, cool toothbrush, bath crayons, foaming body wash, playmobil pirate set, 2 mini lego sets and some chocolates/ sweets that have yet to be bought smile

ChippyMinton Tue 06-Nov-12 20:56:54

Cereal is a good filler too - the mini boxes, or cocopops bars or something, and maybe a carton of smoothie.

I got Pez machines today.

dementedma Tue 06-Nov-12 21:39:41

You're not serious about the cereal and smoothies are you?

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 06-Nov-12 21:41:01

how old is your DD? then i will judge! smile

ChippyMinton Tue 06-Nov-12 21:42:12

Definately! DC are ravenous at 5am. No amount of chocolate coins fills that hole --and I'm not getting up to make breakfast--grin

ditavonteesed Wed 07-Nov-12 07:28:09

dd's are 6 and 9, there will be other stuff I promise.

ditavonteesed Wed 07-Nov-12 07:28:28

chippy I like your thinking.

fuzzpig Wed 07-Nov-12 09:44:17

I'm similar to others, some fillers are useful (but I go for nicer than usual IYSWIM - eg DD has Snow White knickers from the Disney Store sale, instead of her usual primark ones) but I do put lots of fun stuff in.

I don't really like party bag falls-apart-within-an-hour type stuff so most of it is bought to last, like happyland figures, toy cars etc.

This year for the first time I've also bought some tiny craft sets - each of them has an individual paint your own sun catcher thing, and an individual Shrinkle picture. I've gone way overboard with stuff in the past, so this year I'm trying to make sure some of it is creative and we will have fun sitting on the floor round the table making things together.

fuzzpig Wed 07-Nov-12 09:50:57

Olibean! Where did you get toy story boxers please? It's proving very difficult to find nice boxers for little boys - everywhere seems to focus on pants instead.

Also, can I ask you all what kind of chocolate/sweets you put in stockings? I'd like to do something a bit different from what they usually get (too much blush) maybe thorntons or something. I'm dropping hints for DH to get mine from the American sweet shop in town grin

InNeedOfBrandy Wed 07-Nov-12 09:58:27

Fuzzpig next always do boxers/trunks and they really last.
Asda also do cheaper boxers/trunks.

OP I would put in a few little things like nail varnish, lipgloss, joke sets, moshi monster suprise packets and a pencil case. My dc both love the practical type presents to so vests and pants go down very well here.

InNeedOfBrandy Wed 07-Nov-12 09:59:28

Oh chcolate santa lollys and a chocolate santa figure in my dc stockings this year, not going to bother with selection boxes.

Badvoc Wed 07-Nov-12 10:09:27

My boys get choc coins, a bath bomb and an Xmas book in their stocking. They are also getting plane gliders too this year.

fuzzpig Wed 07-Nov-12 10:15:42

Excellent. Next it is then. Thanks smile

BiddyPop Wed 07-Nov-12 10:26:21

Our stockings always had:
Something you want
Something you need
Something to eat
Something to read

Eating was lots of fruit AND a large packet of sweets (sweets were rare in the house)
Always got a good book (and there were lots of books year round as well)
Usually got useful things like undies etc too - well done and absolutely no problem with those (DD gets a regular re-stocking of her drawer in her Christmas stocking, and DH STILL gets his "jocks and socks" as his stocking from HIS mum - in his 40s!! grin)

But always got something fun as well. That can be cheap but you need something frivolous in there too.

Murtette Wed 07-Nov-12 11:10:40

Our stockings always had a carton of ribena, a bit of chocolate, a comic & something we could do by ourselves as we could open them as soon as we woke up (so anytime from 5am as a child) and my parents wanted to buy themselves a bit of peace. At around 7am, my parents would ask if Santa had been and we had to re-pack our stockings & show them what we had.

olibeansmummy Wed 07-Nov-12 12:21:23

Matalan fuzzpig he also has cars ones and Spider-Man ones from there. They are the trunk style, £6 for 3 and the cars ones gave lasted since last Xmas smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now