Talk

Advanced search

Mincemeat/pudding recipe difficulties....

(3 Posts)
MumofWombat Tue 06-Nov-12 00:52:37

I have been tasked with making the mince pies this Christmas (family do seem to yum through my pastry!) and to make them extra special i would really like to make my own mincemeat this year rather than buy a jar.
I'm in Australia, suet is almost impossible to track down. I could get beef suet from the butchers but as I'm vegetarian it would mean I couldn't eat them, and as I probable won't be able to eat MILs homemade pudding for the same reason, I'd like to have something I can have!
Any ideas on a good substitution or does anyone have any recipes without suet?
I'd also love to make a Christmas pudding for us to have once home on Boxing Day, so any recipes bearing in mind the above issues??
Hoping some of you can help me!

rockinhippy Tue 06-Nov-12 15:03:13

We're veggie too & I just use mix of grated butter & veg lard

Mince meat - I just throw mixed dried fruits, crushed nuts & peel along with spices, rum & soft brown sugar or molasses & a little butter into a pan & simmer until it thickens up & taste as you go & cut with scissors if fruit is too lumpy -

its very easy to make, not as scary as some would think, I've never used a recipe, just add spices that you like - I use ginger, cloves, cinnamon & a pinch of chilli as these work well with the rum - but do as you prefer - honestly its not difficult to create your own

MumofWombat Wed 07-Nov-12 01:04:04

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now