Talk

Advanced search

The usual 'what shall I buy dc's teacher?' thread?

(14 Posts)
BeaWheesht Mon 05-Nov-12 22:01:58

Ds is about to turn 6 and in p2, his teacher is late 30s, female, single with 2 kids and has done ds the world of good since August.

Any inspiration? £10 max spend.

BardOfBarking Mon 05-Nov-12 22:09:07

I don't ever want parents to feel obliged to get a present - however I would appreciate a letter or a card telling me I've 'done ds the world of good.'

I have received some gorgeous gifts however and I have really enjoyed being given;
books (both children's and adults)
Gorgeous marking pens
a voucher for a facial
a bottle of wine
nice mug (not world's best teacher)
Gloves for playground duty

However teachers are as individual as the next person and I am not saying that these would suit your teacher. Good luck, it's a lovely gesture - for all the right reasons.

iwastooearlytobeayummymummy Mon 05-Nov-12 22:17:02

I very rarely gave gifts apart from the occasionl whole class whip round for a voucher but often wrote a letter of thanks. Even now one of DD1's old teachers mentions it as it meant more to her than a scented candle or bottle of wine. That teacher is now retired and DD1 grown up.

iwastooearlytobeayummymummy Mon 05-Nov-12 22:17:42

I very rarely gave gifts apart from the occasionl whole class whip round for a voucher but often wrote a letter of thanks. Even now one of DD1's old teachers mentions it as it meant more to her than a scented candle or bottle of wine. That teacher is now retired and DD1 grown up.

iwastooearlytobeayummymummy Mon 05-Nov-12 22:18:25

oops didn't mean to double post.

Wolfiefan Mon 05-Nov-12 22:19:01

Lush. Beautiful gifts. Lovingly wrapped.

acsec Mon 05-Nov-12 22:19:44

I love a nice card with some heartfelt words and keep them all smile

BeaWheesht Tue 06-Nov-12 04:51:37

Thanks, was going to get ds to do a wee letter because when h entered her class he hates writing and now he loves it.

Lush is a good idea.

Lavenderhoney Tue 06-Nov-12 05:11:03

I avoid the spa voucher whip round and we do a nice card and ds has think. He loves his teacher, so he said diamond braceletsmile last year we made homemade truffles and put them in a pretty box- waitrose sell them for this kind of thing.

Petsinmypudenda Tue 06-Nov-12 06:53:39

I tend to get something small from paperchase for about £5 and have ds make a card

insanityscratching Tue 06-Nov-12 08:57:25

Dd makes something a couple of years ago she made these last years she made snowmen on the same theme and this year she's making tree decorations these and these I might buy a Costa giftcard for her teacher as well although don't usually.

motherofluvlies Tue 06-Nov-12 23:14:20

I have bought 2 little Xmas tree decs,one is a crystal angel for the teacher( who is) and a pretty tin star for the assistant.xx

MunchMunch Wed 07-Nov-12 21:46:36

I buy candles that my mam decorates them with festive stickers that she uses for her card making and pins a ribbon round it. She then puts it in cellophane and ties it with the ribbon type stuff that is usually attached to helium balloons that you can curl.

They look fab when they are done and pretty cheap.

confuugled Wed 07-Nov-12 23:47:53

nice tiny fold down Umbrella - they always break or get lost or handy to have spare in the car. can be as jolly or sensible as required. Start looking in tkmaxx now for nice ones that haven't been pulled out of their pouches at good prices. few chocs or wine to go with if required. handy present if kid has to go in to school by themselves and you don't want them lugging glass bottles around!

Re-usable (shopping) bag that folds up really tiny into its own little pouch - hanging around a bottle of wine or chocs

bag organiser - the ebay ones at £3 seem to be fairly identical to the ones that can cost £15 on amazon.

home made card and home made xmas tree decoration

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now