Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can someone please explain 'elf on a shelf' to me please?

(14 Posts)
bedmonster Mon 05-Nov-12 21:26:36

That's it! I've never heard of it before and have seen lots of people talking about it, what is it?!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 05-Nov-12 21:27:06

No idea! Marking place.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 05-Nov-12 21:41:21

There are loads of threads on here but - Are we sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin wink

EotS is an American tradition- you buy your (rather scarey, creepy looking ) Elf and give him a name.
He has a book with him to document his adventures (and IIRC a letter to explain to the DC)
From the 1st Dec he hides in the house for the DC to find. (Apparently the DC can't touch him or play with him)
He will do nice or naughty things (like throwing sweet wrappers on the floor).

I'm too mean original to buy a proper Elf so I made one with a male doll and green&red felt for an outfit.

Our elf has a little bag to pop a couple of sweets in, the DC find him, they can have the sweets.

On the 24th, he takes the book and reports back to Father Christmas if the DC have been naughty or nice. grin

bedmonster Mon 05-Nov-12 21:52:02

Okay.
So the book to document the adventures, do you have to do that? (I mean, I know the elf can't do it, but does it come ready written? Or do you have to write a daily diary?)
Now, when you say he hides in the house, do you have to move it every day? To a new shelf? Eh?
Who has to pick up the sweet wrappers? And what other naughty/nice things can he do?
Sorry for all the questions, i'm really in the dark when it comes to Elfy, and I would like to understand more about him without having to search out the info myself! <lazy>
Thanks for explaining so far!

iloveholidays Mon 05-Nov-12 22:01:36

First year of doing elf on the shelf this year for us but can't wait. There are Los of ideas on this thread from a very kind mumsnetter for sharing smile

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/1602363-Elf-on-the-shelf-when-do-you-start-yours

I think it's basically a hide and seek game and you hide the elf each evening in various places, not just shelves and DCs have to find him each morning. I'm planning for our elf to bring some Christmas activities and couple of festives DVDs at the weekends as well.

Iwanttobeinspain Tue 06-Nov-12 10:09:11

What a great idea, will try that with mine this year

bedmonster Tue 06-Nov-12 21:26:39

Okaaaaaay, I have sussed it and decided it looks like way too much hard work, especially as I would be left to pick up all the sweet wrappers and fix all the things the naughty elf had done grin
But thanks for explaining to me, I think i've got the idea.

pigleychez Tue 06-Nov-12 21:32:29

We started Elf on the shelf last year.
I made a blog of his antics with the girls.
elfyescapades.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/elf-on-shelf.html

iloveholidays Tue 06-Nov-12 21:35:11

Bedmonster, not everyone plays tricks (I don't think). You could literally just hide it each night.

DD3 is due on Friday so I will be keeping it as simple as possible!! Hiding each night, a few tricks (probably at the weekends) and also bringing a few Christmas craft things/activity books I've bought on the random days we've not got anything planned.

bedmonster Tue 06-Nov-12 21:37:42

Ah that's so cute pigley, but, as I suspected, FAR too much effort involved! Bet your girls loved it though smile

iloveholidays Tue 06-Nov-12 21:37:45

Pigley... Did your DCs find it odd that Santa brought the elf? I'm not sure whether to wrap or take elf out of the box and leave on the fireplace with the book and advent calendars...

Need to get my head round it all...

pigleychez Tue 06-Nov-12 21:53:01

Well last year the girls were only 3 and 18mths so didnt really question anything.

Now 4 and 2.5 they may but im sure I can come up with some story behind it. smile
Not really sure how Elf will arrive this year, cant quite decide.
To be honest I didn't really like the book so he may just appear one morning. Maybe with a new decoration each then we can put the decs up that day and it can signal the beginning of Christmas.

Ive got some more elaborate things that I elf can do this year now the girls are abit older and understanding.
Although they also enjoyed just finding him in funny places last year so I think a mix of the two. Probably more elaborate ones at weekends etc when I have more time.

We spoke about Elf the other day after watching Polar express and seeing the elves. Now the girls and I are quite excited by his arrival again this year. grin

iloveholidays Tue 06-Nov-12 22:10:14

My DDs will be 3.9 and 21 months (and 5-7 weeks depending when he arrives!!) at Christmas so similar to yours last year. I don't think the 21 month one will understand much and it will be very hard trying to explain the no touch rule!!! Still, I can't wait!!!!

loubielou31 Wed 07-Nov-12 17:17:40

My elf is like a little rag doll, I've never worried about the no touching rule. He's just magic at night. The rest of the time he's a toy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now