Talk

Advanced search

if you have a tiny house/flat, what kind of tree do you have?

(26 Posts)
mummmsy Sun 04-Nov-12 22:46:36

grin

AuntPepita Sun 04-Nov-12 22:47:59

A half tree from b&q last year, really good.

RedGreenRouge Sun 04-Nov-12 22:52:02

We have a big one and just squish everything around it. We love our tree.

Frontpaw Sun 04-Nov-12 22:56:05

half a tree? What, like cut lengthwise? Why didn't I thinlk of that?! We have a stupid skinny tree which I hate!

My mum used to get ones you had to get on a step ladder to decorate, and you could hide a small child in. In fact, we used to have 3 trees.

I want a big one but we don't have any spare corners, a wide entrance/hall or wall space. Bugger!

mummmsy Sun 04-Nov-12 23:09:37

oh, half? i was thinking skinny tree...

what do we think of little trees on tables? confused

4forkssake Sun 04-Nov-12 23:14:59

Have you got any wall space? If so, how about this

m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/3ft-Pre-Lit-Wall-Mounted-Tree/dp/B0037GISQ2?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_8&nodeId=1323249031&sr=1-8&qid=1352070837&pf_rd_r=061NR3PW1C2SQ9F1RK37&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1323249031&pf_rd_p=321381387&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

NewNames Sun 04-Nov-12 23:22:10

A big one! Squashed into the corner of the room.

Petsinmypudenda Mon 05-Nov-12 05:44:30

A big one you have to scrape along the wall to get past it.

ObiWan Mon 05-Nov-12 06:27:53

A really big one.

There is nothing like sitting down to watch a christmas film, with a tree branch poking you in the head grin.

Seriously, the tree is touching ceiling every year, and the sheer size terrifies the smaller children into leaving it alone.

I think I'd feel a bit sorry for myself if a tree on a table was all we had, but my grandmother had such a thing, and her house was always very Christmassy.

I don't exude enough loveliness to carry off a tiny tree, so we are going to a Christmas tree farm to get something like the one in The National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

storminabuttercup Mon 05-Nov-12 06:50:00

We have a skinny one, but it looks huge because the room is so full of other crap small. We do have a small one on a table and I add other bits like a feather wreath on the wall and loads of musical Christmas figures that my gm bought me. It's tacky but fun!

Onlyaphase Mon 05-Nov-12 07:00:05

I was in IKEA the other day and they had a lovely wall hanging - a white canvas sheet with a Christmas tree painted on it - that I wanted to get even though I had room for a tree.

girlywhirly Mon 05-Nov-12 08:21:34

You don't ned to buy a half tree, you can use an existing one. If it has hook on branches, leave the ones off the back; if it has fold down branches, just leave the back ones folded up. Then just decorate the front and sides. If you felt it wasn't enough fir, you could have a wreath or a garland somewhere as well.

I like the M&S wall tree, I have a small half tree in our dining area, as our lounge diner is L shaped and we can't see the big tree from the dining table! Mine has a basket type thing at it's base to cover the 'trunk'. I bought it years ago in the garden centre January sale. It wasn't pre lit so I put some lights on it myself.

YouthworkersWife Mon 05-Nov-12 08:29:31

We have a table-top tree, because there is absolutely NO floorspace anywhere in this house. Any tree that required putting on the floor would have to go in the garden.

It does, however, have the advantage of making sure that my beautiful tree decorations go un-molested by tiny toddler hands! I wasn't convinced when we first had it (it did seem a bit 'mean'), but I find that now it looks better than our full-size tree did in the last house because I can afford to buy really beautiful decorations (since I don't have to buy so many of them iyswim).

PurplePidjin Mon 05-Nov-12 08:39:30

I have a real one in a pot. It lives among the veggies on the balcony all year then gets decorated (cheap battery lights and plastic/wood ornaments) and dragged over to the doorstep in mid December. He's looking a bit sorry for himself this year, i might have to invest in a new one bigger pot.

I then have fake fir stuff to wind round the bannisters, and presents get piled up under the newel post.

2up 2 down terraced maisonette.

mummmsy Mon 05-Nov-12 09:12:17

Purple we're in a 2 up 2 down terraced house too and have absolutely minus floor space - can't really hang tree from wall either

a tree on the table seems so mean

Corygal Mon 05-Nov-12 09:20:33

I use a tree that has been topiaried into just a fir ball at the top! same space as a standard lamp, see. It's decorated with broken earrings and jewellery, then themed (oh yes) with a batch of red balls from Poundsaver.

I decorate the tops of the pictures with living ivy and fir branches, which adds greenery without volume. And string up fake robins EVERYWHERE.

SpookySparkle Mon 05-Nov-12 09:37:35

We live in a 2 up 2 down as well, so have the same problem. We have a 6 foot skinny tree, and it looks great once its been decorated, I think the thing with skinny trees is to make sure they arent left in a big space on there own!!

PurplePidjin Mon 05-Nov-12 09:39:37

http://www.artificialchristmastree.co.uk/product/detail/christmas-garlands-standard

I have a couple of these which i wrap round the banisters then decorate with lights, baubles and tinsel - you need gaffer tape for the ends! Angel sits on top of the newel post, pressies on the floor. Empty stockings hung from branches.

My parents turned one into a spiral using clear fishing twine, that lays flat (and decorated!) in a box all year then gets hung from a cup hook in the ceiling, with pressies on a coffee table underneath. They have plenty of space, my mum just has odd her own ideas. She's now looking for a cone-type tree she can suspend upside down hmm

PurplePidjin Mon 05-Nov-12 09:43:05

www.diy.com/nav/christmas/artificial-trees/B-and-Q-Green-Pop-Up-Christmas-Tree-6-183cm-12498702

Cone smile

Bobloblaw Mon 05-Nov-12 17:32:37

We had very little room last year so I made a tree with hand prints (I have put a photo on my profile) my DM thought it was very silly but I liked it.

Marne Mon 05-Nov-12 17:51:46

We ill either use our big tree but not put all the branches on (so like a half tree) or a tall thin one (i like the look of the pop up ones, less hastle).

lilachair Mon 05-Nov-12 17:57:16

I have a massive tree in the shed. MASSIVE. I had no furniture last year. Oh dear blush

mummmsy Tue 06-Nov-12 10:31:55

ohhh what about a corner tree maybe?

like this one

www.marksandspencer.com/Green-Corner-Christmas-6ft-Tree/dp/B003FWQARM

anchovies Tue 06-Nov-12 10:39:37

We have a massive real tree on a table in the corner of the room shock It renders the sofa pretty much useless but the overall effect is very festive grin Every year I think I've only picked a small one until I have an hours worth of sawing and trimming before I can get it to fit in!

We've got a tall-and-skinny tree in ours that we fit next to the sofa by having some of the branches poking up - it's nice but I'd love to have a huge bushy tree.

I bought that fabric onlyaphase, I'm going to hang it in our hallway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now