Talk

Advanced search

I judge people on their Christmas cards.

(67 Posts)
Crushinginevitability Sun 04-Nov-12 11:48:13

Yes I do. They have to be Charity cards at least, and ideally religious with a pronounced Baybe Jesus. Not a Christmas T-Rex etc.

I didn't realise till I got a warm, fuzzy smug feeling when I bought my Fair Trade cards!

You've been warned!

germyrabbit Sun 04-Nov-12 11:49:41

its more ethical NOT to send them at all, surely e cards are the way forward wink

Meglet Sun 04-Nov-12 11:52:12

ha ha, so do I a bit. And I know I am being truly pathetic blush.

I send fewer cards these days but still buy them from a charity shop. They're expensive though so I can't blame people for buying bumper packs from the supermarket.

LeeCoakley Sun 04-Nov-12 11:52:24

I'm slightly the same. I prefer receiving charity cards to one from the shiny box of 40 for £1. But not being a christian I prefer cute animals or santa glugging alcohol.

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Sun 04-Nov-12 11:52:35

Even an e-card requires electricity, why not send a nice Christmas thought to those you love? winkgrin

Crushinginevitability Sun 04-Nov-12 11:53:38

If I didn't send them I'd miss out on a smugness opportunity. A smugpertunity.

Crushinginevitability Sun 04-Nov-12 11:56:32

If Boden did charity christmas cards, would they be the smuggest?

Crushinginevitability Sun 04-Nov-12 11:57:52

Ah no, Joules Christmas cards, with the Holy family in bodywarmers and striped wellies. Donations to poar people.

Euphemiaaaarrrrgggghhhh Sun 04-Nov-12 12:00:30

I buy the ones DD designed at school. They're cute, she's dead proud of them, and the school benefits financially.

Savonarola Sun 04-Nov-12 12:04:33

I suppose anyone who spends time choosing their cards (whether actual or e), rather than just grabbing the first ones they see, is on some level expecting to be judged.

I was thinking of the meerkat ones this year.

Trills Sun 04-Nov-12 12:04:41

If you send me a baby Jesus card and I know you don't go to church I'll judge you for that.

Trills Sun 04-Nov-12 12:05:01

Smugpertunity is a great word.

Mrsjay Sun 04-Nov-12 12:06:43

I dont send many mainly to family more envirofriendly and all that I have an aunt who sends cards to people she hasn't seen in 30 years what a waste of time imo

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Sun 04-Nov-12 12:07:53

I am not sending ANY cards this year.

I care too much about the cost of stamps environment.

I am better than ALL of you.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 04-Nov-12 12:07:59

Don't they need to be handmade for maximum smuggery?

Trills Sun 04-Nov-12 12:08:45

I haven't thought about whether I am sending cards this year or not because it is the beginning of November

SirSugar Sun 04-Nov-12 12:09:33

I make my own, different theme each year, but very designerish

<smug to the MAX>

lindsell Sun 04-Nov-12 12:10:11

Mine will be handmade this year <smug> but by ds1 (3.5) so probably won't be in the best taste grin

Mrsjay Sun 04-Nov-12 12:10:31

I think handmade and donating to charity is smugger you can get those in garden centres or visitors centres hmm box for a quid and donate to the local charity is what i do , Is that smug confused

MadamFolly Sun 04-Nov-12 12:10:47

I refuse to buy cards for any reason much to my family's disgust. Dreadful waste of money and resources.

If I want to tell you something I will contact you either by phone or electronically.

My family try to make me put birthday cards with presents. WHY? It had a goddamn label already.

amillionyears Sun 04-Nov-12 12:11:29

Can I ask what the judgey view of MN is on small liitle christmas cards.
Sometimes the nicest designs imo are on the little tiny ones?

Savonarola Sun 04-Nov-12 12:11:30

I think child-made is the smuggest. Especially if there's one of those "handmade by ...." stickers on it.

Trills Sun 04-Nov-12 12:13:30

"Charity" cards from Smiths or Tesco or whatever won't have very much going to the actual charity. If you are bothered about the charity, go to the charity shop and get their cards. Or buy them online.

Am I allowed to judge your choice of charity?

SirSugar Sun 04-Nov-12 12:15:02

I had a friend with a few 'ishoos' about not having time to do anything/husband was a cunt/everyones got it better than me who was sent a gorgeous handmade card by a neighbours daughter. Friend went ballistic, tore the card up and ranted on about how the fucking bitch was sitting there in her house making cards with her precious DD/how unfair it was shock

ProphetOfDoom Sun 04-Nov-12 12:20:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now