Talk

Advanced search

Very very simple Sweet Treats for a rubbish cook?!

(17 Posts)
fuzzpig Sat 03-Nov-12 16:24:10

I'd love to make lots of festive foody things - one day I'd like to do gifts out of them, but this year I've decided to keep it very simple and only try a few things for my own family to try (so no worries if they turn out crap).

I don't really want to have to buy any special equipment etc (spent ages drooling over cake pop stuff in hobbycraft but resisted!) as we have no spare money and a teeny tiny kitchen. So really I'd like to be able to get ingredients from the supermarket, rather than obscure stuff.

I seriously can't even make a damn cake without messing it up, so I do mean really simple. I'm thinking biscuits/truffles/fudge/chocolates etc?

Anyone want to take pity on a useless cook and share some idiot proof recipes? smile

clare8allthepies Sat 03-Nov-12 16:26:30

Nigella's Christmas rocky road is lovely, and no cooking just a bit of melting, stirring and fridging! grin

fuzzpig Sat 03-Nov-12 16:37:08

Ooh that looks good and I guess we could alter the ingredients a bit if necessary. And it's so simple I can get DCs to help grin

MrsKwazii Sat 03-Nov-12 16:45:41

Marzipan filled dates are nice. You just slit the dates, remove the stone, roll a bit of marzipan into a longish sausage shape and pop it in, then roll them in a bit of caster sugar. Taadaa!

Keep you regular too wink

Lavenderhoney Sat 03-Nov-12 16:55:57

Truffles are super easy and your dc can do them with yousmile how about cornflake crackles? And brownies? Fairy cakes and scones are a good start too.
See if you can find a good housekeeping recipe book as they are pretty easy- I love mine- and follow receipes to the letter. Also delia Christmas book- it's all free on delia online. Happy bakingsmile

fuzzpig Sat 03-Nov-12 19:32:17

These are great thanks. I really should start practising making little cakes. I can just about manage when it's one of those little boxed kits blush

Dosey Sat 03-Nov-12 19:36:58

How about mince pies, frozen mincemeat and frozen pastry, I always cook these and serve them warm, easy peasy I promise x

VoldemortsNipple Sat 03-Nov-12 19:42:00

Coconut ice is very simple as are peppermint creams. They would both look lovely wrapped up in little cello bags too.

ChaosTrulyReigns Sat 03-Nov-12 19:45:24

Have you joined Pineterst?

Utterlyloads of inspiration on there.

moajab Sat 03-Nov-12 19:56:00

Peppermint bark is very easy. Just melt some chocolate. (You can use a couple of different sorts and swirl for an effect!) Put it in a tin. Crush some candy canes and sprinkle them onto the melted chcolate. Then leave to set. Once set break into pieces. It's yum! grin

TicketToHull Sat 03-Nov-12 20:07:49

I second the truffles - very simply and wonderfully indulgent <channels inner Nigella>

TicketToHull Sat 03-Nov-12 20:08:02

simply simple

OhTheConfusion Sat 03-Nov-12 20:54:51

The DC's and I make a homemade version of starbucks marshmallow swizzle sticks... the only thing you need to get is lollipop sticks (I get mine from the kids craft section in tesco [wink)

Push the stick through two marshmallows (fat side together), dip into melted chocolate then dip the tip into sprinkles or cocoa grin

Fab served with a good milky hot chocolate.

pantaloons Sat 03-Nov-12 21:09:37

We crumble shop bought Christmas cake then mix with melted chocolate. Roll into truffle sized balls and put into sweet cases, allow to set. Then put a blob of white icing on the top of each to look like Christmas puddings. They are yummy.

pigleychez Sat 03-Nov-12 21:12:32

Im going to try this with the girls soon

www.food.com/recipe/microwave-caramels-367414

Once Ive worked out what Karo Syrup is that is!

fuzzpig Sat 03-Nov-12 22:11:28

OK getting hungry now grin

I should probably have mentioned neither of us actually like mincemeat/Xmas pud/fruit cake! Could replace with different types of sponge though. I'd really like to make a chocolate sponge in a pudding basin and decorate to look like an Xmas pud.

I remember my nan making mince pies when she lived with us, she made me little jam ones instead smile

fuzzpig Mon 05-Nov-12 13:02:06

Somebody linked to these on another thread, they look amazing... might be a bit ambitious for me...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: