Talk

Advanced search

Very very simple Sweet Treats for a rubbish cook?!

(17 Posts)
fuzzpig Sat 03-Nov-12 16:24:10

I'd love to make lots of festive foody things - one day I'd like to do gifts out of them, but this year I've decided to keep it very simple and only try a few things for my own family to try (so no worries if they turn out crap).

I don't really want to have to buy any special equipment etc (spent ages drooling over cake pop stuff in hobbycraft but resisted!) as we have no spare money and a teeny tiny kitchen. So really I'd like to be able to get ingredients from the supermarket, rather than obscure stuff.

I seriously can't even make a damn cake without messing it up, so I do mean really simple. I'm thinking biscuits/truffles/fudge/chocolates etc?

Anyone want to take pity on a useless cook and share some idiot proof recipes? smile

clare8allthepies Sat 03-Nov-12 16:26:30

Nigella's Christmas rocky road is lovely, and no cooking just a bit of melting, stirring and fridging! grin

fuzzpig Sat 03-Nov-12 16:37:08

Ooh that looks good and I guess we could alter the ingredients a bit if necessary. And it's so simple I can get DCs to help grin

MrsKwazii Sat 03-Nov-12 16:45:41

Marzipan filled dates are nice. You just slit the dates, remove the stone, roll a bit of marzipan into a longish sausage shape and pop it in, then roll them in a bit of caster sugar. Taadaa!

Keep you regular too wink

Lavenderhoney Sat 03-Nov-12 16:55:57

Truffles are super easy and your dc can do them with yousmile how about cornflake crackles? And brownies? Fairy cakes and scones are a good start too.
See if you can find a good housekeeping recipe book as they are pretty easy- I love mine- and follow receipes to the letter. Also delia Christmas book- it's all free on delia online. Happy bakingsmile

fuzzpig Sat 03-Nov-12 19:32:17

These are great thanks. I really should start practising making little cakes. I can just about manage when it's one of those little boxed kits blush

Dosey Sat 03-Nov-12 19:36:58

How about mince pies, frozen mincemeat and frozen pastry, I always cook these and serve them warm, easy peasy I promise x

VoldemortsNipple Sat 03-Nov-12 19:42:00

Coconut ice is very simple as are peppermint creams. They would both look lovely wrapped up in little cello bags too.

ChaosTrulyReigns Sat 03-Nov-12 19:45:24

Have you joined Pineterst?

Utterlyloads of inspiration on there.

moajab Sat 03-Nov-12 19:56:00

Peppermint bark is very easy. Just melt some chocolate. (You can use a couple of different sorts and swirl for an effect!) Put it in a tin. Crush some candy canes and sprinkle them onto the melted chcolate. Then leave to set. Once set break into pieces. It's yum! grin

TicketToHull Sat 03-Nov-12 20:07:49

I second the truffles - very simply and wonderfully indulgent <channels inner Nigella>

TicketToHull Sat 03-Nov-12 20:08:02

simply simple

OhTheConfusion Sat 03-Nov-12 20:54:51

The DC's and I make a homemade version of starbucks marshmallow swizzle sticks... the only thing you need to get is lollipop sticks (I get mine from the kids craft section in tesco [wink)

Push the stick through two marshmallows (fat side together), dip into melted chocolate then dip the tip into sprinkles or cocoa grin

Fab served with a good milky hot chocolate.

pantaloons Sat 03-Nov-12 21:09:37

We crumble shop bought Christmas cake then mix with melted chocolate. Roll into truffle sized balls and put into sweet cases, allow to set. Then put a blob of white icing on the top of each to look like Christmas puddings. They are yummy.

pigleychez Sat 03-Nov-12 21:12:32

Im going to try this with the girls soon

www.food.com/recipe/microwave-caramels-367414

Once Ive worked out what Karo Syrup is that is!

fuzzpig Sat 03-Nov-12 22:11:28

OK getting hungry now grin

I should probably have mentioned neither of us actually like mincemeat/Xmas pud/fruit cake! Could replace with different types of sponge though. I'd really like to make a chocolate sponge in a pudding basin and decorate to look like an Xmas pud.

I remember my nan making mince pies when she lived with us, she made me little jam ones instead smile

fuzzpig Mon 05-Nov-12 13:02:06

Somebody linked to these on another thread, they look amazing... might be a bit ambitious for me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now