Talk

Advanced search

Calling everyone who has done Xmas on a tight budget

(13 Posts)
BloominMarvellous Sat 03-Nov-12 14:11:59

We are trying to do Xmas on as little as possible this year.

I am worried about what to get everyone (DM,DF,DMIL etc)

How have you managed whilst still being thoughtful?

FannieMaeButFreddieWont Sat 03-Nov-12 14:30:41

We had a skint xmas last year, I did brownie/cake jars like [[ www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.meals.com/imagesrecipes/32265x400.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32265/chewy-brownie-mix-in-a-jar/detail.aspx&usg=__dyqs7ief9UcZ9g677-TFAkqQvQQ=&h=400&w=400&sz=30&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&tbnid=qpum3-t7fIqatM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&ei=gSiVUMbLIOqK4gTcwIAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbrownies%2Bin%2Ba%2Bjar%2Bmix%26hl%3Den%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1 this]], add some brown paper over the lid ad some red ribbon and a personalused tag and its lovely.

I've done flavoured gin and vodka too, they are usually well received.

For some relatives I made and decorated a nice cake and put it in a nice cake tin, they eat the cake and keep the tin.

For the DC I made as much as possible. I've made doll carrycots, superhero costumes, nurses outfits all sorts. Its harder for older ones though.

For food I got almost everything from Aldi, instead of a big turkey I bought a frozen stuffed turkey joint (if joint is the right word). I bought the extras a bit at a time so its spread through the weeks before. I meal planned and planned the treats too, so I bought enough that we felt spoiled but nothing went to waste or was surplus.

FannieMaeButFreddieWont Sat 03-Nov-12 14:31:37

[[ www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.meals.com/imagesrecipes/32265x400.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32265/chewy-brownie-mix-in-a-jar/detail.aspx&usg=__dyqs7ief9UcZ9g677-TFAkqQvQQ=&h=400&w=400&sz=30&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&tbnid=qpum3-t7fIqatM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&ei=gSiVUMbLIOqK4gTcwIAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbrownies%2Bin%2Ba%2Bjar%2Bmix%26hl%3Den%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1]] Try that again!

FannieMaeButFreddieWont Sat 03-Nov-12 14:32:43

Aarrgghh I give up

BloominMarvellous Sat 03-Nov-12 14:49:47

There are some really good ideas!! Thank you smile

I like the cake in a nice tin idea!

ProPerformer Sat 03-Nov-12 16:18:40

Charity shops are a godsend for DS's presents - I've got one of my relatives a nearly new book from a second hand bookstore for 1/4 of the price!

Buy plain wrapping paper and make own gift tags and cards also saves a few pennies.

gregssausageroll Sat 03-Nov-12 17:11:27

There are some brilliant things on the many bargain Christmas threads that are running. I am sure the most recent one is the 5th. Recently there was a deal with wh smith for digital photo key rings down to £2.99. Keep and eye on the threads for good bargains.

Boots are doing 3:2. May be some smellies for the ladies?

chocolatespiders Sat 03-Nov-12 17:15:06

We havent bought for adults for years now most adults save up for anything they would like so seems pointless.
Sometimes make Sloe gin to give out at Christmas. Also mince pies on nice Christmas plate from TKMAX

Allalonenow Sat 03-Nov-12 17:25:31

Grandparents are sure to like a photo of grandchildren, and you can pick up some cheap frames to keep cost low, Boots frames are half price at the moment and nice quality.

mellowdramatic Sat 03-Nov-12 18:30:25

Jessops are doing half price photo calendars if you use voucher code calendar50. I've just got 4 kitchen calendars with pics of 2 ds's for £30 incl p&p - that sorts xh and grandparents (and one for me!)

I've actually saved £100 a month all year for this xmas but telly has just blown up and my everyday boots are starting to fall apart so I'll be looking for cheap xmas ideas too!

2kidsintow Sat 03-Nov-12 19:00:01

Asda is doing a lot of chocs and biscuits 3 for £10. So it looks like you've given them a £5 or £6 gift for the price of £3.33. That's great for us as we have a few sets of friends who always give us a little something (usually chocs) every Christmas, so I've got them first this year.

neontetra Sat 03-Nov-12 21:19:53

Wilkos have some genuinely nice gift type stuff in now (I think so anyway). And I even buy candles, chocolates, photo frames etc for people from Poundland. I'm not even on a hugely limited budget at the moment, I'm just tight!

racingheart Sat 03-Nov-12 21:54:13

If you are really broke, it's worth signing up to Freecycle. Fantastic things can be given away (don't just sign up for your own area, sign up for nearby wealthier areas!) Locally I often see offers of nearly new kids' bikes, skateboards, musical instruments, large and small toys and art and craft equipment. You can tart up upcycle anything with a bit of paint or accessories for children.

Look in charity shops or on Ebay for beautiful scarves for women in the family. Or try Primark for gorgeous snuggly socks, PJs, cushions, doorstops, all for £5 or under.

We make chocolate truffles for family. Unsalted butter, cocoa powder and crushed basics range biscuits, stirred in with fresh OJ, vanilla essence for the children and brandy or rum for the adults, rolled into balls and dipped in basics melted dark chocolate (adults) or white chocolate (children) Total cost (if you use up spirits in the house) about £1 for 12 truffles. The DC hand make boxes from craft card, and the presents look fantastic - good as hand made chocs from very trendy London stores.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now