Talk

Advanced search

Real Christmas trees - when to buy?

(23 Posts)
Nigglenaggle Sat 03-Nov-12 13:54:15

Of course what would probably be the best weekend 2 weeks before is also the busiest... It will still be in the ground when I buy it. What date do you think is the earliest I can pick it up and still expect a tree for Christmas? It has to last until Boxing Day. After that it can live or die as it pleases.

Indith Sat 03-Nov-12 13:55:30

If you only want it to last until boxing day then you are absolutely fine buying 2 or 3 weeks before. Keep it in a bucket outside until you want to put it up.

Nigglenaggle Sat 03-Nov-12 14:02:19

Ah I hadnt thought about keeping it outside - doh, it is our first real tree. Does it make a difference what you plant it in when you bring it in?

Indith Sat 03-Nov-12 14:04:40

I don't think so really personally. We keep ours in a bog standard water filled stand but usually forget to give it a drink. It lasts fine from just before Christmas until Epiphany. If you get one of the low drop firs then you can neglect it without worry grin.

Molepom Sat 03-Nov-12 15:54:01

Try this place The trees are fantastic, last forever and have delivery dates to suit you.

I bought a Fraiser Fir last year, had it up at the start of Dec and it lasted well into the new year. Even my neighbour who hates them commented on how good it was.

As with all real trees just try to keep them away from the heating and they will be fine.

LadyLetch Sat 03-Nov-12 20:21:14

Depends where you get the tree from.

My husband used to insist that we got the tree as late as possible, until the person at the garden centre pointed out that all the trees were cut at the same time. So now we buy the tree the first weekend in December and buy a 'non drop' pine. It lasts fine until January.

Olbasoil Sat 03-Nov-12 20:33:52

We put ours up on the 1st of december, its still lovley by 12th night. However, its not in a room with central heating, I wonder if that makes any difference ?

ScottishBritishMNer Sat 03-Nov-12 20:46:00

I'm with LadyLetch. Unless you buy it from somewhere that guarantees freshly cut trees, there's no benefit to leaving it until later. We usually get a 'non drop' tree too - a nordmann fir I think. We get it the first weekend in December and it lasts fine. It sits in the window away from the two radiators we have. I try and remember to water it regularly.

sausagesandwich34 Sat 03-Nov-12 20:49:53

any time in december is fine

but remember to treat your tree like a bunch of flowers -cut the base and make sure it sits in water -especially if it's in a warm room

and anyone buying them from a DIY store B&Q the trees have already been cut!

2cats2many Sat 03-Nov-12 20:50:55

We usually get ours about 10 days before christmas an it lasts until 2nd Jan (when ALL decorations are removed from our house in a big frustrated supermarket-like sweep). We put it in a bucket a water it like a bunch of flowers. It helps withs the longevity.

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Sat 03-Nov-12 21:26:00

How can you water it if it has lights on it?

I want a real one but I'm worried about electrocution!

sausagesandwich34 Sat 03-Nov-12 21:34:48

you put it in a christmas tree stand which has a well in the bottom -you don't go anywhere near the lights

Molepom Sun 04-Nov-12 08:50:30

You water the tree at the bottom, not from the top or sides.

phoebechicken Sun 04-Nov-12 10:03:56

We tend to get ours on Dec 1st and leave it up until the 12th night and it's always fine smile

dreamingofsun Sun 04-Nov-12 19:27:40

do you mean you are buying one with roots and planning to replant afterwards? if so we were told the best way of bringing it indoors was to have some form of half way house first for a few days - eg shed, garage, greenhouse that was part way between outside and inside temp wise - so doesn't shock it so much

desertgirl Sun 04-Nov-12 19:31:43

I bought a tree at the beginning of December last year. It is still in the garage waiting to be cut up for firewood. The truly bizarre thing is that pretty much all of the needles are still on it, though they are now brown and dry (and that took quite a while, even after we'd taken it out of water and put it out there...) I don't know what kind of tree it was, it was just what the hardware store had, but am assuming it was genetically crossed with superglue or something... Anyway, if you can find one like that, you could probably buy it tomorrow!

Nigglenaggle Sun 04-Nov-12 20:16:22

Cool thanks for all the answers smile We plan to go to a Christmas tree farm so it will be in the ground until we pick it, so looks like December will be fine. We have the weekend of the 7th free was just worried that was early. They have a santas grotto and petting zoo so will be a nice outing for DC as well. I am quite looking forward to it now smile

Molepom Sun 04-Nov-12 20:59:36

The 7th will be fine, that's when my tree is getting delivered.

Mousefunk Mon 05-Nov-12 13:33:57

Ordering it Thursday to be delivered 29th/30th of Nov. We do this every year and tree still looks as good by New Year when we take it down.. never had an issue with it ending up bare or anything.

StarsGhostTail Mon 05-Nov-12 13:38:49

~15 dec-12th noght no trouble in a stand with water. Wether it comes from Band Q or a field up the road.

Although I always feel a bit mean saying "Right tree, your times up" and fetching the man with the saw.

BeatTheClock Mon 05-Nov-12 13:48:13

We're having our first real one this year too. It didn't occur to me to order it. I thought you just went out and bought one.

Which type is best for keeping its needles? I'm also trying to learn about decent stands. Does anyone have one of those Krinner stands? Supposed to be good.

dreamingofsun Mon 05-Nov-12 14:26:39

i guess it depends where you live. you don't order here - just go to the field and choose. make sure you buy one that looks fresh - bend a branch back and if needles fall off when it pings back its a bit iffy. keep away from a radiator.

we have a stand thats a bit like a bucket with bits coming out at angle at the bottom so it doesn't fall over. you screw bits in at the top of the bucket to keep tree in place. and you put water in it. i think this design is pretty common and works fine

also make sure you don't buy one thats too big - very easy to do - decide how tall you need it and take a measure or stand next to it

BeatTheClock Mon 05-Nov-12 14:44:19

Thanks dreamingsmile

Yes good point about not buying one too big. I can imagine us dh doing that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now