Talk

Advanced search

Easy chapter books for a 5/6 year old?

(11 Posts)
LadyLetch Thu 01-Nov-12 20:31:15

My DD2 wants some 'grown up' books of her own (ie not hand me downs from DD1) for Christmas. By that, she means chapter books.

At the moment, she is reading Amelia Jane (Enid Blyton) and we have got the wretched Bollocks the bloody fairy book set as well.

So apart from these two, what would you suggest? She is a good, but not amazing reader (is comfortable reading purple book bands) and is in year 1, so will be 6 soon.

TafferineWheel Thu 01-Nov-12 20:37:26

Anna Hibiscus
My Naughty Little Sister
The Worst Witch

My DD loves the Bewilderwood books too, but I read those to her.

beingginger Thu 01-Nov-12 20:44:48

the worst witch and horrid henry are my (just) 6yr old dds favourites

camgirl Thu 01-Nov-12 20:46:26

Ricky Ricotta series, if she's into space/robots etc

Funnylittleturkishdelight Thu 01-Nov-12 20:50:18

At that age I loved the Pongwiffy books- though I was a very able reader. Her other books about Sir Quinten Quest and the yeti, and Big Iggy were also read over and over when I was a child.

insanityscratching Thu 01-Nov-12 20:59:56

Winnie the Witch used to be a favourite of dd's at that age.

bedmonster Thu 01-Nov-12 21:30:37

Ooh, was going to suggest that godawful fairy set grin
How about some of the Dr Seuss books? Funny and easy reading. Also, my DD nearly 7 has always enjoyed the Mr Men books. And there are some smaller Roald Dahl books too.

olibeansmummy Thu 01-Nov-12 21:38:26

There's a nice Roald Dahl box set for £15 from the book people smile

LadyLetch Thu 01-Nov-12 21:39:57

Thank you. We've already got the worst witch books. I think she'd really like my naughty little sister books and Winnie the witch, so I'll look at those especially.

Thank you all smile

woolleybear Fri 02-Nov-12 09:25:17

Second the Anna Hibiscus and Roald Dahl suggestions, we are in the middle of yet more fairies at the moment though.

DD is getting The Magic Faraway tree and the two other books in the same series for Christmas as well as more fairies, there seems to be hundreds of them!

vodkaanddietirnbru Fri 02-Nov-12 11:57:01

DS is enjoying the magic faraway tree books although I have been mostly reading them to him. Might get him the Wishing Chair Collection for christmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now