Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I mad to consider a laptop for a 7 1/2 year old ?

(9 Posts)
itonlyhappenedonce Thu 01-Nov-12 13:44:25

I've just been presented (well I did ask!) for DS's Christmas list. For the first time it has massively pricey things like a DS3, an Ipod Touch (not sure he knows exactly one of these is!) and an Ipad (!!)

We aren't really technologgy household with only one TV (nearly 8 years old), one laptop and DH's work Ipad. However, putting the money aside, I can't help thinking that the cheapest laptop would be better that any of these things. Its probably only not on his list because I said no way when he asked for one a few months ago.

I can never get on my laptop because, thanks to ITC at school, he loves Microsoft Word, loves creating documents and inserting pictures etc, likes to mess around with pictures we've taken etc as well as go on the internet.

The rules would be parental controls fitted, not allowed in his bedroom at all and, like the wii, not allowed after 6pm (don't want it to take the place of books).

He is very outdoorsy and has loads of activities and friends so I'm not concerned about the sedentiary issues with him but is it just too much too soon?

Am not normally bothered what anyone thinks but I've caught myself by suprise by considering this (think I saw similar thread before and thought the person was crazy).

sommewhereelse Thu 01-Nov-12 14:06:18

I know what you mean.

If you'd have suggested this to me when DCs were babies, I'd have thought it was a crazy idea. But we got old laptop via DH's work which we reconditioned and it's proved really handy. As you say, they sometimes need a computer for school work and DH and DS play can play network games together where they go on quests so it make for a nice bit of bonding. DD is getting into making little videos and it's nice not to have the family computer clogged up with this.

I think my main concern would be 'a laptop for Christmas at 7, what will they expect at 15!'

LadyLetch Thu 01-Nov-12 20:24:18

If its something that he is really going to use and it's what he wants go for it.

There is no rule that actually states that you have to buy a bigger and better present every year - we don't sometimes my DDs get big presents, other years not. For example, one year we bought my DD a really expensive rocking horse, the following year.... a cardboard box! (Honestly, it was what she wanted - a huge one she could make a den out of. So we got her one, and she coloured it in and loved it!)

Two years ago, my daughter had an ipod touch, last year she had a hamster - much cheaper but just as much enjoyment. I've always made it clear that they don't get expensive presents every year, then they don't expect iyswim. This year, we've bought my DDs blackberry playbooks - they don't know they're getting them. DD1 has actually asked for some Michael Morpurgo books as her main present... If you don't bring them up to expect big presents, then they won't. It's down to the way you parent them!

PerryCombover Thu 01-Nov-12 20:27:28

My D wants an IPad this yr. I think they use them and laptops at school. Might as well if you have the dosh.

EdgarAllanPond Thu 01-Nov-12 20:28:50

Not at all - my five year old has one.

she has everything loaded onto desktop so she can get it easily, and limited net access (skype, and i think school moodle will be on there) and a few vlc files to act as entertainment.

it's a great road into computing. don't get an expensive one though - look on ebay for a second hand bargain. something basic.

rhondajean Thu 01-Nov-12 22:01:16

I would have said yes you were insane, but actually having read your reasons and what your child likes, I don't think you are.

lilolilmanchester Fri 02-Nov-12 00:56:42

the views will vary widely on this, and each to their own (and will keep my views to myself!)

One thing you might like to consider is that at 7, there are soooo many other things you could get for him.. whereas teenage boys are much harder to buy for - grown out of toys, not impressed by clothes (over-generalising to make a point).

However, you have to do what is right for you and your family, regardless of what others think.

LadyLetch Fri 02-Nov-12 07:51:45

Yeah, but by the time the son reaches 14, his laptop will be 7 years old, and probably in need of updating grin

aufaniae Fri 02-Nov-12 08:45:44

Yes, definitely. Computers are the most amazing educational tools, they're not just games machines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now