Talk

Advanced search

Marks and Spencers Christmas food

(24 Posts)
urbanturban Wed 31-Oct-12 18:00:33

Apologies if this has been done before, but am perusing the fabulous-looking M&S party food, and was wondering how good it actually is?! It all looks fantastic but does it taste half-decent (and do you think its decent value for money?!) grin

We have 3DC under 5 (including the oldest whose 5th birthday is on Christmas Eve and the youngest who'll be less than 3 months old!) and so Christmas is normally manic-I can't be bothered doing a full on Christmas dinner - the last couple of years I have done a buffet and bought bits from Tesco, but I was wondering whether the M&S stuff is that bit more 'special' IYSWIM?

Anything that you've used before that has been a big hit? Anything to avoid? Any other tips to share for a harassed (but control-freak) hostess?! smile

shinybaubles Wed 31-Oct-12 18:13:53

I did this last year...it was all very nice...particularly the puddings, and nibbles, but the main event just didn't taste home cooked to me..and I was disappointed with myself , everyone one else liked it.

FedUpOfRain Wed 31-Oct-12 18:45:40

Can only speak for the nibbles and puddings, but they are very yummy! Often have party food bits on boxing day with the left over meat and it all goes down very well grin

OrangeLily Wed 31-Oct-12 18:47:15

Our whole Christmas is M&S. less time cooking more time drinking champagne!

zillyzilly Wed 31-Oct-12 18:50:53

IMO the food is very reliable and certainly more special than Tesco's stuff.

urbanturban Wed 31-Oct-12 19:34:53

Thanks all for your quick replies - M&S it is then! We always cook a large turkey and a ham to serve with the buffet so hopefully everyone will be happy (though FIL complained that there were no sprouts in the buffet last year as 'he does like a sprout at Christmas'.......hmm grin!

OrangeLily I like your style...............I plan to recline on the sofa drinking Prosecco for much of the Christmas period......am sure the GPs will unwrap/build/play with the toys while I have a rest as it's been a busy old year!

Familyguyfan Wed 31-Oct-12 19:43:18

Most of our Christmas is M and S and they've never let us down yet. The shopping experience can be less than pleasant close to Christmas, but totally worth it!

FreddyMcKruger Thu 01-Nov-12 08:59:11

I did an M&S Christmas when heavily pregnant with DS2 and I'm doing it this year with 2yo DD who is my shadow. I have ordered everything but the turkey, no peeling, chopping, boiling......lots of Prosecco and playing with the DCs toys.......I haven't told my parents though, they moaned last time I did it smile

mignonette Thu 01-Nov-12 09:09:28

If I have to have turkey then I buy turkey crowns- less waste and eliminates those days of turkey 'creativity' with the leftovers....

Chop and shred sprouts then stir fry with pancetta or bacon,sesame seeds, cranberrys, pecans, a little mirin or soy (choose any combination thereof). Good cold or mixed with mashed potato or crushed roasties then fried as bubble and squeak.

I buy the large wide baguettes, cut them into Bruschetta then layer with roasted red peppers and either Mozzarella, Halloumi or young goats cheese. Grill until bubbly. Good hot or cold.

A whole salmon is perfect for buffet, tastes great hot or cold and kids seem to like it.

I would avoid Waitrose's 'Heston Blumenthal' range, speaking of prepared food. A lot of money for what tastes like bilge. The popcorn icecream is the most hideous thing- redolent with stale soft popcorn and an after taste of rancid butter.

Aldi and Lidl have received great reviews for their Christmas puddings and Stollen this year...We make our own (and about ten more as gifts) but always but an Aldi pud.

livingfortoday Thu 01-Nov-12 14:30:13

Oh nice to see this thread.

When I had my dd earlier this year I took all m and s food into hospital and stocked up for when I came home. Twas my special week so now I have a wonderfule association with m and s.

So as it is our first christmas with family complete I have took the plunge and order the bundle deal with the turkey crown and all trimmings, got my voucher for free wine for ordering early too.

I'm going to do another order for seafood platter DH loves all that and I've never tried lobster, and some party food bundle thing for new year. We always stay in so food is the main event really. You get a free summit else's for £100 order. Deposits only now though!

Glad it's all got good feedback and look forward to it all. I do find their food is never wasted!

zillyzilly Thu 01-Nov-12 14:32:16

Yy to turkey crown and sprouts.

MrsjREwing Thu 01-Nov-12 14:35:45

Yy to M&S food much nicer than Tesco finest etc.

charlottehere Thu 01-Nov-12 14:39:23

Pretty much all our xmas food is M&S, apart from their puddings, which are over priced and not that great. Tastes yum and so much easier than faffing. smile

ShatnersBassoon Thu 01-Nov-12 14:46:13

I ordered all of Christmas dinner at M&S last year, and it was OK but parts of it were disappointing. The veg was tasteless.

Vagndidit Thu 01-Nov-12 15:23:56

I can vouch for their turkey crowns---the ones with the chestnut stuffing are particularly nice. Well worth the splurge! There's only 3 of us here for Christmas, so it's just a perfect amount.

gregssausageroll Thu 01-Nov-12 16:13:06

I used M&S. The only thing I don't recommend is their gourmet pigs in blankets with stuffing. The stuffing is very perfumed.

toomuchpizza Thu 01-Nov-12 17:42:50

We used M&S last year. DS3 was due on 8th Dec so didn't much fancy cooking. Went for the £100 festive feast that feeds 6. It was more than enough for 5 adults and 2 kids with plenty leftovers. We thought it was reasonably priced for the convenience.

In the end we were very glad we did as DS3 became very ill at a week old and spent Christmas in PICU at a hospital 200 miles away. We had to leave him there to sepnd Christmas day with our other boys and no one felt like cooking at all. The food was fine, not quite as nice as home made but very easy and the pudding and cheese selection especially were lovely.

livingfortoday Thu 01-Nov-12 21:41:44

Gregs lmao your post conjured pictures up of pigs in so e dirty pen somewhere squirting channel on themselves!

GreenEyesAndHam Thu 01-Nov-12 22:13:51

Just done my order this evening; starters, veg, garnishes and buffet.

Puddings have been ordered from Waitrose and meats and pies will be ordered from the farm shop.

I do not intend to go anywhere near a shop after the 23rd Dec this year, last year was a bloody nightmare.

gregssausageroll Fri 02-Nov-12 07:57:04

Haha!

ceeveebee Fri 02-Nov-12 08:13:32

We did M&S Christmas dinner last year as had 6 week old twins. To be honest it was quite disappointing. Roast potatoes were awful, the vegetables were just plastic bags full of carrots and sprouts (for the price I expected them to be in trays with herbs etc). Turkey crown was ok (although i thought it would be in an oventray not plastic) and the garnishes nice but more expensive then comparable from waitrose. Seafood platter for starter was £25 and had no lemon, sauce or anything. So wont be doing it again!

MrsjREwing Fri 02-Nov-12 09:25:12

The veg I get for Christmas day haven't disappointed me, they came in foil trays, honey coated parsnips, cauliflower cheese. I also get red cabbage and carrot and sweede mash for the microwave. I thought they were yummy. We don't like sprouts. The roast potatoes need much longer than suggested, I thought they came in foil trays?

Meat wise I get a turkey breasy in a foil tray and the honey gammon in a foil tray, both lovely.

mignonette Fri 02-Nov-12 10:04:22

Our tradition is to pick a fresh stalk of Brussels from our allotment. However seeing as a Muntjac ate most of our sweetcorn this summer, not holding out for any being left...

livingfortoday Fri 02-Nov-12 10:41:38

just been un m n s as the dm is here this weekend grin and they have the party food in 3 for 2 most of which can go in freezer, better than bundle deals i think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now