Talk

Advanced search

Present for 11 yr old dd

(20 Posts)
Flippityjig Tue 30-Oct-12 17:34:53

The only thing my dd wants for Christmas is an ipod touch but it is more expensive than we usually spend (usually up to £75) and also she already has an mp3 player she never uses and a mobile that she plays games on. I think she only wants it because her friend got one for her birthday and for the apps.

However as she doesn't play much with toys I'm stuck for ideas as to what to get her for christmas. I don't want to give her just money or clothes either. She likes the thought of toys but doesn't want to look babyish either.

She has a cd player, bits of jewellery, just looking for a main present really.

What is everyone getting their preteens?

Myliferocks Tue 30-Oct-12 17:37:18

Have you thought about a cheap tablet?
You can get them for as little as £60.

neddle Tue 30-Oct-12 17:43:42

There's some kind of trade in offer on ipods. I think it's hmv. There's a link on the bargainous christmas tthread.

Leeds2 Tue 30-Oct-12 18:04:38

A kindle, if she is a reader.

rhondajean Tue 30-Oct-12 21:23:50

If its the only thing she wants, wouldn't it be worth getting her?

Apple do a refurbished one with a full year apple warranty for £129. I know it's more than you usually spend but perhaps if you didn't get the other presents you could afford it, and if it is really the only thing she wants, she will be made up.

I'd personally rather spend a little bit more for something I know they will love than waste two thirds of the money on something they don't really want and would be disappointed with. I'd even give her the £75 and tell Her she could save up the rest for the touch rather than jsut buy something?

iheartdusty Tue 30-Oct-12 21:33:00

DD's wishlist includes:

laptop, blackberry phone, ipad. No to all those.

we have got her a camcorder here

Other things she requested:
microphone & karaoke set
megaphone grin NO
metal detector

What about a guitar and lessons
camera
rollerblades
tickets to an event

Flippityjig Tue 30-Oct-12 23:28:26

I just can't see the point in getting it for her when she doesn't use the mp3 player she has and I don't want her to sit staring at apps all the time.

I did think about a cheap tablet but don't know anyone who has one other than the ipad and is able to recommend a good one.

A kindle may be a good idea as she loves reading.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Keep them coming! :-)

Flippityjig Tue 30-Oct-12 23:30:35

She has a guitar and had weekly lesson
s.

She also has a (cheap but adequate) camera.

She doesn't like roller skating.

chocolatespiders Tue 30-Oct-12 23:31:08

Kindle fire would give her more options smile

Flippityjig Tue 30-Oct-12 23:31:28

Sorry she has weekly lessons.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 30-Oct-12 23:33:33

We were in the exact same position last year and in the end went with the iPod: so glad we did it, I think for uses per pound it's been the best value present either child has ever had. If she's convinced she wants one, I would go for it if you can.

Floralnomad Tue 30-Oct-12 23:36:43

My DD is 13 ,she never used her old iPod but got a new iPod touch this year and uses it daily so you may find that she does use it . She also has an iPad that gets lots of use as she has the kindle app on it .

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 30-Oct-12 23:38:14

Also dds saves a fortune in phone top ups because she can chat to friends on bump etc. I do think if she's sure that's what she wants it might be a good idea.

Flippityjig Wed 31-Oct-12 13:01:24

Just been looking at the Kindle Fire and this looks great! Can do so much more than the ipod Touch AND is a kindle as well. Expensive though. Fancy one myself too!

AuntieShirley Wed 31-Oct-12 21:39:25

My dd is 11 and guitar mad. She just wants another guitar for Christmas and as she is in a rock band since starting secondary school she has picked up the bass guitar lately, so we will be getting her a bass guitar. Would your dd want to extend her guitar collection?
I have been thinking about an ipod touch for her and ds, but the price really puts me off, much easier to break/lose/steal than a guitar. They would be made up, but I just don't think we could afford it.

I will also give her a voucher for H&M or Primark. Her uncle gave her one for her birthday and she loved it!

She also needs a nice jewelry box for her earings and a wallet, and would like chocolate making stuff.

MerseyMama Wed 31-Oct-12 21:43:42

I also would get her the iPod touch I gave in and bought one fir my daughter who doesn't listen to music much. It was more than we would usually spend but she lives it and the apps are great.

MerseyMama Wed 31-Oct-12 22:18:14

If you did want to get a cheap tablet I can recommend a natpc I bought two,one for myself and one for my 8 year old. Wendy Lou sells them on amazon.The one I bought my daughter was £59 and it's amazing value for money.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 01-Nov-12 00:22:21

My DD is 10.6 (so a little bit younger than yours)
She wanted an iPod and she's very responsible ,looks after things well.

We agreed with her- she used some Christmas money from my DBro (that he'd already sent her) the money my dad sends her and the rest herself (worked out 2x £50 present money and she paid £34.She got a cover and other bits too)

She'll get her presents from us (though no idea what) and she's got the iPod she wanted.

Bessie123 Thu 01-Nov-12 00:26:12

Oh give her what she wants, it's not as if she asked for the moon and stars. So what if it's ott? You're not doing it every day and she's only your baby for a little while. She can have something frivolous occasionally and I bet it won't do any harm.

Flippityjig Thu 01-Nov-12 10:23:51

My dd is not responsible and careful, she loses lots of things.

Also we are a very small family so she doesn't have lots of christmas money to contribute towards it and the grandparents only buy trash for about £20 max. so won't want to contribute either (we have tried this asking them in the past, it never works).

I also have another two children who are older and can't really afford to buy each of them something for that amount of money.

Thanks for the tip about the cheap tablet, MerseyMama, I'll have a look at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now