Talk

Advanced search

Has the ds had its day?

(6 Posts)
hillyhilly Tue 30-Oct-12 08:55:01

My dd really wants a ds, mainly I think because there is a moshi monsters games for it.
At the moment we let her and her brother play on our phones onto which I can regularly download free and cheap games so nothing lost if they don't like them but she is insistent and I don't know whether to indulge her or not.
We'd have to get two (she is 7 and ds is 5).
Worth it or not?
Please give me your wise advise!

Waitingforastartofall Tue 30-Oct-12 08:59:09

Our dcs have a 3ds, it was a better offer than the old style and the game they wanted happened to be in 3d. I like them, as you say though they dont often get new games apart from birthday and christmas whereas apps are free. They are relatively simple to use the normal ds, all of them really. and games for any ds are available preowned from stores like granger games with a warranty ect. The only thing that bothers me is the price of games but it just means they have to wait till occasions for new ones. Ds doesnt often have the 3d on as he doesnt really like it but will for certain games. They get alot of use so i think they were a decent buy.

LynetteScavo Tue 30-Oct-12 09:04:17

All mine have DSs. The are used very rarely now, although were used a lot a couple of years ago. while the 7yo is happy with it, the 9yo thinks it;s a bit tragic and wants an iphone (He plays on DHs a lot) of an ipod touch.

The games are expensive, but you can get 2nd hand ones, which mine have done with their own money. My DC were disappointed with the moshi game...apparently it's nowhere near as good as playing Moshis on the PC.

Waitingforastartofall Tue 30-Oct-12 09:27:25

sd is after the moshi fun park game lynette im hoping its better than the previous moshi game like you said it was nothing like the website

ChiefOwl Tue 30-Oct-12 15:47:22

We have ds's and the kids like them for holidays and car journeys but they don't get lts of use, they were bought 2nd hand a fewyears ago. Dd is 7 and also has an iPod touch which she loves, it has all her music on it and loads (she has a moshi game on there)

NoSoggyBottoms Tue 30-Oct-12 17:14:09

DS (11) has a ds! Never gets used now. Chips aren't working but it isn't being missed. Maybe if he was interested in a particular game it would get used more. He mainly uses the Xbox and laptop now.

The ds is handy for journey's though, good distraction from the "are we nearly there yet" or "how much longer"...although we've also given him DP's smartphone to play games on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now