Talk

Advanced search

Where should we spend Christmas and who with (or not)?

(17 Posts)
25BeautifulGnomes Mon 29-Oct-12 12:13:22

I need some help to decide what the best option would be please.

The situation is this-we are moving into new house late November and I don't know whether I am going to want to just be in the new house or escape from the boxes and hosting duties, and go to my parents!

Should we:

a) Spend Christmas Day in our house just me, DH, DD and have all other family (my parents and grandparents, DH parents and siblings) to visit us on Boxing Day for buffet.
b) Have my parents and grandparents to join us in the afternoon on Christmas Day for full roast dinner and them stay night (will involve us sleeping on floor-not relishing this I have to admit!). They leave Box Day morning and DHs family come over for rest of day for buffet.
c) Go to my parents on Christmas Day afternoon for roast etc and come home Christmas Day night then have DHs family to us on Boxing Day.

I need to let extended family know what we are doing asap and I can't decide - anyone got any good/bad experiences to share please?

I do love the idea of doing exactly what we want when we want on Christmas Day I have to say...ie option a)

If we go for this, how do those of you who spend Christmas Day in your own home with just DH and dcs spend the day?

I've never done it before, we have always gone to my parents and DHs parents, as we have been in small rented flats that haven't felt like home or been big enough. But this year will be different ie we will have own house and will be big enough.

Argh, I know I am overthinking this, help please! wwyd?

Gumby Mon 29-Oct-12 12:15:29

I'd do c)
It's very important for me to sleep in my own bed but having someone to cook dinner & spoil the kids sounds lovely

worm77daisy Mon 29-Oct-12 12:32:35

I'd do c) too if it has been offered.

25BeautifulGnomes Mon 29-Oct-12 12:33:43

Thanks Gumby - yes DD totally adores GPs particularly my Dad so would have a lovely afternoon, thing is will be a 90 min drive each way for us - forgot to add that! But still, knowing we were coming back to our own bed would be lovely, as would not having to cook the full works (I do always help my DM though!!)

25BeautifulGnomes Mon 29-Oct-12 12:35:15

Thanks worm77daisy - so that's 2 votes for c) so far.... smile

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Mon 29-Oct-12 12:47:03

I would do a), then c). But definitely NOT b) that sounds way too hectic for me!

25BeautifulGnomes Mon 29-Oct-12 13:36:07

Thanks HoldMeCloser - as in a) would be your first choice and c) your second? Yes b) scares me!

girlywhirly Mon 29-Oct-12 13:44:57

I think as you will have not long moved in, option C sounds best for this year. By next year you will have sorted out better sleeping arrangements, i.e. a sofa bed or aerobed for the lounge or somewhere for you if you wanted to do option B.

25BeautifulGnomes Mon 29-Oct-12 14:21:26

Thanks girlywhirly, another vote for c) smile

Then next year we will definitely be more organised and settled to repay the Christmas Day hosting!

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Mon 29-Oct-12 20:22:16

Yes, sorry, I meant a) would be my first choice, c) my second and b) would be waaaaaaay down the list!

sunnyday123 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:13:36

I'd do c! We go the GPS each year, lots of people, kids etc and its so much fun. I imagine it'd be nice but fairly boring on our own! We spend many a day on our own so I love big Xmas gatherings! Def c, then b, then a.

GirlYouMakeMeTongueTied Tue 30-Oct-12 08:01:29

a. Have a fab first christmas in your new home, then a boxing day party.

25BeautifulGnomes Tue 30-Oct-12 09:58:20

Thanks holdmecloser, sunnyday and girlyoumake me - c) does sound good in principle but the reality is dd is the only child in the family, and everyone else we would see on Christmas Day aside from me and DH is getting on a bit (!) so it is rather a quiet and sedate affair...

Think I am leaning towards a) at the moment...thanks to everyone that has answered and given an opinion and helped my decision!

Trills Tue 30-Oct-12 10:11:20

You've said that you don't know what you will want to do.

So don't decide yet.

Wait till you do know what you want to do.

25BeautifulGnomes Tue 30-Oct-12 10:15:14

Thanks trills, the thing is that I need to tell DM what the plan is asap so that she can work out food / logistics etc - so I don't really have the luxury of waiting and seeing, gah!

Trills Tue 30-Oct-12 19:29:16

Unless you need to book train or plane tickets, does it all really really need to be sorted two months in advance?

I can see that she may like to have it sorted, but that's not the same as needing to.

starfishmummy Wed 31-Oct-12 21:52:30

I'd go for a - but without the big boxing day thing

I am antisocial grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now