Talk

Advanced search

I have been nominated for the Christmas appeal and am completely overwhelmed. BUT I REALLY WANT TO SAY...

(58 Posts)
Jacksmania Sun 28-Oct-12 21:08:34

... I don't live in the UK and posting anything here (West Coast of Canada) is probably stupidly expensive, and so I just want to say

THANK YOU SO VERY HUGELY ENORMOUSLY MUCH to whomever nominated me, you daft thing you, there are so many others on here who would have deserved it much more, I have become much more or a lurker than a poster so I absolutely have no idea what I might have been nominated for...

AND IF IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE TO SEND ANYTHING HERE PLEASE DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE smile smile smile

Just the nomination is enough. I read the PM and was just in floods. Whatever is was for, whoever did it - thank you.

<wipes away more tears>

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

PinkSoccerMum Sun 28-Oct-12 21:10:05

Aww that's lovely grin

Jacksmania Sun 28-Oct-12 21:14:57

Could have knocked me over with a feather.

cleeve6 Sun 28-Oct-12 21:30:16

What does this mean? What is the Christmas appeal? What do you need sent over?

steppemum Sun 28-Oct-12 21:47:19

jacks, I've read a few of your posts and you deserve it grin

(but twasn't me)

KnickersOnOnesHead Sun 28-Oct-12 21:49:45

Aww bless ya!!

I was nominated a few years ago and it is just a heartwarming feeling that someone has even thought of you!!

everydayaschoolday Sun 28-Oct-12 21:52:21

The Christmas Appeal is like a Secret Santa. MN'ters nominate worthy MN recipients, and MN can also bid to be a Donator. The Nominee gets notified of their nomination (as above OP has). Then once MN HQ have their confirmed list of Nominees, they match them with their list of Donors. Donors are told gender and ages of children, and an address. Can send gift voucher, gifts for kids, gifts for the MN'ter, or any combination of those. Christmas Appeal runs every year and the nominating and donating list just closed last week on the top of the Christmas Thread.

everydayaschoolday Sun 28-Oct-12 21:55:09

jacks that was a lovely post. I hope something makes it's way through to snowy (yet?) Canada x

GhostShip Sun 28-Oct-12 21:59:52

Not sure how this works, but whoever is sending stuff too Jacks, if you need help with postage I'll willingly contribute.

Not having someone missing out just because of extortionate postage fees!

meditrina Sun 28-Oct-12 22:01:40

Maybe MNHQ has found another Canadian MNetter as your sender?

But I think your OP shows it really is the thought that counts.

cleeve6 Sun 28-Oct-12 22:08:43

Oh I see (thanks everyday, for explanation). Is it possible to have something like PayPal, so MNers can donate cash, instead of paying postage to send 'stuff' all the way to Canada?

everydayaschoolday Sun 28-Oct-12 22:15:51

I don't think MNHQ run the PayPal system for the Christmas Appeal. I think it's less about the money and more about the thought. I think it might spoil the personal touch too, as I want to put in a christmas card with mine.

3bunnies Sun 28-Oct-12 22:15:56

Or buy stuff online in Canada, my friend buys stuff on US amazon for family over there rather than buying here and paying postage.

everydayaschoolday Sun 28-Oct-12 22:18:06

thats a brill idea 3bunnies

LineRunner Sun 28-Oct-12 22:19:47

That's so sweet. It really is the thought that counts, isn't it?

IamtheZombie Sun 28-Oct-12 22:21:25

Jacks, were you affected by this morning's earthquake?

WorraLiberty Sun 28-Oct-12 22:33:19

I've been nominated too and I was utterly stunned! shock blush

I got a PM from Rebecca this afternoon and I've had a warm glow ever since.

So to whoever nominated me, thank you so much...it's really touching thanks

Oh and you're a nutcase but cheeers! grin wine

WorraLiberty Sun 28-Oct-12 22:36:05

Oh and congratulations OP thanks

Don't let the fact you live in Canada stop you from filling in the form because maybe they'll send you a voucher rather than a parcel?

Jacksmania Sun 28-Oct-12 23:04:46

Zombie, no, we weren't. It was actually in the middle of last night, I think around 11:30 pm PST. Maybe a bit later. Was a bit unnerving though because DH and I were in Seattle for the weekend, and DS was staying with lovely MIL for the weekend. It was our first weekend away together, just the two of us, ever (I am blush to admit this but DS is 4... we just tend to take him places with us), so extra special - but when I heard about the earthquake just west of Tofino, which is on the west coast of Vancouver Island, and that apparently there was a tsunami warning for the Island, my first thought was thank fuck DS and MIL are too far inland for it to be a problem... and now I want to go home!
All ok though. Turns out DH's auntie was actually staying at a beachside condp in Tofino and they were briefly evacuated but then allowed to return as the dreaded tsunami wave ended up being 12 cm high grin
(My question is how did they know it was a tsunami wave and not just a normal beach wave?)

Anyway - thank you for asking but we're all fine smile

and I quite heart you Zombie, I lurked on the thread with your backstory and hugely admire you thanks

BeaWheesht Sun 28-Oct-12 23:08:46

Oh I didn't realise you lived on Vancouver Island - we spent part of our honeymoon in Victoria - just loved it.

Jacksmania Sun 28-Oct-12 23:09:39

WorraLiberty, you were nominated? shock

Jacksmania Sun 28-Oct-12 23:10:13

No, no, I don't live on the Island. I'm about 45 mins east of Vancouver.

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Sun 28-Oct-12 23:11:26

I was nominated too.

Felt really ill today and last night and the pm had me blubbing . Truly truly touched that anyone even thought of me no idea what i have done to deserve it though .

Congratulations OP!

BeaWheesht Sun 28-Oct-12 23:12:28

Ohhh sorry realise that now - misread it due to wine / knackeredness! Still I'm sure you're in an amazing place! I dream of returning one day especially to jasper.

Anyways sorry for the hijack - congrats on the nomination

MaryZcary Sun 28-Oct-12 23:15:21

I have also been nominated which has made me feel very gooey inside blush.

I too feel it is not really feasible to send things to me (not mainland UK), but the thought is enough smile, so I'm opting out of receiving but just love, love, love the fact that someone is thinking of me [huge smile]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now