Talk

Advanced search

am I the only person who only buys the dc one present each?

(211 Posts)
soverylucky Sun 28-Oct-12 15:10:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ghouljamaflip Sun 28-Oct-12 15:19:56

Mine get one pressie from their dad and me each and one from their brothers and sisters so 2 each in total from immediate family. What aunts and uncles do is up to them. Grandparents buy them sensible pressies eg clothes or winter boots or something they need for a hobby etc.

Father Christmas does visit but each stocking has limit of £20 (mainly sweets, pencils, small games, socks and usually a couple of books and new pjs) We usually spend about £50 on their main pressie with £10 on the one from their siblings.

Not a case of being tight, more that we haven't a fortune to splash around and we have 4dcs.

FreakoidOrganisoid Sun 28-Oct-12 15:22:30

Mine only get one present from me.
But I do go mad with the stockings. They're from Father Christmas though so don't count wink

trikken Sun 28-Oct-12 15:23:32

One main present, then a couple of little ones. Eg if they got a ds then they might get an extra game etc. we do stockings here as well though.

puds11 Sun 28-Oct-12 15:24:31

I don't buy my DD xmas presents.

nancy75 Sun 28-Oct-12 15:26:41

Puds11, is that because you don't celebrate Christmas?

Shesparkles Sun 28-Oct-12 15:28:52

It's not tight, it's doing what works for your family.
We tend to buy a lot of gifts for our kids, or wrap up things they'd be getting anyway (Xmas pants anyone? grin), because we don't have a big extended family. There is my dad and sister, and that's all. We do it because it works for us smile

puds11 Sun 28-Oct-12 15:29:22

No, we celebrate christmas, i just feel that she gets enough without me adding to it. Kids get so many presents they don't ever play with, it all seems a bit pointless. I always take her to see santa, and she gets to pick a helium balloon, but that its from me and her dad.

RTchoke Sun 28-Oct-12 15:30:01

I get the DCs: one pair of PJs each (to open on Xmas eve), one main present (approx £40-£50), a couple of books and a few v cheap stocking fillers (£8ish for whole stocking)

I try to make Christmas about a lot more than the pressies. Their excitement is as much to do with decorating the house, making gingerbread houses, christingles, scattering reindeer food, xmas movie, going to their grandparents for a yummy dinner etc

Inneedofbrandy Sun 28-Oct-12 15:32:32

I do buy loads, I've gone into debt every year apart from this year. I was going to cut it down to 6 but I love they get a massive pile so about 11/12 this year. That does include a couple of £2/3 pound stuff and their main present is only £25 each this year. I guess it stems from being the kid that never had new stuff, name brands and knitted cardigans for school.

I dont buy presents apart from birthday and Christmas so it's a chance to spoil them.

puds11 Sun 28-Oct-12 15:38:31

But brandy do they even play with all the stuff you get them? I couldn't imagine getting in to debt just for christmas! I love christmas but its the feeling, and the family time i love, not the shit that comes from the shops.

WhispersOfWickedness Sun 28-Oct-12 15:44:11

I saw a lovely little verse on Pinterest that I'm trying to stick to;

4 gift rules
One thing they want
One thing they need
One thing to wear
One thing to read

Other than that list, they will both have a stocking with small cheap 'tat' and something from each other smile

iloveholidays Sun 28-Oct-12 15:44:51

My DDs get about 6 presents for under the tree including 1 "big" item, although doesn't necessarily all mean expensive. These have totaled £40ish for DD2 this year, although getting DD1 a bike so hers will probably be double that. I also do a big stocking, although again about £30 each for these.

To me, I do what I feel comfortable with/can afford. I wouldn't go into debt. I'm lucky that the girls get a lot of clothes from my sister and I generally only buy toys at birthdays and Christmas. Both DP and I love the idea of them walking into the lounge Christmas morning to see lots of presents under the tree - to me it is just something lovely and exciting about it. We have got a big family but the presents tend to get spread over a number of days.

You do what you feel comfortable with. As the girls get older and start asking for "big expensive" presents then the number will considerably go down.

Pumpster Sun 28-Oct-12 15:48:41

I buy what I know mine will like and I don't go into debt for it. Puds I assume your child is very young?

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 28-Oct-12 15:51:33

I only buy one thing for birthdays, for christmas its one wrapped present (usually a book), one santa present, a small stocking, christmas pjs and christmas outfit

I don't think its tight, I don't think they enjoy ANY of their presents if they are overwhelmed with too much stuff.

puds11 Sun 28-Oct-12 15:52:39

Yup shes 4. t this age, she doesn't notice, im not sure how it will change when she is older. It will probably be a while before i buy her anything. I think maybe when her GPs and aunties and uncles have other children to buy for she will get less, but at the mo she is the only child in the family (which is quite large, 3 sets of GP's, 2 sets of GGP, 10 aunty and uncles).

woolleybear Sun 28-Oct-12 16:04:36

DD gets quite alot from us, but only gets token gifts from two other people and I find thats the difference between us and friends who might have lots of family that buy for their children. This year she hasn't asked for anything big so she has lots of little bits, so it seems more than normal.

gregssausageroll Sun 28-Oct-12 16:08:41

Ds gets loads but being the opposite of you - bar a cousin he gets a selection box from that is it. No aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. so we do get him a lot.

Inneedofbrandy Sun 28-Oct-12 16:18:51

No they didn't. 3 years ago I bought baby born doll every accessory you could think of to go with it including stupid amount for a bike and roller skates, clothes an extra food. My dd doesn't like dolls and has never played with it unless her friends were around and wanted to play.

Last year I wasn't in debt but I spent all my savings, they did get bikes each clothes shoes and coats and more sensible presents they played with and needed.

This year they don't need anything ( apart from clothes ) so there presents reflect it. So it's crafty sets, board games clothes and there will be no last minute panic buys because I don't feel they have enough.
It was ridiculous and I really don't recommend doing it.

DisappointedHorse Sun 28-Oct-12 17:29:58

I buy quite a bit for mine. The pile is always a reasonable size. I don't get into debt though, I just buy bits throughout the year.

But - I don't do stockings so any little pressies like selection boxes, socks etc just get wrapped up and put with the rest. It probably makes it look far more impressive than it actually is!

nancy75 Sun 28-Oct-12 17:30:56

Puds, so on Christmas morning does she come downstairs to no presents at all under the tree? Do you do father Christmas?

MrsCantSayAnything Sun 28-Oct-12 17:33:17

I can't believe Puds does not buy ANYTHING! Do you really think the child won't be sad on Christmas morning once it is old enough to know about it?

altinkum Sun 28-Oct-12 17:34:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsCantSayAnything Sun 28-Oct-12 17:34:06

I totally see why some people prefer to buy one or two things though. But nothing? Come on. Unless it's your religion...a helium balloon?? Really?

ginmakesitallok Sun 28-Oct-12 17:35:22

Our DC always have loads on Christmas morning - we always say we're not getting them much and end up overdoing it. That along with 2 very generous GPs, aunties and uncles etc mean our place is like Santa's grotto. We don't go into debt though.

Puds - unless you can't afford it I think you are being pretty mean. Not surprised other folk get them stuff if they know that you don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now