Talk

Advanced search

Where do you buy your Christmas cards?

(41 Posts)
marleybrodie Sun 28-Oct-12 13:00:45

Just that really and are you bothering?- with the cost of stamps.
I am cutting down .

missnappyknickers Sun 28-Oct-12 13:08:06

Always get mine in the sales after xmas,bought some from marks last year for about 50p,have enough to do 2/3 years even if it means they get the style card,only send to close family etc but do send to some old work colleagues when we don't speak from one year to the next yet we keep up the old card sending..why do we do that and yea with the cost of stamps think I will knock it on the head

Charity. www.candlelighters.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx

I will buy from them as they have a Christmas range and we have had a lot of support from them through DDs illness.

Taffraid Sun 28-Oct-12 13:12:40

I still send them. All my friends still do.

I got mine 2 years ago in a sale at Waterstone's - they are gorgeous red squirrel ones - can't remember the charity - Woodland Trust? or some sort of countryside one. They are very very good quality and were a stupid price at the end of Jan. I forgot I had them last year so wrote a note to myself on this year's calendar to remind myself not to but any. blush

marleybrodie Sun 28-Oct-12 13:14:01

Just found a 20% off coupon for paperchase....bulk order tonight I think but will be cutting back on the posted ones.

Meglet Sun 28-Oct-12 13:15:56

Charity shop.

SilkStalkings Sun 28-Oct-12 18:30:03

I don't send them, think they're a shocking waste of trees, especially when they come from someone you see everyday and when people send their kids in to school with a card for each member of the class.
We use the Jacqueline Lawson e-cards and just send cards to people who don't have email.

DorisIsWaiting Sun 28-Oct-12 18:47:33

I will be cutting down but I buy them direct from the charity I support (i.e. no whsmith or boots type middle man)

2madboys Sun 28-Oct-12 19:02:41

I'm a Phoenix trader so buy them from myself!

CelstialNavigation Sun 28-Oct-12 19:10:49

I buy from one of the combined websites like this where you can choose a charity and buy directly from them - so the charity is getting far more benefit.

www.christmas-cards.org.uk/

Was shocked to realise just how low a percentage of funds went to the actual charities when you buy charity cards from Waterstones etc

coldcupoftea Sun 28-Oct-12 19:15:16

Used to get them direct from a charity shop, usually oxfam.

This year DD has just started reception and they design their own xmas cards so I got emotionally blackmailed by the PTA mum have ordered all of mine from school.

travailtotravel Sun 28-Oct-12 19:20:14

Charity - these this year www.fitzroy.org/catalog/products for the Santa Cupcakes.

mameulah Sun 28-Oct-12 19:20:48

I only send Christmas cards to people who I never or rarely see. The folk that if I met them in the street I would be delighted to have bumped into them.

I tell you what, that fairly cuts it down!

exoticfruits Sun 28-Oct-12 19:25:29

I get charity ones. I love Christmas cards and letters but I am not going to send them this year because the cost of postage is just ridiculous. I shall send virtual ones or phone or see people-if I can't do any of the above then there isn't much point in sending a card! Having said that there are a few elderly people who will get one-the ones that are past sending them out.

Floralnomad Sun 28-Oct-12 19:25:45

Don't send a lot and this year I'm getting them from the Donkey Sanctuary , they have some really cute ones ,with some donkeys and mistletoe .

CelstialNavigation Sun 28-Oct-12 19:26:21

BTW some of the charities on this website also sell second class stamps at 40p each instead of 60p

(but only sell one stamp per card you buy at the discounted price - ie 20 stamps at the discounted price if you're buying a pack of 20 cards).

oldraver Sun 28-Oct-12 19:40:24

I've just bought some lovely ones from M+S in a 3d style (cant find them online).They were on the 3 for 2 so got 15 cards and that will be all I'm sending

TeaOneSugar Sun 28-Oct-12 19:46:56

I looked through my christmas card/wrap stash this morning and I really don't need to buy any this year (except individual ones) I've got cards left over from last year and the year before.

I don't post many, mainly to DH's aunties and a couple of cousins, a few friends who live further away, the list reduces year on year.

It's the individual ones that do my head in, trying to find a mother card that isn't OTT sloppy.

beingginger Sun 28-Oct-12 19:50:35

i stopped sending them 2 years ago. the world didn't implode and not 1 person has even mentioned it to me.
in fact the only person i send one to is my granny and that's because She lives far away and she likes getting them.

free yourselves of the christmas cards!!

Figgygal Sun 28-Oct-12 19:51:09

Dogs trust last couple of years not sure about this year yet.

TeaOneSugar Sun 28-Oct-12 20:06:07

I cull the list every year, based on the ones we recieve, probably not in the spirit, but I hate writing cards.

SilkStalkings Mon 29-Oct-12 07:24:56

TeaOneSugar you don't HAVE to get Cards with the relationship Pre-printed on itgrin. My in laws do this for every occasion, we think it's hilarious, esp as DH always ends up with rather kiddy-looking son cards. But we would really rather they put less effort in to that and more into other areas (for their own benefit.)

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 29-Oct-12 07:36:03

I get them reduced somewhere...I try to get charity ones but tbh a lot of them are anyway, and it is mainly about if I like the picture.

I found some nice ones in TKMaxx this year and last year - Galleries and Museums ones. They're beautiful, they only had a couple of packs though back in September.

I do still bother.

girlywhirly Mon 29-Oct-12 07:53:31

We buy direct from charity shops. DH gives more cards than I do, but the majority are sent in work internal mail to colleagues and friends, even to sites in other towns, or given by hand which cuts postage costs.

I think what's left of my relatives are starting to cut back on cards and I am doing the same, so it's mostly friends I send to, and cards by hand to the neighbours.

TeaOneSugar Mon 29-Oct-12 07:59:16

SilkStalkingsMon Unfortunately it's expected, and a real pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now