Talk

Advanced search

When do you decorate for christmas?

(27 Posts)
therealdoctorswife Sun 28-Oct-12 12:01:27

i'm really curious as to when you decorate for Christmas and when you think is too early.

I love Christmas and decorate the first weekend of December however growing up we wouldn't decorate until the day before Christmas eve.

Rachel130690 Sun 28-Oct-12 12:14:07

I'll be the same. I've got my own house this year and I shall be decorating from the start of December.

SoggyMoggy Sun 28-Oct-12 12:19:02

I start the weekend after Thanksgiving. This year that'll mean hanging the outdoor lights on November 24th. I hold off decorating inside til a bit closer to the day, just so I spend less time trying not to knock the tree over.

MikeLitorisBites Sun 28-Oct-12 12:20:13

Normally the first. Sometimes a few days after but never before.

Goldpippin Sun 28-Oct-12 12:20:16

We will be doing it on the 16th this year. We have a big real tree so don't like to do it any earlier or the tree isn't at it's best.

ISeeThreadPeople Sun 28-Oct-12 12:23:20

We have a local Christmas market, this year taking place on the 1st and 2nd. We go to that and get ideas, buy some ribbons and wreath templates and stuff, then go for a long walk on the coast and collect fircones, holly, twigs, berries etc. We spend the next week making decorations, drying out oranges, tying cinnamon sticks, spraying fircones, drying holly etc and then start decorating from the following weekend. So around the 8th this year.

Flojo1979 Sun 28-Oct-12 12:23:42

My parents decorate the wkend before Christmas, since having my kids its got earlier and earlier. It's such a big faff so I want them up as long as possible. Some people round here decorate before the 1st, I dont, except the year I had c section booked at end of Nov when I decked early.

TwinkleReturns Sun 28-Oct-12 12:24:08

The first day of advent. As far as Im concerned as soon as the advent calendars and candles get dug out of the box I might aswell stick everything else up. I do everything early though - cards all written already, half presents made/bought, beginning to stock up on non-perishable foods etc.

Flojo1979 Sun 28-Oct-12 12:24:57

Blimey Isee that sounds like a lot of work fun!

TheDeathAndGories Sun 28-Oct-12 12:26:17

First weekend after the 1st to avoid a family birthday being absorbed into Christmas

JollyJackOLantern Sun 28-Oct-12 12:26:23

When we get our tree.

Probably the 16th this year.

Floralnomad Sun 28-Oct-12 12:28:35

We also do the first weekend in December , this year I will be away with my DD so DH has been told to get on with it . I think a more interesting topic is when do you put it all away again. I've generally had enough of it by the 28 th and its all put away before New Year , don't believe in the 12 th night rule in this house. We do the outside lights the last weekend in November so they can go on on December 1 st,

Inneedofbrandy Sun 28-Oct-12 12:33:17

Usually the 1st December or the first weekend. I usually get fed up of the decorations and take then down boxing day so this year going to wait to not the first weekend before but the second. Also getting a real tree this year and don't want it to be bare by Christmas!

apprenticeboy Sun 28-Oct-12 12:35:12

The week before Christmas.

KatyMac Sun 28-Oct-12 12:35:33

On the 16th & it's coming down on 20th grin

MirandaWest Sun 28-Oct-12 12:39:06

Normally things go up the second weekend of December so around 8th December. They go down on twelth night.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 28-Oct-12 12:39:42

Christmas Eve or the day before.

TidyDancer Sun 28-Oct-12 12:39:46

1st December or thereabouts in this house. This year the 1st falls on a weekend, so that will work out well.

Mrsrobertduvallsaysboo Sun 28-Oct-12 12:41:50

About the 15th, but down about the 28th.

missnappyknickers Sun 28-Oct-12 12:49:31

Around about the 28th november maybe even a day or two earlier,apart from the tree I don't switch on any outdoor and window lights until the 1st dec.I leave them up straight through till the 6th jan and hate taking them down it is only once a year so the longer the better for me thank god I have little ones who agree..I will never grow up,I believe,I believe

Boxes unpacked to decide at end of November, so I can set up the advent calendars and give away bits DCs have grown out of (ie the cheap tat DH bought the year before). Usually wrap some lights around bannister and hang a few ornaments then. Sometimes add a bit of fresh greenery a few days before Christmas, depending on time, money and weather.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 28-Oct-12 12:54:27

I used to put the tree up on the 1st, as I get annoyed with it being up after Christmas, so usually up 1st and down day after Boxing Day. However DD was born the week before Christmas last year, and I am thinking that I might have to wait to put the tree up until after her Birthday from now on, so may end up keeping it up later.

Rachel130690 Mon 29-Oct-12 16:01:19

Last year I bought my first tree, it was a week or 2 before Christmas that it went up and we took it down for st Patrick's day smile

Arisbottle Mon 29-Oct-12 16:02:59

We have a mixture of tacky lights and home made decorations indoors like Isee. We start the first weekend in December

sweetheart Mon 29-Oct-12 16:06:31

My ds's birthday is in the 2nd week of December and I like him to have his birthday before we start with Christmas so we usually do it the weekend after ds's birthday. I do go to town though as I love Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now