Talk

Advanced search

Rocking horse for christmas - good present

(15 Posts)
FierceShushing Sun 28-Oct-12 07:33:19

Do you have a rocking horse and most importantly do your DCs play on it much? Someone has offered to buy one for Christmas but I don't know if it would get used, never having had one myself.

mrspumpkinpatch Sun 28-Oct-12 16:07:56

I got a beautiful handmade rocking horse in the 1980s. It was well played on, used as a clothes horse when i was a teenager wink

DD is getting it this year. They are lovely toys and encourage imaginative play.

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 28-Oct-12 16:14:11

I would edge them away from it personally, its a very bulky item and would have very limited use, DS had a rocking police thingy (same as a rocking horse really) and it was loved for a couple of months then never used, it was second hand so no quams about sending it to the charity shop when finished with but it'd be tricky to get rid of a rocking horse if it was a special gift from someone

paneer Sun 28-Oct-12 17:51:03

DD got one when she was 2 for Christmas and hardly ever used it. It went in the loft and I tried it again after a while and she still wasnt interested.

Depends on your child.

Mine didn't really use the wheelie bug either.

Lancelottie Sun 28-Oct-12 17:54:14

Don't do it!
Yesterday, we went to sort out the neighbours' house while they're away, and DS commented on how lovely it looked. 'They choose stuff for their house and we just sort of HAVE stuff all over the place,' as he put it. So I suggested parting with the
bloody great huge furry rocking horse for a start.

He was horrified. Apparently it's an old family friend and more like a pet than an old toy.

DS is 16...

paneer Sun 28-Oct-12 17:59:51

Lancelottie, does it have a name?

Lancelottie Mon 29-Oct-12 13:46:41

It's called (for historical, child-disagreement reasons) Princess Paddy.

It's the least princessy creature you ever saw, being brown, tatty and rather squished-looking, but beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder.

Lancelottie Mon 29-Oct-12 13:47:41

So in answer to the OP, I suppose it was indeed a popular and well-loved present. Sigh.

safflower Mon 29-Oct-12 13:50:33

i think it would be a lovely present. You are talking about the lovely wooden ones and not some great plastic monstrosity though?

Floralnomad Mon 29-Oct-12 13:53:37

I suppose it depends on what type of rocking horse it is i.e big ,small,furry or wooden .princess Paddy sounds delightful , we have an old push along dog ( push along Bob ) at home , I can't remember either of my DCs playing with it but its not allowed to leave .

Zwitterion Mon 29-Oct-12 18:25:33

My parents have one in their hall for the DCs <poncetastic>. It gets used a lot. Currently called Sir Lancelot which they are very impressed with don't tell them it's just from Mike The Knight

halloweeneyqueeney Mon 29-Oct-12 19:07:15

it comes down to how much it fits into your decor OP, because a gift like this you cant use for a bit then get rid of, its the kinda thing the giver will notice if it suddenly disappears

its a bit of a commitment!

wheredidiputit Mon 29-Oct-12 19:46:10

I would say yes.

But then I'm 43 and still complain that my parents didn't buy me the one I saw being made when was about 5.

wheredidiputit Mon 29-Oct-12 19:48:09

Oh and when we/I win the lottery and buy my big house in Cornwall then I buying a rocking horse for DC whether they want one or not.

Chubfuddler Mon 29-Oct-12 19:50:46

We spent a fortune on one earlier this year but the children love it as do I it's mine really.

If you want the real McCoy we got it from Stevenson Brothers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now