Talk

Advanced search

Elf on the shelf - a few questions from an elf virgin

(19 Posts)
MamaPizza Sat 27-Oct-12 21:06:58

Our elf has arrived! I'm just not sure on a few things, hopefully someone can tell me how it should be done.

So, when the elf arrives, you obviously open the parcel with the child (will probably have a wrapped parcel by the fireplace on the 1st which is a Saturday, yay!). Then you read the book and find a name. What then? Do I just put him on a shelf for his first day? Is the child allowed to touch him before the elf goes up?

I have seen some great things on what mischief and fun things the elf can get up to. One thing that I really like to do is the tea party with some of the child's toys. But - this would be on the floor. How on earth do I stop DS from touching him? Will this no touching rule really work after reading the book? What if the dog knocks him over and I have to put him back? Are adults allowed to touch him?

How do you say bye to them? Is the child allowed to cuddle the elf on the last night to say goodbye?

Anything else I should know?

MrsShrek3 Sat 27-Oct-12 21:22:41

Oooh, this sounds lovely! (have heard the name but not what it's about!)
<pulls up seat>

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 27-Oct-12 21:41:44

I haven't got a bona-fida EotS but I made one a couple of years back. (I bought an A-Team doll last year -Hannibal- £5 in the Entertainer) dressed them in green felt/red felt Elf clothes.- made by me.

We hide ours round the house for the DC to find. Once the DC are on their school holidays the hiding places get more difficult.
(My DC are 10 & 13 so they 'go along with it' ) grin

You write in your Elf Diary where he was hiding. And if the DC have been good.
You can get your Elf to do naughty things (like spilling cereal, or raiding the sweet jar).

On Christmas Eve he disapperars to The North Pole to report/grass up your DC.

When my DS was 3 yo I did a 'sleeping elf' in the playhouse. We sneaked out on Christmas Eve with a candle lamp to look. DS was very excited to see the Elf (well it was dark and he was 3YO) blush.

MamaPizza Sun 28-Oct-12 19:47:42

MrsShrek - here it is grin

Thanks, 70. I know about all the stuff and how to work it for various days, but what about the first day and the no touching rule?

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Sun 28-Oct-12 19:57:08

Our elf arrives on the 1st with the advent calenders- not wrapped, he sits in his Elf home (a shoe box no lid) for the day!

Every morning ds is allowed to pick him upm from wherever he has taken himself and pop him back in his box. Afetr that he is untouchable until the next morning!

Adults never touch the elf!

A goodbye cuddle before we put out Santas wine wink and this cuddle alerts Santa that we are all ready for him to visit!

MamaPizza Sun 28-Oct-12 20:07:12

But but but ... the elf will lose his magic if your DS touches him shock wink

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Sun 28-Oct-12 20:23:36

Btw I didn't use the book that came with him, seemed abit odd in places hmm

Mr Elf (original hmm ) comes with a handwritten note explaining the rules.

pigleychez Sun 28-Oct-12 22:19:32

Our elf isnt allowed to be touched by the DC.

He arrives on the day we put the decs up ( when he comes down from the Xmas decs box in the loft). Signals the beginning of xmas and is usually the first weekend of December. After arriving he sits on the shelf/fireplace and supervises the tree going up.

If elf has been up to something naughty and is found somewhere where the DC can easily get to him or hes in the way then and ADULT only is allowed to move him to sit on the fireplace etc for hi to carry on his watching duties.

Saying goodbye- On Christmas eve morning Elf left some cookies and a note saying how much he had enjoyed being their elf and how he didn't need his magic tonight as Santa would collect him when he came to deliver the presents and he would return to the north pole on Santa's sleigh.
The Girls were allowed to give elf and goodbye kiss and hug before going to bed.

Cant wait for him to arrive again this year! smile

simpson Sun 28-Oct-12 22:25:10

I did this last year and the kids loved it!!

They are also not allowed to touch the elf.

Elf arrives on 1st with the Advent calendars and then every morning is found in a different place doing " naughty" things ie hanging off the curtains, playing with the DS, drawing on the etch a sketch etc etc...

The kids write a little message to him and her writes back.

Then on Xmas Eve he goes to " help Santa" and the kids say goodbye and draw/write a little note etc etc.

Our Elf is called Bernard for so reason grin

I didn't buy an official Elf on the Shelf but a hand knitted one off eBay and just bought an Xmasy notebook and do it myself (my cheaper)...

simpson Sun 28-Oct-12 22:26:15

Oops much cheaper!!!

WhatWouldWitchesDo Sun 28-Oct-12 23:19:48

Regarding the touching, maybe you could get special gloves, and the elf is only allowed to be handled with these gloves, and once a day only?

WhatWouldWitchesDo Mon 29-Oct-12 00:06:35

Cute letter if they do touch the elf: pinterest.com/pin/78953799688823740/. smile

flyoverthegoldenhill Mon 29-Oct-12 14:05:59

I want an Elf, I'm just popping over to Ravelry to see if I can knit one - or do I need 2, one for each child ?

MamaPizza Tue 30-Oct-12 07:52:15

Thanks so much for all the info. I so can't wait now. Can I start in November? No? wink

Huffpot Wed 31-Oct-12 07:41:09

We are starting this for the first time with DC aged 2 and 3 and are very excited.

Did you find an elf pattern flyoverthegoldenhill?

buzzgirly Wed 31-Oct-12 07:55:57

We only started this last year, dd was 3 and didn't let her touch the elf. We will do the same ths year as if dd gets her hands on elf he will get a bath, make up put on or will be "losted" as she puts it!

Our elf will be arriving on 1st December with advent calendars, christmas books and the Elf on the Shelf film on DVD - I was very excited to find it being sold in the UK!

Our elf didn't get up to much mischief last year, as dd was so young - think that will change this year. I have scouring pinterest for ideas.

Greythorne Wed 31-Oct-12 08:21:12

I am keen to start the tradition, but probably won't buy the book set on Amazon as it is £££! is thee any compelling reason to buy the "real" Elf rather than one on eBay for 8 quid?

Many people seem to find the book that accompanies the "real" elf very syrupy.....

But I need to know why he can't be touched. It seems a bit pointless....I getbthat his magic will go if he is touched, but actually, I prefer the idea that only children can touch him, as he is their friend, and that adults can't touch him. But maybe I am missing something and need to buy the book!

MamaPizza Wed 31-Oct-12 08:47:33

Buzzgirly I have also pre-ordered the DVD already. He will bring it with him on his arrival.

DS would be the same if he was allowed to touch him. That poor elf would be eaten by dinosaurs, taken on a ride on the fire engine, stuffed with rubbish food etc.. He is supposed to stay clean and last wink

pigleychez Wed 31-Oct-12 13:20:15

Greythorne- Ultimately if you want your elf to be only touched by children then make that your rule. Just adapt it to sort your family. Theres nothing set in stone to say you have to stick to the no touching rule.

I think the idea of the children not touching is so that he holds that 'Magic' over them. I know my children would get bored of him quickly of they could just play with him. He would lose his 'magic' for want of a better word!

The book isnt as good as I thought it was going to be, so not sure we will use it again this year.
DD's love the elf though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now