Talk

Advanced search

Bottles for homemade vodka - plus recipes

(8 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Fri 26-Oct-12 16:43:36

Pretty please!!!

4forkssake Fri 26-Oct-12 17:17:31

You can use the bottles the vodka comes in (just empty a small amount out so you can put stuff in). You could give them as presents on the original bottle or get Kilner type bottles (500ml or 250ml) from amazon/eBay & other places & Lakeland do a 6 pack of presentation bottles (100ml bottles) which are a great size if you're making a few flavours to give the same person.

As for flavours, there's loads if you search for recipes. You can add sweets like skittles, black jacks, cola cubes, werthers toffees, mints, most hard sweets will work. Just shove them in the bottle of vodka & keep shaking for week or so. Some sweets form a scum on the top of the vodka so you'll need to filter into another bottle to give as presents. Just get a coffee filter (or muslin or piece of kitchen roll in a sieve) & filter til all the scum has gone.

For more natural fruit flavours, you just add the fruit (eg cranberries - prick each cranberry first to release flavour), plums, berries, add to vodka with sugar (you'll need to find recipe to get quantities) & keep shaking every day. If you want to make fruit ones for Christmas, you might have to start soon so the flavours can develop whereas the sweet ones don't need as much time.

You could even make a chilli flavoured or limoncello.

Have fun grin

Teddimac Fri 26-Oct-12 22:01:20

I used these last year and split a litre bottle of vodka between two. I used glass jars to do the messy bit of putting the sweets in, then filtered/funnelled them into the bottles when they were ready. My favourite was one with rhubarb and custard sweets - I bashed a bagful of them up before chucking them in the jar, didn't take long to dissolve - great flavour with a real kick to it and a nice clear, red colour. I also did one with Werther's originals which tasted great, but didn't look so pretty as even after filtering into the bottle it settled a bit and needed a good shake before serving.

Fancy trying some skittles this year, mmm smile

BelinaTheChicken Sat 27-Oct-12 11:25:43

M&S does really nice fancy soda that comes in flip top bottles, normally on 2 for £6. I've been having it as a treat and saving the bottles, works out cheaper than buying empties, and at least you get to drink it.

Teddimac rubharb and custard sounds amazing, think I might do that for my sister. I've got some skittles vodka brewing as we speak, it looks really pretty, but think I need to put more skittles. I'm struggling to find tiny bottles, as I used a litre bottle and seperated it into the five colours, started a thread in chat, and someone suggested mini screw top wine bottles, could ask at pubs and restaurants.

Teddimac Sat 27-Oct-12 11:44:38

OP, was browsing through the Christmas topic last night and if you look a page or two down there's a good thread with lots of different recipe ideas and blog links...

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 27-Oct-12 18:08:20

Thank you everyone.

Have some ideas now.

Ambi Sat 27-Oct-12 18:15:54

I'm doing vanilla vodka this year (add a vanilla pod) along with lemon/lime gin and xmas pud rum.
I bought 25x 250ml bottles for less than £8 (+ p&p) from www.jcbonline.com

Ambi Sat 27-Oct-12 18:18:19

Try again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now