Talk

Advanced search

Do your children have roughly the same amount of presents for christmas?

(19 Posts)
Marne Thu 25-Oct-12 13:52:48

Just finished my shopping for dd2 (6) and have got a little carried away, troule is dd1 (8) has hardly anything on her list and wants something that costs the same as all dd2's presents put together, so dd2 will be getting.

Paper Jamz guatar and drum
moshi monster hq
moshi monster home
duplo zoo (bought this amd the moshi stuff on 3 for 2 at tesco today)
Hello Kitty playdough
Hello Kitty cool cardz
Hello kitty toadstool (all hello kitty bought half price)
Mr men scooter (from e-bay cheap)

Have spent around £70-£80 on dd2.

Dd1 wants
Nintendo wii (2nd hand)
Skylanders giants
Harry potter book

This comes to over £100, i have bought her a couple small things but nothing much so will probably come to closer to £150.

They dont really get gifts from anyone else, they have cash from their grandad to spend in the sales.

I'm worried that dd2 will have a huge pile (she will love all of it though and it will all get played with) and dd1 wont have much (but other than what she has asked for she doesn't realy play with much).

Do you try and make it the same amount for each child or do you explain that its quality not quantity?

Pancakeflipper Thu 25-Oct-12 13:57:05

I try to spend similar amounts. If not I add the extra onto their birthday.

If DS1 was to have 1 expensive pressie I would probably buy stuff that he needed and I would have to buy anyway and wrap them up.

Inneedofbrandy Thu 25-Oct-12 13:59:27

I spend similar amounts on presents and try have the exact number each. With things like a wii I would of gave it as a joint present and bulked the others out with things she liked, even of they weren't toys.

Naghoul Thu 25-Oct-12 14:00:03

the 8YO is old enough to understand the value though, isnt she? I would bulk it out with cheap stuff, like socks or chocolate or whatever, so it wasn't very very obvious.

if she gets a shit on tell her to be better behaved for Santa next year

wink

Marne Thu 25-Oct-12 14:05:03

I have explained to her thay a wii and skylanders is quite expensive, she still believes in father x-mas but thinks that we give him the money for presents. She says she doesn't want anything else but i'm worried she will be dissapointed and think we love dd2 more when she see's how much dd2 has. Both dd's have ASD so are very competitive (dd1 will compare size, weight or a cube of chocolate if i give them a cube each) grin

There are a few things i can get her that she needs to bulk it out a but and i'm sure i can find a few igger cheap things to make her pile look bigger but i hate buying her things that will never get used. Last year she had a lot and wasn't interested in most of it (would rather talk to her friends online than play with her new toys).

RedZombie Thu 25-Oct-12 14:06:08

Yes, I've got DTs who notice this sort of stuff.

parsnipcake Thu 25-Oct-12 14:11:05

I tend to wrap up dressing gowns, cheap fluffy cushions etc to bulk up the pile if someone's looks smaller. Inflateable toys are good for this too. You could put one of her smaller expensive presents in a huge box full of popcorn or similar. I know kids have to learn about fairness etc, but everyone lives a huge pile of pressies!

Inneedofbrandy Thu 25-Oct-12 14:12:59

You don't need to buy tat that won't get Played with. What about socks gloves a new coat or boots or wellies, art stuff or you could go and spend £10 in the pound shop for 10 extra presents.

Inneedofbrandy Thu 25-Oct-12 14:14:22

Oh good idea inflatable chair already blown up, there about a tenner.

armani Thu 25-Oct-12 14:16:26

What about a few board games or jigsaws? They often come in bulky boxes and can be picked up quite cheaply.

mumnosbest Thu 25-Oct-12 14:17:07

No but i do spend the same on the 1st 2 dcs. Dc3 is still a baby so shes getting a few gifts but not as much. She wont appreciate/need or know any better yet.

HGAFC Thu 25-Oct-12 14:30:57

Could you scour CEX eBay and car boot sales for extra Wii games or accessories on the cheap?

derekthehamster Thu 25-Oct-12 14:34:43

They must have the same number of present, as we take it in turns to open them!

However, this sometimes means that one child gets 2 books (for example) wrapped as 1 present grin

Generally, they have 1 main present, then very similar presents, ie they'll each have a jumper, dvd, 3 books, calender, stationery etc

LadyLetch Thu 25-Oct-12 17:23:59

Yes, like the previous poster, the children take turns opening their presents (and it literally takes all day) so I ensure an equal number of presents, but I pay no attention whatsoever to the cost. This comes from my childhood where we were always taught that so long as you get what you want for Christmas, then it doesn't matter what anyone else gets. So one year I might spend more on the eldest, and the next year the youngest. I think it all evens out in the wash. DDs are like this too and never compare costs, but that's just the way they're brought up.

They do both get a huge pile of presents and this will include essential stuff they get anyway, but wrapped up to make their stash bigger (so socks, pants, vests, tights, dressing gowns, slippers etc...) a ton of chocolate that fills the tin and keeps them going until Easter and things for their room, arts and crafts etc... It doesn't have to cost a lot.

rhondajean Thu 25-Oct-12 17:58:37

I've always taken a slightly different view. There are five years between my two so they do tend to want very different things, and I don't really compare cost or volume (though I always overdo it with the wee bits and pieces anyway). I tend to focus on what they both want, need and will use rather rbs buying stuff to make one lot up money or present wise. I've found that neither have been disappointed so far because they are so happy they have the things they wanted they don't mind the other one having a bigger pile (and even at 8 and 12 they don't really get the cost thing).

insanityscratching Thu 25-Oct-12 18:18:20

No dd is 9 and likes quantity,my others are teens and older so there is no competition in terms of who got the most. Dd assumes she is our favourite as she gets the biggest pile of parcels and her siblings are happy enough to let her believe this.They buy for her as well and are very generous with her whereas they don't buy each other anything. Dd is very treasured and possibly very spoilt tbh blush

Marne Thu 25-Oct-12 19:55:23

Love the inflatable chair idea grin also she would probably be happy with a helium balloon in a box.

I am buying a few extra skylanders when they pop up on Amazon for £5 each, also she loves reading so will try and buy her a few books, dressing gown, pj's and maybe some DVD's and games from CEX.

I will probably buy more for dd2 too (as cant stop myself), just told dh that i had finished dd2's presents and he laughed at me as he knows if i see a bargain i will end up buying more. Will try and control myself.

This is our first christmas at home with no family so i want enough to keep them busy (opening) all day. They like to open one at a time and play with them before opening the next, usualy we have to rush the opening gifts before we drive to see my family.

parsnipcake Thu 25-Oct-12 21:15:05

I have to keep mine busy so I usually buy a remote controlled car or wind up toy each for races, or nerf guns. Sometimes I do a chocolate coin hunt in the garden. I tell them there are a hundred coins but I only hide about 80. Keeps them busy!

Marne Thu 25-Oct-12 21:17:47

Dd1 wants a nurf gun (keeps asking for one), i got her one last year but apparently it wasnt big enough sad, trouble is the dog is petrified of them (hides and shakes), i guess i could send dh outside with them (get them out of my way whilst i cook). Love the coin idea to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now