Talk

Advanced search

Real-feel artificial trees-anyone got one?help me decide which to get before I go crazy --they sell out--

(8 Posts)
Rosvita Tue 23-Oct-12 22:26:24

After falling in love with my friend's gorgeous 6ft Bayberry Spruce artificial tree www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk/product/6ft-bayberry-spruce-feel-real-artificial-christmas-tree last Christmas - thought it was real until I got up close - I have decided I want to buy a 'feel-real'(have polyurethene moulded (from real branches) tips) Christmas tree this year, however can't decide which to go for. (The issue with this one is it's £139.99, which is a bit more than I was willing to pay. Also slightly concerned on how wide the tree is (48 inches), as we only live in a regular 3 bed end of terrace house with a modest living room.

I looked in our local garden centres and they all had pretty poor offerings so I am resolved to getting one online with the disadvantage of not being able to see it in person first. I've narrowed it down to:
www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk/product/6ft-mountain-river-spruce-feel-real-artificial-christmas-tree Great price (just under £90 including delivery), right size (6ft), not as wide as the Bayberry which is good but has less 'tips' than the Bayberry and I've not seen it in person.

www.charliesdirect.co.uk/products/bayberry-spruce-feel-real-artificial-christmas-tree-5-5ft Perfect in every way - a Bayberry, not too wide, good price etc but is 5ft5 going to be too short???

www.charliesdirect.co.uk/products/bayberry-spruce-feel-real-artificial-christmas-tree-6-5ft Great price and a Bayberry (cheaper than the 6ft on the other site) but is it going to be too big?

Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm going round and round in circles in my head but I can't seem to make a decision I'm happy with and need to make it soon before they start selling out

Rosvita Tue 23-Oct-12 22:29:09

how embarrassing major strikethrough fail (new to site-sorry) can't even figure out how to dot he smileys?!

follyfoot Tue 23-Oct-12 22:38:52

I had to laugh reading your post (sorry) because I'm just like you, ending up with a shortlist to chose from and getting in a right tangle trying to decide - one of the disadvantages of the choice on the internet I suppose.

I'd go for the cheaper 6 ft one. Its got 11 less tips than the expensive 6ft one and you really arent going to notice that in amongst 1000 others are you? Its the right height, which is really important, and its a couple of inches narrower. If you dont like it, you can always send it back as long as you pay the delivery.

Rosvita Tue 23-Oct-12 22:56:43

Thanks for your reply follyfoot-thanks for taking the time to look at all the options!i know I'm a nightmare when it comes to making any type of purchasing decision.i'm that person who buys something,changes their mind returns it then repurchases at a later date for more money etc! Today I was telling my friend about the Christmas tree decision with my tape measure out and web pages up when the garden centre rang (returning my call asking tree advice at the weekend) and she couldn't believe it!i was swaying towards the 6ft

Rosvita Tue 23-Oct-12 22:58:50

Thanks for your reply follyfoot-thanks for taking the time to look at all the options!i know I'm a nightmare when it comes to making any type of purchasing decision.i'm that person who buys something,changes their mind returns it then repurchases at a later date for more money etc! Today I was telling my friend about the Christmas tree decision with my tape measure out and web pages up when the garden centre rang (returning my call asking tree advice at the weekend) and she couldn't believe it!i was swaying towards the cheaper 6ft one-just don't want to regret my decision but can't justify £150 (once you include delivery) on a Christmas tree.thanks for your opinion.

Rosvita Tue 23-Oct-12 23:00:04

Sorry don't know what happened with my post-new to the site and posting on new phone.

girlywhirly Wed 24-Oct-12 09:14:23

I think it's between the 5.5ft Bayberry and the 6ft Mountain River spruce.

If it helps, I have a Dunhill fir (not a real feel, but quite bristly 'needles') which is 5.5ft. This means realistically that there are only 6ins between that and a 6ft one, easily made to look a bit taller with a tree topper on. Also you clamp the 'trunk' into the stand and can add a couple of inches or so by not inserting the trunk right down into the stand before you clamp it in position. This doesn't affect the stability of the tree in any way, our cat used to climb ours and it never over balanced because the stand is very sturdy. There is a Dunhill fir on the Charliesdirect website so that you can see what it looks like.

Am I right in thinking that the Bayberry is made by National Tree Company, if so mine is too and I can recommend their excellent quality. (They are American, they do Christmas trees amazingly well) This year will be my trees' 10th outing and it always looks good, I've never regretted buying it and regard it as an investment for future years enjoyment! This is how you can justify the cost.

Good luck with your decision, it will look gorgeous whichever model you choose, especially when decorated.

Rosvita Wed 24-Oct-12 12:51:24

Hi Girlywhirly, thanks for your reply,

Yes it is made the National Tree Company, which I know are brilliant quality. May phone up and find out who manufactures the Mountain Spruce, don't think they're made by National Tree Company though. Still umming and ahhing between the 2 - shame the 6ft Bayberry is £50 more expensive-just can't afford/justify spending that much. Thanks for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now