Talk

Advanced search

Things for dd to 'open' at Christmas if she is moving to Australia in January.

(18 Posts)
lilibet Tue 23-Oct-12 13:08:47

Pretty self explanatory really - we are buying her visa and giving her some cash, but I'd like ideas of things for her to open when me, dh and her brothers are opening our presents. She is selling loads of stuff on Ebay to fund her trip so I'm stumped and need some good ideas so that she won't be left out Chirstmas morning.

Oh it's her birthday on the 14th December as well ! (bad planing on my behalf there!)

ImperialBlether Tue 23-Oct-12 13:12:33

Well the obvious thing is something for her journey and something for when she first arrives.

Does she have a Kindle? If that's too expensive, then books for the journey? A diary? A travel set of cleanser, toner and moisturiser? Lovely soft socks? A swimsuit if she's going to be near the coast.

What about a travel bag?

It's such an exciting time for her. When will you visit her? Whereabouts is she going?

Frostyfoxy Tue 23-Oct-12 17:21:39

How about a little note book or diary for her to keep about her new home? Is there anyway you could find out about restaurants nearby to where she is moving too and get vouchers or something like that?

Will keep thinking!

Fluffyfish Tue 23-Oct-12 19:42:55

Is she moving there or going to backpack? If moving how about some nice jewellery?

lisad123 Tue 23-Oct-12 19:44:54

Bug cream, camera, money, bum bag, any sort of joke travel stuff grin

aroomofherown Tue 23-Oct-12 19:47:13

Swimmers
Sunglasses
Cute summer cotton top/skirt
Bracelet or necklace so she is reminded of you every time she sees them wink
Handbag
Ipod if she hasn't got one
50+
Maglite

gregssausageroll Tue 23-Oct-12 19:48:09

iTunes vouchers, currency, Kindle if she reads loaded with books. Books in Australia are very expensive.

MerylStrop Tue 23-Oct-12 19:49:53

return ticket for next Christmas?

aroomofherown Tue 23-Oct-12 19:50:29

Travel adaptor
A small wallet to keep her leftover UK currency in

Earl Grey
Cadbury chocolate
Marmite

A Kindle is a good idea.

Lovely scarf and fluffy socks for the plane and some tiny pots of moisturiser, lip balm etc. I had a tiny sample of a REN eye gel last time I flew and it came in really handy.

lilibet Wed 24-Oct-12 12:44:48

oooh lots of answers, thank you.

She has a kindle and an i pod and is living near Canberra for 10 months then travelling and then coming home, so its a bit of a mixed trip.

Electrical adaptors and toiletries for the flight are brilliant ideas. She has far too many clothes and is selling them on ebay, so I think any clothes are out.

I had thought about vouchers but I can't find anything near where they are going to be.

Does anyone know if a Starbucks voucher bought in England can be used in Kuala Lumpa airport?

BlueChampagne Wed 24-Oct-12 12:53:35

Rough Guide to Oz or similar?
Sun cream & sun hat

DorisIsWaiting Wed 24-Oct-12 14:07:22

exeperiences voucher for stuff to do in Oz, maybe some mn down under would be able to recomend companies.

Or beauty vouchers etc for a good hair cut whilst she is down under?

DorisIsWaiting Wed 24-Oct-12 14:08:03

or theatre concert tickets ...

gregssausageroll Wed 24-Oct-12 17:07:32

How about tickets to do the bridge climb - will she be in sydney?

Good hair cut and Australia don't go. Never did find a good hairdresser in my time there!

1stMrsF Wed 24-Oct-12 19:24:23

Amazon voucher to top up Kindle

lilibet Sun 28-Oct-12 16:01:47

Bridge climb tickets!!

Aaaaarggghhhhh - I'm that height phobic I can't cross a motorway bridge! Oh lordy, I would never sleep.

If she did it and told me after that would be ok :-)

gregssausageroll Sun 28-Oct-12 16:07:22

I have a massive fear of heights. I can look out of a height but not down on one. I got up the bridge just about ok. I was so distressed coming down they were very concerned about me. They have a quick exit to get people off which is a secret so I believe. I managed to pull myself together and did it. Was seen by a dr at the end as I was in such a state but one of my biggest achievements is bridge climb. It took everything I had that day. Still scared though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now