Talk

Advanced search

Elf ideas

(24 Posts)
mummy1986 Mon 22-Oct-12 13:53:19

I've just brought my two girls the elf on a shelf to arrive at our house on 1st Dec.
what kinds of things did your elf do,I've read its fun to get him up to mischief!
my dp thinks am bonkers but i want to start our own xmas traditions now the kids are older.
any ideas for the elf world be greatly received!
thanks x

loubielou31 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:44:28

There was a lady on here made a blog of the things her elf had been up to. It was linked to on a previous thread which I now can't find. Her elf was found sitting on the loo in the dolls house one morning.
My cousins elf "decorated" the Christmas tree with the knickers from her dds drawer.
I think my elf might turn up with a copy of the snowman or other festive DVD to watch along with the makings for hot chocolate. He might also bring a gingerbread house kit (If Lidl/Aldi get them in this year).

pigleychez Mon 22-Oct-12 14:44:56

Check out pinterest. Zillions of ideas on there.

We did it last year and the girls (and me!) loved it.
elfyescapades.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/elf-on-shelf.html - Elf's blog smile

pigleychez Mon 22-Oct-12 14:46:11

Loubielou

That would of been my cheeky little elf! grin

mummy1986 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:49:51

Oh thanks alot, that blog is brilliant!!
Really good ideas!
How does your elves turn up? I was thinking ringing the doorbell, and the elf sitting on the step with the letter etc?

Onadietcolabreak Mon 22-Oct-12 18:09:13

Thanks Pigley, great ideas smile
So looking forward to our first year of Elf mischief grin
I'm planing on our Elf bringing a Christmas book or DVD just before bed each night.

pookamoo Mon 22-Oct-12 18:11:58

How old are your DCs, Elf ladies?

DD1 will be just 4, do you think that's too young? I would love to have an elf for advent, but maybe I should wait until next year.

reastie Mon 22-Oct-12 18:21:45

pook DD here is currently 19 MO and I'll be forcing doing EOTS with her from this year I can't wait

glitch Mon 22-Oct-12 18:45:44

Ooooh, Elf talk grin
Ours arrived carrying the advent calendar last year.
He did assorted things; decorating the tree with pants went down well, as did wrapping the telly in loo roll and colouring the bath with bath crayons.
He also had a wee in the loo (turning it green or blue), played snowballs with chocolate snowballs, zip wired across the sitting room, rode on a reindeer, I can't remember them all but I pinched most of them from assorted blogs and web sites.
I need some new ideas for this year I think.

glitch Mon 22-Oct-12 18:46:35

Sorry, I do get a bit too excited about the elf I think blush

pigleychez Mon 22-Oct-12 19:05:41

pook
My DD's this year are 4 and 2.5.
Loved it last year when they were obviously younger. Really looking forward to this year as they will be so more into it... plus I can come up with more elaborate things for Elf to do! grin

Ours arrives down the chimney on the day we put the decorations up.(beginning of dec) His arrival means the start of xmas smile Last year he came in his box all wrapped with brown paper like a parcel. Not quite sure how to do it this year.

I will be continuing the Blog of Elf's antics this year (Think im the biggest kid!) and have been plotting what he will do this year.
Ideas are
Making DD's school lunch with lots of silly foods
Riding dinosaurs
Indoor zipwire
Bring a colouring challenge
Raiding my purse
Baking cookies for the girls
Crepe papering up the doorway.
Bringing a gingerbread house to make.

MildlyMonica Mon 22-Oct-12 19:36:31

loving the thread - marking for later. will be our first year. soooo excited.

mummy1986 Tue 23-Oct-12 10:02:57

Mine are nearly 5 and 18 months.
I have read somewhere that Santa sent the children a letter the week before asking them to watch out for a special guest that he is sending to keep an eye on them during december!
I love this idea! Will be keeping an eye out for more ideas and update you all smile

bloodybuilder Tue 23-Oct-12 10:16:17

We did it last year- so much fun!

Green food colouring down loo- elf took a pee!
Found upside down in a biscuit barrel
Hanging from Xmas tree

We used a Ben elf from Ben and holly last year as they had never watched it. Where can I buy a more realistic elf on the shelf?

mummy1986 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:30:41

blossombunkhouse.com/2011/11/08/101-elf-on-the-shelf-ideas-2

101 things to do with your Elf!

pookamoo Tue 23-Oct-12 18:38:46

I have heard a good one where the Elf arrives with a knock on the door and Christmas PJs on the doorstep.

Might look into it for this year then! Exciting!

pookamoo Tue 23-Oct-12 18:41:58

Does anyone know if they are cheaper to buy in the States? I could get one sent over from family, they are £28 on Amazon.

I could just make an elf, I guess.

reastie Tue 23-Oct-12 18:41:58

Our elf is arriving at the front door with a tea light lantern next to him to help him find the way and a christmas book and some christmas pjs and maybe some christmas chocolate - I can't wait grin

Onadietcolabreak Tue 23-Oct-12 22:36:17

Pook I have 20 mnth old, 5 year old and 12 year old. I think 4 is the perfect age! I think all mine inc 20 mnth old are going to love it!

Does any one know anything about the passport and letters some people have mentioned on other threads?

Can't wait untill the 1st December! i'm stuck in bed sick all day at the moment, so planning and stocking making aplenty grin

WhatWouldWitchesDo Tue 23-Oct-12 22:49:02

Here's my elf thread on Pinterest: pinterest.com/AMaverickMother/elfyescapades/, it has links for passports and various letters, you just have to scroll a fair bit! smile

pookamoo Wed 24-Oct-12 01:03:04

I started sewing our elf this evening. Very excited! Will have a look at whatwouldwitchesdo's link.

Will need a name for the elf - DD1 calls everything "Ellie" at the moment. Nice name but maybe something a bit more Christmassy would be appropriate grin. Could start a thread in baby names!

AllOverIt Wed 24-Oct-12 04:17:56

The Book Depository has it for £23.99. I got mine from here a couple of weeks ago for £17 smile

Onadietcolabreak Mon 29-Oct-12 16:57:27

WwWitches yours if officially the best Elf pin board I have seen grin thanks!

WhatWouldWitchesDo Mon 29-Oct-12 18:49:48

dietcoke, thanks! grin
I am getting very excited for Christmas, and Elf On The Shelf. My son is only just two so hopefully I'll have at least six more years of him believing, and hopefully a younger sibling too, so need years' worth of ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now