Talk

Advanced search

what is everyone getting there sisters/brothers/sil/bil

(30 Posts)
littlemoon14 Mon 22-Oct-12 11:18:48

really struggling what to get sil and bil. any suggestions. thanks

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 22-Oct-12 11:38:08

What about a voucher for a restaurant or cinema? If you want a more physical present you could buy a new release dvd and and package it with popcorn and treats for a nice winter night in.

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Mon 22-Oct-12 11:54:57

We got BIL a 'poo book' picked by DP, it's the Haynes manual for the Millennium Falcon. According to DP all men like getting new 'poo books' at christmas. Apparently a successful 'poo book' is something you can pick up, flick to any page, read for twenty minutes, then put down. It is also helpful if it has 'interesting facts' that can shouted to your significant other throughout the poo.

I live with the world's most uncouth individual.

CMOTDibbler Mon 22-Oct-12 12:06:25

bil1 - wine, bil2 - something from Machine Mart, sil1 - off her Amazon wishlist, my brother - nothing, his wife - nothing.

No change there really !

The Millenium Falcon manual is ace though

craftynclothy Mon 22-Oct-12 12:12:21

My sister is getting a selection of spice packs from The Spicery. Her husband is getting a shower gel/deoderant type of gift set from Boots.

Dh has got his brother and his brother's wife a nando's gift set from Boots and will get something else to go with it - probably vouchers for somewhere.

wheredidiputit Mon 22-Oct-12 12:32:46

We get my sister and BIL for the theatre ticket vouchers which they can use a most theaters.

My brother and SIL amazon gift vouchers. We don't buy for DH brother and sister as we buy for their children.

DoubleMum Mon 22-Oct-12 12:34:12

Making them a hamper. Whether they like it or not.

CiderwithBuda Mon 22-Oct-12 12:38:56

Nothing. We gave up buying presents for the adults years ago. Huge relief!

CaseyShraeger Mon 22-Oct-12 12:42:08

I'm getting my sister a set of swappable lenses for her camera phone that lets her switch in a telephoto or wide-angle lens.

I'm getting my brother a couple of films on DVD that I'm pretty sure he'll like but I know he hasn't seen yet.

I'm getting my BIL a couple of books that fit in well with what he likes to read but I know he hasn't read yet.

I have no idea what I'm getting my SIL, or my other brother (probably a bottle of something).

CaseyShraeger Mon 22-Oct-12 12:47:16

Oh, and on DH's side we're getting SIL1 either Claire Balding new book or Caitlin Moran's Mor anthology. Waiting for William Hill Sports Book of the Year shortlist to be announced next week and will get BIL2 something from that. No idea for SIL2 or BIL1.

DorisIsWaiting Mon 22-Oct-12 13:00:34

Another getting nothing - to reduce costs we don't buy for adults (except parents) we buy for dn and dn instead.

amillionyears Mon 22-Oct-12 13:06:33

We did used to exchange small list ideas,but have all given up on it all since.

HarderToKidnap Mon 22-Oct-12 13:20:08

Brother - cinema tickets to the local Everyman cinema, they do the sitting on sofas and bringing you beer thing.
SIL - new book and 1st series of 30 Rock on DVD

I don't think you can go wrong with boxsets really.

TennisFan42 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:42:51

Sister - a knit your own owl kit as she liked James' owl on the Great British Bakeoff and she likes making stuff. Plus a couple of books.

SIL - a make your own cheese kit and a book.

BIL - Carcassonne which is a board game that was recommended by a friend. You can get expansion packs for it and, as he's almost impossible to buy for, I'm hoping that may make future presents easier.

oreocrumbs Mon 22-Oct-12 15:56:25

Have got my brother a filofax, SILs Molton brown stuff (see bargain christmas thread), no idea for BIL, probaby smellies of some description.

Might get SIL and BIL a voucher for a meal out too.

ZeldaUpNorth Mon 22-Oct-12 16:20:03

I'm after a light up christmas jumper for my brother if anyone knows where i can get one for under £20? Even second-hand or handmade. (yes he actually asked for one!hmm)

littlemoon14 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:26:08

ZeldaUpNorth - try ebay for the jumper i seen some there.

FedUpOfRain Mon 22-Oct-12 17:38:02

I'm making my sister a hamper with beauty/bath/relaxation bits. She's had a long year and been really good to me so I want to do something nice. So far I have bought a Chanel red nail varnish and some handmade soaps.
BIL I have no clue, maybe some foody bits and I am getting my brother a fat face jumper.
Trying to spread out the costs...

chickydoo Mon 22-Oct-12 17:39:32

Nothing.... Not buying for each other anymore.

kate2boysandabump Mon 22-Oct-12 17:41:03

Nothing, presents for children only. Saves of money and time.

Waspie Mon 22-Oct-12 17:43:02

Nothing. We have an agreement that we just buy for the children.

FloJo151 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:49:43

we've all decided this yer to go out for axmas meal (boxing day) as our 'present' and then doa secret santa between us all!

Annunziata Mon 22-Oct-12 17:52:53

Jewellery for my sisters and a jumper for each of my brothers.

orangefan Mon 22-Oct-12 17:54:18

Well DB and SIL have asked us just to buy for nephews if they just buy for dd's which suits me fine. And DS is being a pain and won't think about Christmas 'cos it's far too early and so will be getting nothing.

tak1ngchances Mon 22-Oct-12 17:56:05

Bottle of nice wine and some yummy pates and chutneys etc which I will make into a hamper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now