Talk

Advanced search

Christmas dinner

(49 Posts)
ChestyNutterStaringInTheWindow Sun 21-Oct-12 23:06:58

What veg do you have with your Christmas dinner?

I'm thinking sprouts with chestnuts and pancetta but also really like roasted parsnips?having traditional turkey, ham, roasts, pigs in blankets and stuffing.

Is two veg too much?

defineme Sun 21-Oct-12 23:09:01

We have loads of different veg-two is not enough!

AudrinaAdare Sun 21-Oct-12 23:12:49

Lovely dark green cabbage, honey-glazed carrots and parsnips at the very least. Sometimes I make parsnip puree with cream and nutmeg depending on how drunk busy I am on Christmas Eve.

OhTheConfusion Mon 22-Oct-12 00:00:57

Two veg is too few!

We have glazed carrots and parsnips, braised red cabbage, blanched savoy cabbage and the essential sprouts with panchetta.

RedGreenRouge Mon 22-Oct-12 00:03:18

Roast parsnips
Roast carrots
Boiled carrots
Fried broccoli
Boiled cabbage
Sprouts

TeamEdward Mon 22-Oct-12 00:08:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anja1cam Mon 22-Oct-12 00:17:08

Anything you like / can manage. We have at least three or 5 is you count the ones roasted with the bird - Red Cabbage (a must with goose), Broccoli, Sprouts (DD2 would not forgive me if I skipped those!), carrots and parsnips roasted with the goose. Only one type of potato though, have to draw the line somewhere!

Zorra Mon 22-Oct-12 09:59:55

Multiples of everything, especially if they can also be eaten cold / turned into something else in the next days. Always have roast potatoes and mash: sprouts, steamed green cabbage with caraway, glazed carrots, spiced red cabbage and Parmesan-coated parsnips. Red cabbage can be warmed to eat with cold cuts of meat; mash + green things = bubble and squeak. Never any roast potatoes left ;)

pumpkinsweetie Mon 22-Oct-12 10:02:09

Roast potatoes, roasted in goose fat.
Carrot & swede mashed with a knob of butter, pepper & dash salt.
Cabbage, brussels, mashed potatoes, and broccolli.

pumpkinsweetie Mon 22-Oct-12 10:02:40

And roasted parsnips

DameEnidsOrange Mon 22-Oct-12 10:04:36

Loads of stuff

Roast potatoes
roast parsnips
carrot and swede mash
red cabbage braised with apple
brussels - no one likes them but it's the law to have them obv
cauliflower cheese
peas and sweetcorn (for the toddlers)

ObiWan Mon 22-Oct-12 10:17:02

Sprouts, roast parsnips, steamed carrots, steamed carrots & parsnips mashed together, peas, finely shredded cabbage, roast potatoes.

You can never have too many vegetables at Christmas. grin

There will also be home made sage and onion stuffing (vegan version), little sausages with bacon, turkey, ham, cranberry sauce gravy etc.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Mon 22-Oct-12 10:22:55

Why would you only have two?

onemoreminute Mon 22-Oct-12 10:33:04

Why only two ? we have roasted parsnips and carrots, cauliflower cheese, brussels (done differently most years) and peas. We also have all the trimmings.

WholeLottaRosie Mon 22-Oct-12 11:09:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ghouljamaflip Mon 22-Oct-12 11:13:43

braised red cabbage
Sprouts
roast tatties
creamed celeriac
roast parsnips
carrot and parsnip mash
glazed carrots
shredded savoy cabbage

there may be some other veggies is the dc ask for them but thats the basic start list. I always do more than is needed as well just so we can have bubble and squeak on Boxing Day grin

LauraShigihara Mon 22-Oct-12 11:21:30

DD will make her amazing honey root vegetables in the oven and I will make sprouts and chestnuts.

You'll need plenty of vegetables to provide some roughage after all the meat you are serving grin

StellaNova Mon 22-Oct-12 11:25:57

Is two veg too much? grin

You need to meet my dad, the King of Vegetables. His Christmas dinners involve: sprouts, parsnips, potatoes, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, cabbage and sometimes cauliflower.

BeatTheClock Mon 22-Oct-12 11:30:01

We also have loads. Yes to braised red cabbage (freezes really well too so I'll be cooking up some soon for Christmas).

Haven't tried creamed celeriac before Ghoul, sounds very goodsmile.

jojane Mon 22-Oct-12 11:35:31

We have
Roast parsnips
Sprouts
Cabbage (for dh and ds1 who don't like sprouts)
Cauliflower cheese
Carrot and swede mash
Peas

bedmonster Mon 22-Oct-12 12:07:55

Braised red cabbage
Parmesan parsnips
Sprouts in wine with pancetta
Cauli cheese
Glazed baby carrots
Roasted onions
Something else, can't remember now.
Always loads and loads of veg!!!

shelley72 Mon 22-Oct-12 12:39:32

we have (apart from roast potatoes):
roast parsnips with maple syrup
brussel sprouts with chestnuts and pancetta
chantenay carrots
broccoli
runner beans
braised red cabbage with apple
then turkey, two stuffings (chestnut and cranberry or apricot), pigs in blankets.

so not LOADS of veg, but two veg not enough, even for a normal meal. i know someone who does 16 types of veg with their christmas lunch shock!

GroupieGirl Mon 22-Oct-12 12:45:15

Two?! Me and my partner managed ten last week for a normal roast. (Just tge two of us as well blush).

TeamEdward Mon 22-Oct-12 13:25:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Zorra Mon 22-Oct-12 14:01:26

Parmesan-baked parsnips, courtesy of Queen Delia grin They are yummy.

Am inspired by this thread to have cauliflower cheese as well. We may just get a tiny turkey at this rate, and spread the table with vegetable goodness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now