Talk

Advanced search

Art/Craft presents for DS 8

(23 Posts)
sadmum1000 Sun 21-Oct-12 20:57:57

Hi. DS8 (yr 4) loves craft but never find much for boys. He always looks on as DD5 get tons of craft presents for birthdays and begs her to share.
Any suggestions out there for older boys crafts presents? There's lots of science museum stuff but they are more about building inventions rather than arty crafty kind of things

nipitinthebud Sun 21-Oct-12 21:16:59

My DS loves crafty stuff too. Have you looked on Yellow Moon? They're pretty good for craft stuff and kits. http://www.yellowmoon.org.uk/

Hobbycraft does some good kits too - the scratch art stuff is pretty good.

Or rather than kits, how about air drying clay, Fimo stuff together with a variety of modelling tools.

sadmum1000 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:31:01

Done air drying clay thanks. And pottery of every sort. Is the scratch art stuff the thing with a black board and scalpel? have seen that in hobbycraft but couldn't work out what age it was for? Sounds good.

Marne Sun 21-Oct-12 21:33:21

Airfix models?
Painting by numbers?
Hama Beads?
Plaster model kits (if they still make them, used to love these when i was 8)?
fimo?

sadmum1000 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:46:18

What's fimo?

lljkk Sun 21-Oct-12 21:50:29

Last year I got 7yo DS one of these & he begged for another one for ages.
What about a nice Hama bead set, like this?

stealthsquiggle Sun 21-Oct-12 21:51:44

fimo is more or less air drying clay, but in cool colours.

DS (nearly 10) is now more into the Art than the Craft - he loves sets of pens, PIL bought him an easel with paints and canvas, FC will probably put a "mini masterpiece" canvas in his stocking. He now does a lot of stuff at school - stencilling, lino printing, enamelling, which would be hard to do at home, but I think 8 is old enough for the "grown up" art stuff, which would be clearly differentiated from what DD is getting.

Alternatively, look for "paper engineering" stuff, maybe? Or a gender-neutral bead loom? Or a small sewing machine?? (DS is just starting to do some stuff under supervision on my machine)

Kewcumber Sun 21-Oct-12 21:54:25

www.prezzybox.com/monster-movie-making-kit.aspx

www.prezzybox.com/johnny-joes-colouring-postcards.aspx

www.prezzybox.com/gormiti-series-2-classic-shaker-maker.aspx (you can get otehr types, star wars etc)

www.uptothemoon.com/product/paint-your-own-wooden-jet-plane/

stealthsquiggle Sun 21-Oct-12 22:18:05

Again more art than craft, but how about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drawing-Doodling-Colouring-Boys-Usborne/dp/1409539660/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350854036&sr=8-3

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1423620461/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

janji Mon 22-Oct-12 04:23:47

Look on baker Ross website; they have crafts for any theme you can think of!!

sadmum1000 Mon 22-Oct-12 12:16:02

Thanks all for your replies. I'll check all the links out.

twolittledarlings Mon 22-Oct-12 23:06:24

I got 2 boxes of Dinodig for 2 of my friends boys who are 8. It looks good. I got it from TKMaxx for £8. They also have lots of other similar stuff like digging for fossils, for gems minerals, etc. The box inside I think has a lump of soft stone and using the little hammer given and wearing plastic glasses, yu bash away at the stone to reveal a little skeleton of a dinosaur inside.

I mad also looking at woodcraft kits on Amazon for my girls. It's just sheets of precut shapes on a wooden sheet. You pop them out and connected them together to creat something like an animal, a carousel , a car, bike etc.

Amazon has a lot and the prices are quite reasonable. You can paint and varnish them afterwards. Just type in woodcraft construction kit in Amazon. Loads of boys and girls stuff there. Have not bought them before so do not know what the quality is like.

You could get paint by number stuff. There may be picture for boys to paint. I want t get a matchstick kit for my girls. You could get a large jigsaw puzzle and a portable puzzle holder for ease of convenience.

Kewcumber Mon 22-Oct-12 23:29:38

www.yellowmoon.org.uk/

Just remembered yellow moon are very good - mugs etc to paint and lots of boy suitable crafts from memory

twolittledarlings Mon 22-Oct-12 23:34:53

If you like yellow moon, go for their another company. Same stuff but slightly cheaper. That company is Bakerross.

Kewcumber Mon 22-Oct-12 23:40:00

Do they have the same stuff then? I hadn't noticed!

Hama beads have been popular with my DCs for several years, DS(8) and DD(6). They get a new grid each and a new colour of beads in their stocking each year. We get them from beadmerrily.com, sorry can't link, on phone.

omghelpmeplease Mon 22-Oct-12 23:45:27

ds had book about whittling http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1565232747 and knife
if you feel age appropriate for YOUR son , mine totally loved it and obv used it on summer camping trips the following year too!

Goneshopping Tue 23-Oct-12 03:27:59

How about this star wars paper plane kit http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0545396344/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=SL75&qid=1350959099&sr=8-1

Or sequin art http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0030GC5TK/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=SL75&qid=1350959154&sr=8-1

twolittledarlings Tue 23-Oct-12 13:41:46

I am sure that Bakerross is the same as Yellow moon as their address is the same. The only difference is the price which I think is because Yellowmoon donates a percentage to your chosen school which is really what you are donating being the increase in price.

I find Yellow Moon's website works better than Baker Ross's on my Ipad.

I looked at both last week, having not realised they were related, ordered from Yellow Moon and then was surprised to get a delivery notification from Baker Ross. Thought I must have somehow double ordered. It was only when I opened the email and the footer had both logos that I twigged.

stealthsquiggle Tue 23-Oct-12 14:12:15

Yellow Moon and Baker Ross are definitely one and the same. They tend to have slightly different ranges/packaging options as Yellow Moon is (IME/O) aimed more at individuals (and gives a percentage to school/nursery/scout group/whoever) whereas Bakerross is aimed more at schools and groups - so, for example, you get better pricing on large packs of things from Baker Ross, IYSWIM.

That makes sense, we get give Yellow Moon catalogues to fundraise for school but we buy all the PTA stuff from Baker Ross

izzywizzyisbizzy Tue 23-Oct-12 20:49:07

I have a box of "making" from baker Ross - I spent £50 best money I ever spent - used quidco and had a £5 discount code simply by googling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now