Talk

Advanced search

My (Waitrose kit) Christmas cakes are in the oven

(19 Posts)
Lilymaid Sat 20-Oct-12 15:40:44

Waitrose is selling its Christmas cake kit at the moment at 1/3rd off (£6.66 instead of £9.99). I reckoned that it would cost that much if I purchased all the ingredients separately (and ended up with a load of unused, dried up raisins etc.)
Although the kit is supposed to be for a 7" tin, I've found that there is enough for a 6" cake for us and a 5" cake to give to MIL.
Both cakes are now slowly cooking in the oven and the kitchen smells lovely and spicy.

ISingSoprano Sat 20-Oct-12 15:42:33

I have used their Christmas cake kits for the last two years - they are fab! I was wondering if they were on sale yet, must go and get some.

GrimAndHumourless Sat 20-Oct-12 15:43:04

oooh

we have made the waitrose one for the last few years

tis v good

nom nom nom

gosh that's a GREAT price too, thank you for letting us know

LIZS Sat 20-Oct-12 15:43:27

ooh is this the Delia one again ?

Lilymaid Sat 20-Oct-12 15:49:00

It doesn't say it is Delia's this year. I usually make Delia's cake from scratch and I think it is a little different (no peel or treacle and you are instructed to add the grated rind of one orange rather than some orange and some lemon).
A friend of mine bought the Tesco Mary Berry cake mix when it was very cheap, after Christmas, and made a lovely cake in the summer.
The good thing about the kit versions is that the fruit is super moist as it will have been soaked in brandy for weeks rather than just overnight.

ByTheWay1 Sat 20-Oct-12 15:52:18

What do you have to add to these kits to make the cake? just asking 'cos I have a whole load of eggs left over and can't face another omelette ....

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 20-Oct-12 15:54:23

Didn't even know there were such things as Christmas cake kits... But I do have a big bowlful of dried fruit soaking in brandy right now. Will be baking tomorrow, love the smell!

Lilymaid Sat 20-Oct-12 16:00:14

You have to add eggs and butter to the kit ingredients (3 eggs and 170 gm butter for the Waitrose kit). I was always rather disdainful about kits as I've made my own christmas cakes and puddings for years but the price seemed reasonable and I am time poor!

ByTheWay1 Sun 21-Oct-12 08:15:38

thanks Lilymaid

DoubleMum Sun 21-Oct-12 11:05:27

I made 4 of the Mary Berry ones (think they were £2 each) a few days ago - the fruit in the bag smelt very alcoholic! I haven't sampled them obviously, but they look fine and if I see kits going cheap again this year I'll snap them up for next Christmas.

seabuckthorn Sun 21-Oct-12 15:40:23

Where were the Mary Berry ones from?

seabuckthorn Sun 21-Oct-12 15:42:02

Oh Tesco!

cornybeefhashtag Sun 21-Oct-12 15:43:33

are you supposed to make it this early?
I bought one of the Waitrose kits on Friday but have put it away

Elkieb Sun 21-Oct-12 15:51:29

My tesco own brand one was vile sad. Might have been my baking though grin

ISingSoprano Sun 21-Oct-12 16:28:30

I have just been and bought two cake kits from Waitrose. Very good value for money in my opinion, particularly as this year the kits include marzipan and icing. Not bad for £6.66 grin

Lilymaid Sun 21-Oct-12 16:56:51

ISingSoprano - I would not rely on the timings for baking the cakes. Mine seemed to take far longer than the 2 1/2 - 3 hours recommended (though I did split mine into two smaller cakes and my oven is probably not very accurate on temperature).

MegBusset Sun 21-Oct-12 17:05:27

Hmm, I quite fancy giving this a go. I haven't got a round cake tin though, what size would I need? Anything else?

Lilymaid Sun 21-Oct-12 17:58:21

MegBusset
7" round - which would be a 5" or 6" square. Mumsnet Conversion Chart

cornybeefhashtag
I'm not usually that efficient and most years make my cakes in mid-November, but they will keep for months if they aren't iced (especially if they are fed with brandy at frequest intervals).

ISingSoprano Sun 21-Oct-12 20:13:45

Thanks for the tip Lilymaid, I will bear that in mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now