Talk

Advanced search

Christmas ideas to help Dad without Mum

(5 Posts)
xingowner Wed 17-Oct-12 20:56:39

This will be our 1st Christmas without Mum. Although my DDs are grown up it was always a family affair with Mum at the helm. Ideas needed to help all enjoy whilst still remembering Mum, especially Dad. Thanks

ChestyNutterStaringInTheWindow Wed 17-Oct-12 22:27:08

The year my DF died I arranged and shopped, prepared everything for Christmas because DM couldn't deal with it.

We spent it together and I made a fuss of her, dragging her around visiting etc on Christmas eve. Christmas day we all had a hug and cry remembering DF but had a nice day just being together.

We always sat at the table for Christmas dinner but chose to sit in the lounge with trays as would have been much to painful without DF.

everydayaschoolday Wed 17-Oct-12 22:47:35

Xingowner I'm sorry for your loss. Christmas can be such a difficult time.

Everyone is different - but if it were me, I'd like to reminisce about DM in happy memories of christmas' past. A photo book might help recall the happy memories. And to keep up the traditions that mum liked and everyone enjoyed. I appreciate this won't be for everyone, and you might have to guage how your family feel. I wish you and yours a peaceful Christmas.

girlywhirly Thu 18-Oct-12 12:45:28

The first Christmas after FIL died, I had to help DH cope. We had the same lunch as was his wish, and kept the day pretty much the same, Classic FM on the radio, presents, and so on. We used to have FIL come to stay for sometimes up to 10 days over Christmas so that he could be spoiled and have home cooked food, which he relished after his diet of mostly frozen ready meals.

I did find a photo of DH and FIL at the previous years Christmas lunch, and put it in a gold frame for DH which he liked, and we had it on display near where FIL used to sit and watch the birds in the garden. And we chatted about FIL and how much he used to enjoy his 'Christmas holiday'. We also had a toast to his memory.

xingowner Thu 18-Oct-12 20:37:52

Many thanks for kind thoughts and ideas. What ever we do will be hard but I am sure we will all do our best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now