Talk

Advanced search

Sylvanian families

(19 Posts)
VladIIIDracula Wed 17-Oct-12 14:35:02

Hi

Can anyone recommend a sylvanian families set for DDs Christmas present? She has seen an advert for a winter wonderland?? But I've googled and can't find it.

Also does anyone know a good place to buy them, with good offers or discounts as I've noticed they're quite expensive. Thanks smile

LIZS Wed 17-Oct-12 15:30:07

I think there are various sets in winter wonderland - sledging, skating and the log cabin. The SF website often has bonus packs, the Entertainer (Toyshop.com) and amazon have discounts.

iloveholidays Wed 17-Oct-12 16:14:36

I thought there was a half price cottage in tesco at the moment... Not sure if it's still on though...

HTH

VladIIIDracula Wed 17-Oct-12 20:35:22

Thanks I didn't realise the wonderland involved a number of separate items confused I've looked at the ice skater animals and cabin on amazon and it's going to be more expensive than I thought!

Babyrabbits Wed 17-Oct-12 20:46:56

Car and caravan is a great self contained starter

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 17-Oct-12 20:50:43

seconding car and caravan - you get loads included for about forty-odd quid.
the tesco cottage is really very small. MIL bought it for dd1 last year and you can't get much furniture in.

Babyrabbits Wed 17-Oct-12 21:29:27

Agree about tiny houses. If you have a dolls house already, jusy get family to buy sylvanian stuff for it.

nancy75 Wed 17-Oct-12 21:31:18

If you have a big local sainsburys look put for their half price toy sale. Theynusually do it during half term and often have sylvanian stuff

LIZS Wed 17-Oct-12 21:32:14

The camper van is quite cool , then you can add tents, boats, summerhouse and bbq for a hippy/festival feel. I dd loves them !

VladIIIDracula Wed 17-Oct-12 23:13:05

The campervan looks really cool, I want one for me smile I only have a Sainburys local nearby, but there is a big one about 1/2 hour drive away. When does the sale start?

Missmuffet28 Wed 17-Oct-12 23:23:22

I bought dsd the big manor house last Xmas it was approx £60 ish it came with two figures and a few measly bits of furniture it did have working lights and stuff tho and we asked all family to just buy her the little sets of stuff to go with it she loved it I also loved it but no one need know that! since then in picked up quite a few cheap second hand bits from Facebook got the blue family car and 5 figures for £15 the other day they aren't boxed but they are immaculate and a bargain I thought. This year I would like to subscribe her to the magazine you get some limited edition figures with that also thought that would be a nice pressie, sylvanians bring back lots of childhood memories for me i adored them and they hold their value rather well (keep the boxes!) if that helps you look past the rather large price tag too start with, if you search vintage sylvanians on eBay you can see for yourself smile Argos just had a 3 for 2 on all toys think its finished now but maybe keep an eye out for another what with it being festive season and all that I know they sell some bits.

nancy75 Wed 17-Oct-12 23:28:20

The last couple of years the sainsburys sale has started on the Thursday of half term, but half tern is late this year and they haven't announced any dates yet. Be warned, if it is on you need to get there early, I went before work last year, at about 7am and it was like a rugby scrum!

Babyrabbits Thu 18-Oct-12 06:45:53

Our mainly comes second hand, buy in june for christmas! If you can stretch to a big bundle you will save a lot of money.

Marne Thu 18-Oct-12 10:27:10

We bought sylvanians last year, it hardly got played with so it went on e-bay a few months ago, we kept the farm cottage as dd2 likes to put moshi monsters in it. I would reccomend buying either a house or the car and caravan set, if you buy a house you will need furniture and animals so will end up costing a fortune, i think the caravan and car has everything with it (maybe a figure or 2 too).

KevinFoley Thu 18-Oct-12 10:46:45

What I would suggest with Sylvanian families is to get her the ones she actually wants rather than ones you/others think are more 'value for money'. At least then there is a high chance they will be played with. Just buy a couple of bits from the range she wants, relatives can always be asked to provide additional kit or she can save up in the future and add things then if she likes them.

pigleychez Thu 18-Oct-12 12:40:06

Argos Clearance has some animals and small bits reduced at the mo.

here

oreocrumbs Sat 20-Oct-12 00:35:41

Hamleys have a lot of sylvanian families on for half price.

DorisIsWaiting Wed 24-Oct-12 11:58:46

windmill nursery (with bits inside) and highfields barn are both 1/2 price in the sainbury toy sale

Teddimac Fri 26-Oct-12 22:20:47

We are overrun with Sylvanian Families thanks to my mum (I was too old for it the first time round so she's making up for it with the granddaughters...). Most played with are definitely the car and caravan. DD2 also loves the Field View Mill, although frequently fills it with anything but SF animals; in particular she likes to tie dinosaurs to the working sails as if it were some kind of prehistoric fairground ride... Ooh, the bus is also really cute, especially if you've got a few of the figures already - it's got a picnic hamper and table secretly hidden away and you can buy the driver and conductor to go with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now