Talk

Advanced search

Gift ideas for MIL

(24 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Tue 16-Oct-12 13:42:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trickynicky Tue 16-Oct-12 13:44:40

I got my MIL a necklace with sort of silver pebbles on it with the initials of her grandchildren on them.... she was over the moon. Not sure how to top that this year though so lurking with interest!

OrangeLily Tue 16-Oct-12 13:45:03

Could she do a pamper treatment like a manicure or hand massage? You could turn it in to a Girly day? Therapist could come to the house if she can't manage out.

Box set.

Cinema tickets.

Elizabeth22 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:22:54

Elizabeth22 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:23:57

cocolepew Tue 16-Oct-12 19:26:10

Subscribtion to photography or bird magazines?

PotteringAlong Tue 16-Oct-12 19:26:50

Why don't you make a film night box? DVD, pj's, new slippers etc?

Dramajustfollowsme Tue 16-Oct-12 19:31:06

We got mil a bird table for the garden as she loves the garden but couldn't get out much in it because of arthritis. This year she is getting a necklace.

OB1Kenobi Tue 16-Oct-12 19:33:25

We bought FIL a bird box with a camera in it so he could watch any nesting birds on his TV.

OrangeLily Tue 16-Oct-12 22:29:15

I'd planned on doing it for my Granny but unfortunately didn't get the chance and easily found therapists who would come to the house.

Even found one lady who had previously worked in a hospice so was used to treating the elderly and their sore or stiff bits.

Plus the film day and new slippers sounds like a plan grin

You could print it on a 'voucher, a bit like an experience day

mameulah Tue 16-Oct-12 23:13:07

Have you looked on the 'not on the high street' website? They have really good ideas at varying different prices.

FuntimeFelicity Wed 17-Oct-12 10:30:11

I was also going to suggest a bird box with camera. Also WigglyWigglers do a bird food and info thing where you get a box every month so it's a present for the whole year.

FireOverBabylon Wed 17-Oct-12 10:38:18

Not a whole present in its own right, but you could get her the Countryfile calendar for 2013.

If she can no longer do food, can she still drink alcohol - a nice bottle of wine or port?

BeaLola Wed 17-Oct-12 11:11:01

I would suggest for necklaces etc you look on Not On The High Street as they have a big range of jewellery etc.

I am thinking of "fingerprint/handprint" of grandson for MIL type necklace (have posted separately on this).

Depends on your budget but why not do a sort of hamper of gifts eg lovely cashmere jumper/cardigan, fab hand-cream, gorgeous smelly candle, fave DVD, voucher for manicure or a day out with you, msybe theatre tickets ?, - lots you vould add to it.

Elizabeth22 Wed 17-Oct-12 13:50:02

rhondajean Wed 17-Oct-12 14:00:42

I think the bird table or the bird box with the camera would make wonderful presents for someone who loves bird watching and can't get out to do it.

Chopsypie Wed 17-Oct-12 14:04:26

Depends how tech savvy she is, but we've just got a voucher from Groupon for my MIL for a 100 page photo book. She takes a lot of pictures but rarely does anything with them, so now she can create her own book,

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 17-Oct-12 14:10:15

I read the OP and also thought immediately of bird box with camera... So I 'fourth' what they all said before me!

Can she not eat anything, or can she 'only' not swallow solids? If latter, are there some lovely sweets that would dissolve and not need to be swallowed, but would allow her to experience some delicious/unusual etc tastes? NB hope that is not insensitive thought, not sure how tastebuds etc may have been impacted.

Baaartimaeus Wed 17-Oct-12 14:11:45

MIL this year is getting a surprise stocking (they don't really do stockings in this country so she's never had one) with some posh chocolates, possibly a keyring with a photo of DS in it and a bookmark and some nice hankies and anything else I can find between now and Christmas, just so she has lots of little things to open.

Under the tree she's getting 3 vinyl records (her request) and a calendar with photos of DS and a pashmina.

Maybe a nice throw for her to snuggle under?

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 17-Oct-12 14:12:13

Ooh, does she like 'weather' ? I got a weather station thingy that suctions to the outside of the window for a family friend with very limited mobility. Went. Down. A. Storm. (ahem)

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 17-Oct-12 14:15:54

Have a squizz on RSPB site here - there are some lovely bird boxes and camera thingies that might inspire you!

ClaudiaWinklepants Wed 17-Oct-12 14:24:03

Another one recommending the bird box with camera. Purchased one for my dad & it's become his new hobby, we all had to troop round there to see his first nest hatch - anyone would thing that he laid those eggs himself grin

I got mine off EBay if that helps

ClaudiaWinklepants Wed 17-Oct-12 14:24:45

*think not thing grrrr!

Elizabeth22 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:27:25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now