Talk

Advanced search

Games consoles for 3yo & 6yo

(11 Posts)
BooCanary Mon 15-Oct-12 22:29:05

Thinking of buying some sort of games console for DS (3.5yo) and DD (6yo). Been umming and ahhhhing over the leap pad or innotab, but they seem to get bad reviews.

Only really want to spend £50-70 each. Latest idea is a DSLite off eBay for DD and some kind of leapfrog/ vtech thing for DS (explorer maybe).

Anyone got any advice?

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Mon 15-Oct-12 23:07:34

My nephew has a leap pad and he finds it quite hard to use (he's 6). What about a Wii? You can get all sorts of games for it and they are not too expensive now.

BooCanary Mon 15-Oct-12 23:11:35

We have actually got a Wii already. Dd enjoys it but I was wanting something more portable - for car/out and about.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Mon 15-Oct-12 23:13:41

After my experience of them I think the Leapfrog / vtech things aimed at young children are a waste of money. Once my DD had seen her brothers DS she did not want to go back to the Leapfrog. I would think about DS's for both of them. You can get some good educational games for young children. Or could you get a tablet of some sort so you could buy cheap app's. The ipad would be great, but is way over your budget.

rainbowriver Tue 16-Oct-12 10:57:54

My DD is 5.5 and has a Wii which she never ever uses, a DS which she uses sometimes and an Innotab which she loves.

So I would recommend the Innotab but every child is different. The games are very cheap, we downloaded two new ones last night for £2.99 each.

HTH

ChippyMinton Tue 16-Oct-12 11:41:33

DS lite is a good idea - DD was 6 when she got hers. What's her reading like? Some games are easier to use than others - at that age I think she liked things like Cooking Mama and Peppa Pig.

BooCanary Tue 16-Oct-12 19:45:51

Thanks for the advice. Still a bit confused. Sods law I'll buy dd a ds, and DS an innotab, and they'll both want to Play with the same one. Gah!

Taffeta Wed 17-Oct-12 20:42:22

DS got a DSi when he was 7, for his 9th brthday in a few weeks he's getting an iPod touch on the proviso he gives his 6 yo sister his DSi.

We'll get her a few games for Christmas - eg Moshi Theme Park. Well, we won't, we will ask grandparents to as we are getting a family Christmas present of the new Wii U.

BooCanary Wed 17-Oct-12 21:28:41

Do dcs need to be 5+yo for a ds?
IS DS too young for a ds? I know he'll want one if I get one for dd!!

BooCanary Wed 17-Oct-12 21:55:03

Do dcs need to be 5+yo for a ds?
IS DS too young for a ds? I know he'll want one if I get one for dd!!

ObiWan Thu 18-Oct-12 07:13:03

My 3 yo was fine with a DS. The Lego games are great, and Thomas the tank engine. Super Mario games are good too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now