Talk

Advanced search

Same present for everyone?! Am I mad?

(21 Posts)
cazinge Sun 14-Oct-12 22:00:25

So, we are hosting Christmas for the first time this year.

We have the following people to buy for and as we are hosting we are thinking of just getting everyone a small (£10ish) present and either all the same thing or variations on a theme - am I mad to think I can do this? The stars indicate the selfish people who have their birthday between now and then so I'm not just being stingy.

Mum*, Dad*, Grandad, Nan, Uncle, MIL, FIL, SIL*, BIL*, DNiece (17yo)*

Anyone got any ideas for something non-naff?

ivykaty44 Sun 14-Oct-12 22:02:01

photograph frames
pretty scarf for ladies wallets for men

BeaWheesht Sun 14-Oct-12 22:04:14

Check out the bargain thread - you could get the ladies an Orla kiely scarf each for £9.90

boredandrestless Sun 14-Oct-12 22:07:01

One year I did everyone a movie night package.

cheap DVD, popcorn, these would be fab too - I found them after I did mine:
http://www.dotcomgiftshop.com/popcorn-holder-small

I put a mini bottle of wine or small beer in the grown up ones, and a glass bottle of cocacola in the kids ones.

Could easily do them for any age and for under £10. They were well received by all when I did them.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Sun 14-Oct-12 22:42:47

I'm quite naff at Christmas grin. How about a brightly coloured pair of woolly gloves all round (£5-£8?) and a classic paperback for a quid, titles as appropriate. Plus a tangerine and a chocolate coin!

doinmummy Sun 14-Oct-12 22:46:49

I bought lots of pretty compact mirrors for the girls last year. Accessorize do nice ones.

Posh wine for the chaps?

cazinge Sun 14-Oct-12 23:19:44

Great ideas :-D particularly like the movie night idea. Was thinking could do a mini bottle of a fav tipple & a personalised glass (could decorate myself!)

OhTheConfusion Mon 15-Oct-12 01:34:53

Well my Dsis and I are taking over our parents kitchen and 'doing' christmas this year as A. They deserve a rest, B. I am moving and will be half renovated :-( and C. Her flat is too small for all of us.

We went a bit doolally during the week and thought it was a good idea to raid primark for 'festive knitwear' after a glass of wine with lunch blush. Looking at the rather huge pile of 15 dodgy jumpers and cardigans I would not suggest you do the same confused... oh well, it will make for a funny photo or two.

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 15-Oct-12 01:55:33

Molton Brown shower wash? You can get them cheaper on shopping channels and the like. Loads of nice ones for women, and the cracked black pepper one for men is really nice. Get them to box them up individually for you too and then they have the proper air of luxury.

Isla77 Mon 15-Oct-12 17:20:15

Love the movie night package idea. I did goodie bags for all the family last year and the movie night package would be different slant on that. Mumsnet is a great place to get ideas. So many creative people on here. Thank you.

ChippyMinton Mon 15-Oct-12 17:23:46

I bought everyone mini Maglite torches in different colours one year (from TK Maxx IIRC)

ValiumQueen Mon 15-Oct-12 17:25:45

I got everyone ice grippers that fit over shoes one year. They were not impressed, then the snow came and we were inundated with gratitude.

JennaLemon Mon 15-Oct-12 17:26:11

Not a bad Idea!!

one year when I was working I went to boots and got all the wimmen a hedgehog hair brush and a box of chocolates. the men got a shaving brush and some butch moisturiser. and nobody looked any more disappointed than they usually looked. success. :-|

FairyPenguin Mon 15-Oct-12 17:26:31

We gave everyone a book one Christmas. All were well-received. Or how about a Christmas stocking each, with lots of little treats in them? For £10, you could do both as Tesco often have books on 2 for £7.

zipzap Mon 15-Oct-12 19:08:26

No - I often do it. Or at least have a male present and a female present variation.

This year, females are getting a handbag organiser.

The link is to the amazon one - they have lots around £8-15. On the other hand, I am going to get them from Ebay - where they seem to cost about £3-5 and they are using identical photos to the amazon ones grin. I'm going to order one to start with (must remember to do that soon!) just to double check the quality is OK and then will order a job lot of them in assorted colours (depending on stockist there seem to be up to about 6 different colours they come in).

I've had a handbag organiser in the past and it has been really useful. THese seem a bit big maybe but most of the people I know that will be getting them either have big bags or will be able to use them to keep a kit of bits and bobs they need handy in a big bag like a gym bag or overnight locker.

People that I would normally give a bigger present to will get some extras within their organiser (some little just like a pack of tissues or wipes), notepad and pen, etc. Maybe something bigger like a favourite lipstick. And for my mum, sis and aunt, they will get them as an extra to their main present.

For men and women in the past I've given neoprene travel bags - boots a couple of years ago did a fab set that came in manly black or fancy flowery turquoise, that were just right to put in chargers and things when travelling and then a smaller one that was good for tablets or jewellery or watches or such stuff. Not sure if they are doing them this year but they went down very well and have subsequently been well used (I've seen them in people's bags as well as being told!)

Sometimes Sports Direct have something similar - they also have jelly watches for 50p if you want something fun and small...

PoppyScarer Mon 15-Oct-12 19:17:44

Love the movie night idea!

sunnyday123 Mon 15-Oct-12 20:22:46

Tkmaxx today had mini popcorn holders in packs of 10 for £2.99!

Sparkletastic Mon 15-Oct-12 20:27:55

I wouldn't thank you for a handbag organiser - v odd. confused
Movie night package great idea though.

1stMrsF Wed 24-Oct-12 19:57:49

I am trying to do the same thing, although not on the same scale - grouping together similar recipients. My ideas so far: (most of these are shamelessly stolen from the Christmas bargainaceous thread)

Friends of the DCs that I buy for are getting a facecloth embroidered with their name plus some fun soap or bath bubbles.

Family friends (couples with no children or grown up children) are getting L'Occitane soap and soap dish plus in some cases a handbag organiser (see above!) and/or a tea towel from the DCs nursery (with handprints of all the kids on it)

Godparents are getting teatowels and photos (and handbag organisers...)

I am also doing a movie night for a few people.

One thing is for sure, you'll be able to spot a Mumsnetter this year from the limited selection of gifts under her tree grin

LynetteScavo Wed 24-Oct-12 20:08:45

We don't really do adult presents (lots of siblings, their partners and their grown up children) - so I quite often give everyone a book (The book People) - other people give everybody a bottle of homemade wine/jam massive bar of chocolate etc.

Movie night is a great idea. I get the feeling lots of mnetters friends and family will be getting that this year smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now