Talk

Advanced search

Where can I get a hamper to fill with Xmas presents? Or hamper alternatives?

(20 Posts)
BalloonAnimals Sun 14-Oct-12 13:38:59

Just that really, going to fill a hamper with bits and bobs for my parents but need a hamper or something I could use instead. Any suggestions?

HomeBargains had nice baskets in different sizes which are specifically for this kind of thing. Though they didnt have lids if thats the kind you are after.

OVoodooZombiesEatYourBrains Sun 14-Oct-12 13:41:10

Tk Maxx.

Though I often just use a cardboard box covered with nice paper.

BalloonAnimals Sun 14-Oct-12 14:23:10

Thanks, I'll have a look at those, I have both Home Bargains and a TK Maxx nearby. I'd prefer a basket with a lid but I'm not bother, just need something of a good size as its a present for two people so will have quite a few bits in it.

UltraBOF Sun 14-Oct-12 14:26:19

I was going to suggest Home Bargains- they have nice open wicker baskets lined with Christmassy red fabric for £5.99 that would fit plenty in.

BalloonAnimals Sun 14-Oct-12 14:32:41

BOF Those sound like exactly what I'm after, I'll go and have a look at those.

BalloonAnimals Sun 14-Oct-12 14:37:48

Just had a look on their website, think these are them www.homebargains.co.uk/products/5836-christmas-luxury-hamper-basket-large.aspx

UltraBOF Sun 14-Oct-12 14:48:28

Yes, they're the ones. There's a slightly smaller versin for a quid cheaper.

Yes, those are the ones I saw too. I think there are three or four different sizes. I desperately want to make a hamper this year, but noone to give it too!

southdevondelight Sun 14-Oct-12 14:54:20

I'm looking for hampers too - sorry to be fussy but those are just "baskets" and I need old-fashioned ones with a lid (like picnic baskets which cost a fortune). Any high street shops spring to mind please?

BalloonAnimals Sun 14-Oct-12 14:59:11

Wannabe I am doing a hamper for my parents, I'm just going to pick up bits and pieces as and when I see them and hope it all comes together. They are hard to buy for and my much richer sister buys them really expensive things that I just can't compete with (iPhones, Kindles etc) so I'm hoping they will appreciate the personal touch.

Found this one of Dunelm which might be good too www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/chestnut-shopper-basket-with-cream-liner-156972

BalloonAnimals Sun 14-Oct-12 15:00:35

www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/chestnut-chest-with-cream-liner-156971

Any good South ?

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Sun 14-Oct-12 15:12:05

I just googled and found these people. Probably no good for one hamper as they are trade suppliers and have a minimum order of £50, but might be useful for anyone planning to give everybody a hamper.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Sun 14-Oct-12 15:12:54

There are a few options on Fleabay as well if you browse for them.

Celestialcloud Sun 14-Oct-12 20:59:49

I was in whittards yesterday and they had picnic style hamper baskets with leather buckles, something like £7 for a small one and £12 for a biggun. I'm not sure how competitive that is but they looked really lovely :-)

BiddyPop Mon 15-Oct-12 09:59:42

Apart from baskets (great if there are alternate uses) or a nice cardboard box (or not so nice but covered in nice paper), there are lots of receptacles you could use.

Could you relate it to the contents?
So a set of foodie things or kitchen things could go on a nice tray, or a Christmassy plate.
A set of things for cleaning the car could go into a new bucket (my Bro loved that one!).
OK, my mind has now gone blank on other possibilities, but I know there must be more once my brain wakes up (lack of sleep last night). But you get the idea.

CherryMonster Mon 15-Oct-12 12:32:57

i bought a wicker shopping basket from amazon to make a hamper for my mum. she has always wanted one. wannabe- you can make me a hamper if you like, i dont mind wink

zipzap Mon 15-Oct-12 19:11:06

Bit different but if you wanted to give them something with a travel theme, you could use a bag organiser like this

The link is to the amazon one - they have lots around £8-15. On the other hand, I am going to get them from Ebay - where they seem to cost about £3-5 and they are using identical photos to the amazon ones grin. I'm going to order one to start with (must remember to do that soon!) just to double check the quality is OK and then will order a job lot of them in assorted colours (depending on stockist there seem to be up to about 6 different colours they come in).

I've had a handbag organiser in the past and it has been really useful. THese seem a bit big maybe but most of the people I know that will be getting them either have big bags or will be able to use them to keep a kit of bits and bobs they need handy in a big bag like a gym bag or overnight locker.

People that I would normally give a bigger present to will get some extras within their organiser (some little just like a pack of tissues or wipes), notepad and pen, etc. Maybe something bigger like a favourite lipstick. And for my mum, sis and aunt, they will get them as an extra to their main present.

But they could also work really well if you were to fill them up with all sorts of travel goodies, or day to day useful stuff. Could put some foodie bits in but wouldn't work if you were doing a completely food and drink hamper obviously!

Babyrabbits Tue 16-Oct-12 06:57:40

I got old fashioned hampers, lid etc from charity shops, i had to ask as they were upstairs. Cost £3. Each and they had three of them.

They were very well received.

BiddyPop Tue 16-Oct-12 13:46:39

If you are doing anything kind of gardening themed, you could use something like a large pot, window box or a trug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now