Talk

Advanced search

Golf clubs?

(8 Posts)
SheppySheepdog Sat 13-Oct-12 08:17:32

I'm not sure how good an idea this is but DH is always moaning about how much he'd love to play golf. He works ridiculous hours, we have two young children and we are doing work on our house at the moment so neither of us have any spare time whatsoever but we're hopeful this will change in the new year.

He doesn't have his own clubs, just borrows his brother's when he does get the chance to go and play but I am wondering about getting him some of his own for Christmas. Is this the kind of thing you can just buy someone? He has made no preference known so I'm going into it blind. Does anyone have any recommendations for brand, model etc? Where do I start?!

Prizepudding Sat 13-Oct-12 08:48:43

My husband plays golf now and then, I can ask him later about brand. My suggestion is look on local gumtree or eBay as they are expensive to buy new if he is not going to make it out on the course much. My husband just got a nearly new Nike golf bag off gumtree for £30 which he is very happy with.

Sports direct also have some offers on golf sets:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-tour-tp12-graphite-golf-set-876118

Think it's an ok brand, will report back.

Cobra are a pretty decent brand, as are Mizuno, Callaway.

You can buy a set, 4 iron, 5, 6, 7, 8 iron, 9 iron, pitching wedge, sand wedge for starters.

You are only allowed 13 clubs I think.

It's a pretty expensive present to get wrong, and people have a feel for their own brand favourites,height preference etc. So it may be an idea to buy him a voucher for clubs and go along together? Or take his brother?

Or buy him some golf shoes, vouchers for a local course, lessons, driving range time?

OhTheConfusion Sat 13-Oct-12 23:03:37

DH is a golfer and loves his Ping set. I wouldn't go and buy him a set though as he always likes to get a feel for them, then they get measured up and cut to size etc.

Perhaps book him an appointment with the pro at your local course and pay for the set he chooses from the club shop? Club shops tend to work out good value as they will do you a deal and size for free.

whoneedstosleep Sun 14-Oct-12 08:48:41

My DH also golfs (a lot!) and would always shop for his own set.
As ohtheconfusion says , they need measured and he gets different grips put on them.

A voucher for the shop would be a good idea.

You are very thoughtful, we also have 2 young children & very little time but I do everything I can to put him off golfing to help out at home! ;-)

BigBroomstickBIWI Sun 14-Oct-12 09:05:05

It also depends on how much you want to spend - it could be a very expensive gift!

I'm buying my DH a new set this Christmas, and am expecting to pay around £450-500. I'm taking him to see the professional at my brother's golf club. He has a studio where they film you taking a shot, and then design the clubs to fit the way that you play.

But - are you really sure you want to encourage this habit?! A round of golf can take a good four hours to play - plus the time to get there, time for the inevitable drink afterwards and then time to get home. If you already don't have much time, this isn't going to help. We (I play too) simply couldn't fit golf in when our DC were small.

SheppySheepdog Sun 14-Oct-12 09:19:32

Thanks everyone, great advice here!

Iat bought it might be a personal thing to each player and as I am completely clueless I would hate to get it wrong!

Will have a look at some of the suggested sites now - although now also wondering if this is something I want to encourage! grin

SheppySheepdog Sun 14-Oct-12 09:22:32

Thought not iat bought. confused

BigBroom that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now