Talk

Advanced search

Homemade xmas hampers

(7 Posts)
cuteable Fri 12-Oct-12 16:15:14

This year Im thinking ahead and thinking of making Christmas hampers for some family members. So Im thinking of good things to put in them and thought Id start a thread for anyone else doing hampers. I dont have a particular theme, so far Im thinking:

Homemade lavendar bags
Homemade shortbread
homemade lemon curd
Homemade Jam
Homemade chuckney
Nice writting paper & pen
Possibly homemade soap

Im still thinking of other ideas.

cuteable Fri 12-Oct-12 16:15:40

Mini fruit cakes

Inneedofbrandy Fri 12-Oct-12 16:17:26

Theres a jar on nigella website with tinned peaches and a few other ingredients in a kilner jar.

DoubleMum Fri 12-Oct-12 17:37:42

I've already made:
Christmas chutney
Onion marmalade
Strawberry & Rhubarb Jam
Gooseberry Jam
Toffee Vodka
Orange Brandy Marmalade

Last year the extras I did on top of those were:
Christmas biscotti
Candied nuts
Shortcake
Snowman Soup
Ricciarelli
Chocolate slabs
Peanut butter fudge
Peppermint creams

This year I haven't quite decided. Definitely some kind of biscotti & the ricciarelli. Definitely some kind of fudge and the candied nuts (my kids loved them).
Maybe this - Chocolate truffle egg box
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2066659/chocolate-truffle-egg-box

Maybe this - Sea salt chocolate snaps
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sea_salt_chocolate_snaps_81237

Maybe this: Dan Lepard’s orange and pistachio stollen bars
www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/02/christmas-party-recipes-dan-lepard?newsfeed=true

cuteable Sun 14-Oct-12 14:55:28

Oh wow you are all organised. can i ask what you put the toffee vodka in? found some vodka in the loft. also will it keep until xmas and beyond? i saw a recipe for xmas chuckled but didnt know how long it'll keep...

EricNorthmansFangBanger Sun 14-Oct-12 15:19:27

Ooh these sound lovely. Do you have recipes to share for them please?

DoubleMum Sun 14-Oct-12 16:56:38

I'm putting the toffee vodka in nice vinegar bottles - used the vinegar in the chutney.
I'm not sure if it was me you wanted recipes from EricNFB, but will put some here in case it helps.
Christmas Chutney (make this soon if you're making it, it does need to mature
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/christmaschutney_2803
Onion marmalade
www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/popular-dishes/jams-and-chutneys/red-onion-marmalade-recipe
The jams I just made up really but there's lots of recipes around. The toffee vodka - put some werthers into some vodka!
Orange brandy marmalade - I use Mamade as instructed on the tin and add a big splosh of brandy towards the end.
Christmas biscotti - I messed about a bit with the ingredients according to what I had, but this is absolutely delicious and really easy.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8022/fruity-christmas-biscotti
Candied nuts
blogs.howstuffworks.com/2009/12/12/how-to-make-candied-nuts-walnuts-pecans-almonds-etc-like-street-vendors-do/
Ricciarelli (I used bought ground almonds)
www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/ricciarelli-1932428.html
Peanut butter fudge (I use vanilla extract rather than buying a vanilla pod)
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/peanutbutterfudge_93630

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now