Talk

Advanced search

How much do you spend on your dcs

(14 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Thu 11-Oct-12 12:01:53

Just doing a bit of Christmas shopping. Do you have a limit for each dc? Do you spend the same on each?

LadySybildeChocolate Thu 11-Oct-12 12:05:11

I only have one child. It depends on what I can afford, as I think it's stupid to get into debt for one day, so it varies from year to year. They are your children, you know what they need and only you know what you can afford.

jester68 Thu 11-Oct-12 14:04:51

Hi.

I spend what we can afford and also depends on what the children are after!

I never buy for the sake of buying, so once we have got what we know the children will love we stop buying.

As for spending the same? Normally I would say yes BUT there are 4 years between our children. And the younger the children are the more you seem to be able to get for your money.

My youngest has had about £90 spent on her. She is 2.

My eldest has about £140 on her. She is 6.

But they have similar amount of presents to open. Though my youngest seems to have bigger packages?!

But this is more to do with the fact her toys are all chunky, where as my eldest is into DS games, books, CDs etc as well as toys so some of her stuff is obviously a lot smaller.

So spend what you can afford without going into debt. Don't overly worry about spending the same on all. Obviously £150 say on a 12 year old would not go that far, yet £60 on a 2 year old is a lot!

TheMightyRubester Thu 11-Oct-12 14:11:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ilovecake1 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:48:03

Same here really, depends what they need. Last year 7yrs and 6yrs had an iPad each so prob spent around £800 each....this year they don't need anything big, so prob about £200 each.

youbethemummylion Thu 11-Oct-12 20:51:21

I do £50 each of actual out of the bank money but also save up my nectar points and tesco vouchers and spend those on them as well.

Mrscog Thu 11-Oct-12 21:58:37

This year £2 as DS is 7 months and I found an immaculate wooden train at a car boot sale. I suspect this figure will rise in years to come!

LucieMay Thu 11-Oct-12 22:01:48

About £500 on six y o ds.

2kidsintow Thu 11-Oct-12 23:55:30

I aim to get everything they want for about £100, but with inflation and their growing up and wanting more expensive things, that has crept up to £150.

Marne Fri 12-Oct-12 11:42:22

Last year i probably spent around £200 each but this year now they are getting older there isn't much they want, they are 6 and 8 so i know this will change again once they hit teens smile.

Dd1 is geting a 2nd hand Wii and a skylanders giants starter pack (so probably £100)

Dd2 is getting a scooter and moshi monster HQ (so £50 ish)

They will also get lots of tat but i'm struggling to find things for them this year.

mrscumberbatch Fri 12-Oct-12 11:49:55

I buy throughout the year so don't notice it so much but probably spend about £200-£300 on DD (3).

The odd tenner here and there adds up quickly. I always get a fright when I look in the 'secret hiding place' when it comes to wrap them.

SheppySheepdog Fri 12-Oct-12 12:55:48

I aim for about 100-150 each plus stockings. This year ds1 is a bit over budget but ds2 is below (and they wont really notice) so the figures work out about right.

SheppySheepdog Fri 12-Oct-12 12:58:13

Stockings are also more than usual but this is because I bought new (gorgeous, soft) ones this year in Mamas and Papas. They're lovely if anyone is looking.

Theas18 Fri 12-Oct-12 13:08:15

Duuno. Not that much, though it might be more this Xmas. "big pressie" and lots of small stuff (such a stingy mum but they don't seem to feel deprived).

Now they are teens the "lots of stuff" is TBH stuff they need anyway, but nicer versions of it IYSWIM. Toiletries, jamas , stationary for school/college etc

We've also started doing slightly silly presents that have practical applications rather than Hawkins tat that never gets opened..... DS had a tin of posh soup from M+S last year and I'll probably make DD1 a food parcel of " naice ham" etc to take back to uni! It'll be like shopping for great grandmas hamper all over again LOL

DS will be having driving lessons (gulp!) as a birth/Xmas as he's 17 in January.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now