Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a family present please!

(15 Posts)
FreddoBaggyMac Thu 11-Oct-12 06:52:10

Like most of the world we're a bit short of cash this year and I've agreed with my friend (who has five children) that we'll buy a present for the whole family rather than for the DCs individually (and she's doing the same for us). Any suggestions for something suitable for children aged 2 -9 who already have lots of stuff? I was thinking along the lines of a family game, but it will need to be something a bit different or they'll probably already have it! Budget is £20 max (preferably closer to £10). Thank you x

DharmaBumpkin Thu 11-Oct-12 06:57:07

We love both Blokus and Ingenious... Both 4 players max but games that are interesting for adults but still competitively playable for the kids.

DameEnidsOrange Thu 11-Oct-12 07:01:07

I think a game suitable for the younger child may be too boring for the older one and what's suitable for the older child would be too complicated for the younger.

How about a big box of arts and crafts stuff? Ours always need replenishing. Stick in some sweets and chocolate and you're on to a winner.

mamij Thu 11-Oct-12 07:20:02

Charades for kids (Or Charades - Kids on Stage) unless they already have it. The younger ones can use the pictures and older ones use the written cards.

Taffeta Thu 11-Oct-12 11:06:56

I've got QBitz for us this year. We got Articulate for Kids last yr

FreddoBaggyMac Thu 11-Oct-12 13:56:51

Thanks all, will check out all your suggestions...

SingingSands Thu 11-Oct-12 13:58:49

Fill a box with:

Bottle of wine (for the adults)
Bars of chocolate (poundland good for multi packs)
Magazines
Comics
Joke book.

FreddoBaggyMac Thu 11-Oct-12 14:04:25

Arts and craft box is a good idea, but I'll need to send it in the post so probably not that practical. All of the games sound fab, it's just going to be hard to decide between them (and I want to buy all of them for my own DCs as well!!) Thanks again xx

Kahlua4me Thu 11-Oct-12 14:06:45

My friend and I did that last year.
We sorted out a Wii game that we both wanted and bought the same thing! You could even wrap up your own to give to your kids and save on postage- use that money to buy wine instead

Arithmeticulous Thu 11-Oct-12 14:08:17

Ooh - nice idea.

Carcassonne or Mastermind or Shut the Box with a large box of chocolates?

FreddoBaggyMac Thu 11-Oct-12 21:02:20

Love that idea Kahlua smile
Thanks again everyone - am having trouble narrowing it down now as all suggestions are good!!

ja9 Thu 11-Oct-12 21:59:22

How about a new dvd, with a large bag of popcorn and a family set of these

FreddoBaggyMac Fri 12-Oct-12 06:41:41

Great idea ja9, I'm really spoilt for choice! And the trouble is I want to buy all of this stuff for my own family too!

Geordieminx Fri 12-Oct-12 06:44:11

Bop it is quite addictive for adults as well as children.

Also there is an Angry Birds board game out just now too

insanityscratching Sat 13-Oct-12 08:37:23

A six month love film subscription it's usually on a deal on Amazon pretty regularly. Or Netflix perhaps. Or a dvd, popcorn, sweets, fizzy pop and chocolate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now